• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Is it just me that thinks zeal was so much better?

trickshotwin

Legacy Supporter 2
A smaller map is always better. DragonGarde is massive! Zeal seemed smaller and since it was smaller, there was more pvp. You're town needed actual allies, not just people who sign charters and pretend to be friends. Also, when somebodys bed was destroyed, the would go to the spawn. It was a sacrafice to die, but not without a reward.

WoleverEntun

Legacy Supporter 3
I was nothing during Sanctum, I sat in my hill castle preying on travelers and building an impenetrable mine to hold my 14 gold, of which I had no idea how to sell. Then I joined an inactive Skyforge, and the map ended. I really liked the Spawn, Towns, and atmosphere of Sanctum overall though.

trickshotwin

Legacy Supporter 2
Don't froget, things evolve. You can't stay a kid forever even if you want to be. But don't forget that to every negative, there is a positive

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Has anyone played since the original HC map and is still playing now? I went from the tail end of Sanctum up through here, but I can't think of anyone I know who's gone much further than beginning of Sanctum. Well, besides for, say, Kainzo
There's a few people. Alator is from the very beginning.

Pringle285

Legacy Supporter 4
I wasn't around at the very start of zeal so I have never heard of these problems, and tbh I see what most people are saying. And I guess ur right Kainzo :), just original experience that made it so good. The new feeling of just joining the server.

Dielan9999

Legacy Supporter 5
From a building standpoint, Sanctum (my furthest back point of reference) was amazing, every town, even dead ones looked cool. From a PVP standpoint, the person with the better gear usually won, it was so one-sided people would run for their lives when they saw someone else.

Zeal had nice towns too, DG however, does not in my opinion.

70% of towns in DG are boxes, or underground apartments like @zachimon described. Towns in Sanctum were awesome because people were protected by the region that was pvp-off on the whole thing, not protected by walls and a roof/dome.

Zeal, because people were used to Sanctum and getting bearings down, looked nice while also emphasized a new importance on security. DG is just a bunch of paranoid dwarfs living in little cave colonies.

That's why I (with my friends) tore my town's wall down :p People need to stop being afraid of other people and PVP, or else this map will get archived and people flying around in creative to see what we have done are just gonna see a bunch of pixel art on shoebox town walls and nothing more. (they won't be able to get inside to see!)

whitemagehealu

Legacy Supporter 7
The only thing I think is better about Zeal is the spawn. Zeal spawn felt so much more accessible. I don't know where anything is in the spawn now except where the herogates are. x)

MajorasMask

Ungodly
What GreekCrackShot is so true! :p

All I say about this map, in terms of what I dislike, is spawn. It is nice, but I too feel that Zeal's spawn was a lot easier to get through! :p

This map fixed a SHIT LOAD of errors in Zeal. :D First, there was no x-ray, which means that half the server's resources didn't get depleted in the first month (unlike in Zeal). Second, new rules have been set to prevent the abuse of regions, which I like a lot. There have been many other great changes, such as the fixing of many broken skills and bugs in the Heroes plug-in.

Overall, yes, Zeal was good. It did have a lot of PvP, but PvP isn't for everyone. I had good times there too, but it doesn't mean I won't have good times now! :p

Pringle285

Legacy Supporter 4
@MajorasMask this is classed as a 'hardcore' server. Pvp is the core of this server... Cant handle pvp dont play on a clearly labled hardcore server

MajorasMask

Ungodly
@MajorasMask this is classed as a 'hardcore' server. Pvp is the core of this server... Cant handle pvp dont play on a clearly labled hardcore server

Hardcore: Tough MOBs, expensive towns, expensive LWCs, hard to get resources, restricted abilities.

We have PvP, sure, but PvP is not what makes hardcore 100%. Heck, not even 50% i'd say. Hardcore is about difficulty, do we give new players gold and diamonds? No. Do we use /set home and enable free /spawn and /home? No. You have to work for the skills, either legit skills or not. Plus, people can always kill you while you are training. There is that danger too, alongside tough MOBs.

You know those players that get killed by the people that say there isn't enough ''Hardcore'' on the server? Not enough PvP? We think otherwise. We see a lot of PvP, and feel it a lot more often, too! ;)

bearcat99

Sir GrowlMeow
Legacy Supporter 2
I think what is affecting everything is how the towns are run. Townships affect how the economy works, pvp occurs, and how the community behaves. Hopefully, things will change with the township system soon to restore its glory from Kingdom/Sanctum times.

MajorasMask

Ungodly
I think what is affecting everything is how the towns are run. Townships affect how the economy works, pvp occurs, and how the community behaves. Hopefully, things will change with the township system soon to restore its glory from Kingdom/Sanctum times.

Some changes have already been made, such as higher costs of towns, ect ect. What worked well in Sanctum was that there was a town limit, making sure the towns that currently ran were actually active and did something! :p

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Incorrect. The economics of a server play a much larger role than tiny skirmishes between players. The center of Herocraft is the playerbase and community - mixed with various aspects of Minecraft gameplay. If anything, the center is YOU.

MajorasMask

Ungodly
Incorrect. The economics of a server play a much larger role than tiny skirmishes between players. The center of Herocraft is the playerbase and community - mixed with various aspects of Minecraft gameplay. If anything, the center is YOU.

Exactly. This server is not all about PvP. What made this server great for me was the community! :D So active! :D

Alator

Ancient Soul
Legacy Supporter 7
Remastered Tier 2 Supporter
There's a few people. Alator is from the very beginning.

I'm pretty sure this thread pops up a few months into every map, heh.

Every map is different, due to the playerbase and the state of the plugins at the time. I think people get a very specific set of game conditions in their head that they think makes things 'the best', and can't handle when the status quo changes. If you try to play one map exactly like a previous, not only will you be disappointed, but will get bored quick. Change things up, see what happens :)

xxMASSCHAOSx

Legacy Supporter 3
This is mainly to all people that played the previous map 'zeal'.

In my opinion I feel that almost everything about zeal was so much better than it is now. The fact people can now be a profession and a combat class has almost completly destroyed the economy around professions. There are only two things about this map which I prefer. These are the fact that your levels now save and there is a stamina bar. Apart from this I feel almost everything has gradually become worse, even the community (no offence meant to people who only started playing this map). As well as this i feel that the introduction of a 'hamlet' has destroyed the town system because it is so easy to get a hamlet, a township used to be an achivment gotten by a lot of people working together. A hamlet can now be easily achived by one person with few others just for the creation. The economy is also now dreadful, even the most simple items seemed to hold some form of value in zeal but now the only way to make money seems to be gold or selling items in stupidly large amounts. Also from the latest apps i have seen it seems to be a LOT easier to get onto this server meaning that the community is filling up with people that dont really care for the server. Proctors should look through apps not just for no bans and someone saying they like the server but people should make more lengthy apps to get onto the server showing they actually care about getting onto and seeing the server. Also due to less towns PvP seemed better and the towns that were made seemed to also look a lot nicer. I understand how much work has been put into this new map and enjoy seeing the new things that are being implemented but personally i feel zeal was so much better.

I was wondering what other players that played zeal thought, is this just me that feels this way or do more people feel the same?
Yea the world starts to look more and more like a basic server, people get in almost instantly, build a cobblestone box, then quit. Atleast in Zeal people couldn't get past the roads xD. One good thing though is that there aren't any town halls anymore... But to compensate most towns are impenetrable underground boxes.