• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion HeroFactions - Basic Heroes and Factions Server.

Dsawemd

Legacy Supporter 8
If this migration happens, in the "long term" it will not be the same immersive server that survives.

That's what I am calling attention to: if we focus (with advertising) on putting pvper's into a factions server, you're sacrificing the old to get the new.

1-1+1=1.

If a less grindy version of Herocraft existed, we would play that instead, and leave survival rpg to die

Think of it this way: Disney World.

Disney World started with a couple parks. Each time they add a new one they get a bunch of new people in to circulate between them. Sure the earlier parks lose some people at first, but then after seeing the new ones they discover (or rediscover) the ones that were there all along.

It's simple math. (1+1+1)(4/5)+2 > (1+1+1)

Irishman81

Senior Staff
Guide
Architect
Balance Team
Legacy Supporter 7

Disney World started with a couple parks. Each time they add a new one they get a bunch of new people in to circulate between them. Sure the earlier parks lose some people at first, but then after seeing the new ones they discover (or rediscover) the ones that were there all along.

Disney World wouldn't release another park while their main park isn't functioning at full capability and still has room for improvement. It's better to be great at one thing and focus on that than to me mediocre at several things.

Disney World wouldn't release another park while their main park isn't functioning at full capability and still has room for improvement. It's better to be great at one thing and focus on that than to me mediocre at several things.
And you're saying you couldn't improve upon that dumbo ride or the spinning teacups? And for Christ's sake, I can tell that's not the real Mickey!

Irishman81

Senior Staff
Guide
Architect
Balance Team
Legacy Supporter 7
@devotedworker In case you facepalmed because you didnt understand:
Let's say I go to an amusement park. The amusement park has a fantastic roller coaster, really unique, can't get enough of it. I say, "holy shit, that was a good roller coaster! Let me tell all my friends so they can all come check this out!"

Let's say I go to another amusement park. They have a roller coaster, a carousel, some arcade games, and bumper cars. If they are all so-so and not very memorable/unique, which amusement park do you think I would want to tell my friends about?

I'll say it again. Let's just focus on doing our thing as best we can, not getting sidetracked with other possibilities.

Trazil

Legacy Supporter 2

Sorry to burst your little bubble, but Disney was thriving from their movies already. They could afford anything they wanted. All I'm saying is Irish is right, being great at one thing is better than being meh at 10. Pushing and pushing more "content" isn't the way to go while there still could be massive improvements on the things already implemented.

MunchlaxHero

Max Legacy Supporter
Going back on what I was saying, you act as if trying out new ideas has helped the server at all, lets look at numbers, Bastion was more successful then Haven, Aegis, Valorium, and Citadel. Instead of wasting time messing with new ideas why don't we perfect the one server we have? Dev you remind me how young and naive you are, facepalming posts just because you disagree and know its true. You might have gotten camped to death in Haven does not mean we had to change the perfectly good system.

Sorry to burst your little bubble, but Disney was thriving from their movies already. They could afford anything they wanted. All I'm saying is Irish is right, being great at one thing is better than being meh at 10. Pushing and pushing more "content" isn't the way to go while there still could be massive improvements on the things already implemented.
You read a little more into my example than I intended. I was more talking about that specific... Just nevermind, it will take too long to explain my logic. Just think bubbles. Yes, bubbles.

Basically the consensus of people seems to be to work on the main server before releasing any additional content. I can't entirely agree or disagree with this. Yes, the main server still needs to settle into a specific role instead of it having such a dual-personality. Until that gets solved I think it is entirely fair to delay rolling out any content that would draw away from specifically the PvP player base. I don't really see issue with anything drawing from PvE, such as the adventure server, since it is mainly the PvP that seems to be aching.

I do not see the harm in adding a factions server as long as it is done right. I'll admit there's a bit of work to do on the homefront before that, but I believe it will do mostly good. If it draws from the main server's player base it will be from new players instead of the real players who have invested a lot of time in the server. Given that hypothesis, it will have only a minor effect on the main server's PvP. As long as it is a well put together server instead of just an after thought of the main server, it will act as a new entry way for players into the HC Network.

I really think that the worst case scenario is a dead factions server.

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
Jack of all trades master none, is better than a master of one.

I like to think of herocraft as the Bard of the group.

Jonsoon

Legacy Supporter 8

Not quite.... @Irishman81 is correct with his take on the analogy....

Disneyland started as one park. When it was successful, they literally recreated as Magic Kingdom in Disney World in Florida, because they knew it would succeed because they already had the following. Then they opened three other parks in Disney World, five if you count the water parks. This took the strain off Magic Kingdom for a while, until those parks became old. Now, the other three parks are the least visited, and are going over drastic renovations and expansions to bring people back to the parks.

Anyway.... Enough about Disney...

MunchlaxHero

Max Legacy Supporter
Not quite.... @Irishman81 is correct with his take on the analogy....

Disneyland started as one park. When it was successful, they literally recreated as Magic Kingdom in Disney World in Florida, because they knew it would succeed because they already had the following. Then they opened three other parks in Disney World, five if you count the water parks. This took the strain off Magic Kingdom for a while, until those parks became old. Now, the other three parks are the least visited, and are going over drastic renovations and expansions to bring people back to the parks.

Anyway.... Enough about Disney...
u work there gg

WitchOnaRampage

Legacy Supporter 9
For me, the survival server is the heart of Herocraft. I’d like to see Herocraft go ahead with more diversity of offering, and not at the expense of the survival server. I’m here for the sense of community, as I think many of us continue to be.

I loved Bastion too, and I miss players I knew then who aren’t around now. Many who have moved on won’t ever be back – interests change, lives change. The future of the survival server isn’t in the past. Change is about the only constant at Herocraft – Kainzo is continually innovating, and there’s no intent to stay static – or go backward. That’s the way things are.

I reckon strengthening the survival server population has 2 key aspects:
  1. Gameplay innovations – Kainzo’s initiatives, community suggestions that are taken up etc
  2. Community behaviour – the tone that is set in chat, the way new players are integrated into the community by being welcomed, answered, invited to towns and groups, shown the ropes – this is up to each one of us.
I’m addressing the second aspect to some extent with the current Rules Council rules review. I feel like I’m walking a fine line trying to balance Kainzo’s preference for hands-off community management with community desires – and I’m dearly hoping the outcome will be rules that encourage players to act in a way that retains new and returning players and builds community.

So how about the @Balance Team get onto this too? Look at the survival server as a whole – what do you think is needed?

Back to the thread topic, questions I’m interested in seeing answers to are:
  • Would a factions server with simplified Heroes attract players? Is it an interesting idea?
  • Could the factions server and the survival server be set up to have distinct separate characters? (The attraction of the survival server, as I see it, is in the immersive gameplay offered – complexity, township groups, connecting with and relying on other players. Would the factions server be very simple in contrast?)
  • Could the two servers be run to complement each other (along with the proposed Adventure server, minigames server etc) such that players will find interest on both? Or is the risk too high that neither would end up with a viable population?

I'm inclined to agree with the position that the survival server population/experience needs to be strengthened before adding more servers. Because that's where the heart is.

xexorian

Admin ZeeZo
Retired Staff
I think we need to expand our horizons. If people like hardcore survival they will play it. If people don't like it, they LEAVE THE NETWORK.

1+1=2.

xexorian

Admin ZeeZo
Retired Staff
  • Would a factions server with simplified Heroes attract players? Is it an interesting idea?
  • Could the factions server and the survival server be set up to have distinct separate characters? (The attraction of the survival server, as I see it, is in the immersive gameplay offered – complexity, township groups, connecting with and relying on other players. Would the factions server be very simple in contrast?)
  • Could the two servers be run to complement each other (along with the proposed Adventure server, minigames server etc) such that players will find interest on both? Or is the risk too high that neither would end up with a viable population?

1. I think we need to expand the network. We've suffered from being too niche.
2. They would HAVE to be since we would have new heroes changes. and, yes. It would be a different Server / different Database. The factions would be a simple thing in comparison to survival.
3. The purpose is to increase our population by having diversity. I fail to see how this would divide the current hardcore database unless it is something they want or prefer. In which case, either would grow, theoretically because we'd be advertising both in essence. People will go where they like and play what they like, period. There is no use in speculating some unknown division of only the current database when that is not what would be happening to begin with. We're sinking money into advertising and releasing a full network. Everything will grow. People here are scared of survival losing players somehow, when, what is being ignored are the full facts of this transition in the network from a single server / test / creative to a fuller and more diverse entity. People are scared of change, and scared of growth. It's irrational.

xexorian

Admin ZeeZo
Retired Staff
To be more precise, the only way survival would die is if for some reason PVP on a hypothetical dumbed down version of heroes was more interesting. I fail to see that logic through, however. If anything (the current population) might try it, but being divided from survival, it will not be as complex as our current system, and if it turns out that a simpler system is more popular from the hardcore survival community, we can make more changes to keep it in line with what the community desires. Personally, I aim to please and help provide content for the network. Besides, if herofactions turned out to be hugely popular, the whole network could grow faster. This benefits all of our projects, not just one.

see my forum signature.