• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Heroes... we need to talk.

Should players be able to have a COMBAT role and a CRAFTER role at the same time?

• Total voters

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
THIS HASNT BEEN CODED - AND IS NOT 100%

So here it is. Should players be able to have a COMBAT role and a CRAFTER role at the same time?

What we're going for;
  • Diverse gameplay and 'unique' feeling
  • No matter what you are doing, you will be advancing
  • Not take away from the community and ensure people are still "searching for that crafter/combat spec!"
  • Challenging gameplay and support for all spheres of gameplay.
We can do it many ways, but the best way to think about it is the EverQuest or WoW/Rift setups.

You'd pick a warrior and then you'd pick smith. The warrior's "levels" could count towards HP gain / tool use. The smith levels could count towards the repair abilities and so forth.

Ideally, we would SPLIT the CRAFTER PATH into the other 4 SPECS, and then have the 4 specs be an additional "role" Selections by the player. /hero choose warrior ... /hero choose chemist ...

/hero who Kainzo, Level 1 Warrior Level 1 Chemist

What are your thoughts?

jwplayer0

Legacy Supporter 6
Yes, just yes, this is what i have been trying to pursuade you to do since the thought of heroes poped up in your head. Crafting is too boring alone and should be something combined with a combat class. This can also help balance out the economy and alow for more use of cauldrons, pistons, and things of that sort. just yes

RedKhan

Soulsand
This sounds great.

Crafters would no longer have any excuse of a disadvantage in PvP and Fighters would be able to enjoy building projects and crafting more thoroughly.

(Plus I always wanted my own shop :p)

KrojinKin

Legacy Supporter 6
I say no, only because people will stop appreciating other folks who have went crafter -- depriciating the economy, when people can do everything on one character they will become self sufficient and not look outwards for services.

Yes in the short term people will enjoy it and yes it would be more convient, but will it help the game?

Alright, render crafters useless.

Or lifts or any other type of craftin specials.

It would make towns more self sufficent for sure but it wouldn't make crafters usless by any means. This leaves them the option to go combat if they so desire but if not you will still be a crafter! Theres more then one crafter spec so if someone is one you could be another

I am all for this idea. I hated that hardly anyone was a crafter

FuzLogix

Legacy Supporter 7
I say YES.

Sounds a lot less restricting and more like what Minecraft should be..

I'm a crafter and have always been a crafter, I wouldn't feel useless by this move - in fact it would be quite the opposite.

I'll be able to do more than just being the guy that repairs everyone's armour! -which is very boring..

On a side note: I hope this doesn't mean me having to re-level my Master Smith?

Would we still be able to keep the levels of our current class?

RedKhan

Soulsand
Yes in the short term people will enjoy it and yes it would be more convient, but will it help the game?

I think you may have answered your own question. ^

This would only lessen the hiring of specced crafters. Lessen, not totally remove. Infact you could argue that with more crafters available, getting exp rewards for their work that server projects and other profit based projects would thrive. I dream of a Las Vegas style strip, with shops, improvised gambling and arena's - All outwith towns and in a PvP area :eek:

You mean they could no longer sell leaves to make a profit because everyone with a craft level of 40 can do it?

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Crafters represent roughly 50% of the population

We're looking out for the base player. This would the combining of two ideas. The ability to do what you want without having to pay harsh fines to 'dual spec'. This would just be Combat + Crafter, not for combat+combat specs.

I'm posting this here because I want constructive feedback and the player base thoughts. Once you have stated your belief, please make room for others to do the same

Ideally, we would SPLIT the CRAFTER PATH into the other 4 SPECS, and then have the 4 specs be additional "role" selections by the player. /hero choose warrior ... /hero choose basketweaver...

/hero who Kainzo, Level 1 Warrior Level 1 Chemist

AfroDave

Legacy Supporter 3
Yes. Although I don't think we should be able to use the builder skills during pvp. I mean a paladin repairing his own amour during pvp would be incredibly overpowered.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Yes. Although I don't think we should be able to use the builder skills during pvp. I mean a paladin repairing his own amour during pvp would be incredibly overpowered.
To be fair, I'll say this. If you have the time to repair armor in combat... I don't think the other person was ever going to kill you. Granted, it could be something we can implement to have a "Combat" effect" where your 'non-combat' abilities cant be activated while you are in "combat"

xexorian

Admin ZeeZo
Retired Staff
I agree, the ability to be a crafter and have a combat path as your main advancement seem suitable. You could specialize in one of the four crafter paths more as a profession additional to your combat skills.

I kept getting owned in the early days of Heroes because I was a lvl 30-36 crafter and it took me months and months before I was able to finally call it quits and just roll a caster path because I kept getting owned.

zombies would 3 or 4 shot me with server lag and I couldn't defend myself or craft at night which limited the amount of playtime I had if I wanted to be a pansey about it. thing is, unless I had 500 torches to light the area up around me, I was gaurenteed a death to just one mob if it caught me while I was trying to work on structures. I would get angry and try to take my pickaxe to its face, to some avail, but mostly failure due to lag and zombies just hitting you from seemingly impossible distances. Nevermind those packs/waves of creepers that spawn, and spider jockeys.

Now that I'm caster spec, I have no problem taking on 4-5 mobs at once(back to back), at range, and out of harms way while I kite them around... save for maybe those nasty spiders.

Sleaker

Retired Staff
I say no, only because people will stop appreciating other folks who have went crafter -- depriciating the economy, when people can do everything on one character they will become self sufficient and not look outwards for services.

Or lifts or any other type of craftin specials.

Are you only saying this because Crafter is all bundled into one Class currently? This statement makes me feel like you didn't read the suggestions (though maybe you interpreted it differently?), Kainzo specifically mentioned splitting up crafter, possibly into 4 sub-classes. So just because you might be a 'smith' character doesn't mean you wont want to find say an engineer to build some of the other class specific buildings. The idea is to provide people with more options, but not give them as you said, complete access to everything.

MC is at it's heart a crafting game, the Adventuring aspects are currently lacking, and you can definetely tell this by the ways players level up currently, This is just one of those ideas that might be beneficial to help split up the progression, and allow players a bit more control of what they are doing with their characters which I always see as a bonus.

Aerokii

Legacy Supporter 8

That much I agree on. Mostly I meant as an after-battle kind of thing, since I'd imagine most hardcore pvp folk would just choose smith if they could repair weapons/armor during combat like that. I'm all for the idea of the "combat effect", as Kainzo put it.

xexorian

Admin ZeeZo
Retired Staff
@sleaker, yes this is correct.
@KrojinKin, that doesn't make any sense based on what was said. People will still need at least 4 friends to get everything done from a crafting perspective alone. Furthermore, I do not feel as if this change will hurt any crafters' current progress / achievements thus far.

I think what Kainzo is saying is either there will be
1) a crafter path, in which you still specialize into one of the four crafter specializations.
or
2) instead of a crafter path, you just pick a specialization from the start and focus on it.

This could lead to 2 possibilities I foresee so far,

in case 2) you could reward people much more often with bonuses, ie: Alchemist crafter spec
LEVEL }{ SKILLS/Usage
1 Wood Tools
3 Stone Pickaxe
5 Stone Tools
8 Iron Pickaxe
10 Chest Shops
11 Cauldron
13 Iron Tools
15 Mark / Recall
18 Shears
20 Diamond Pickaxe
25 Construct
28 Diamond Tools
30 Gold Pickaxe
35 Gills
38 Gold Tools
40 Consume
50 Sneak

You could even go as far as saying you gain an Additional;
+0.01-0.50 health/level as you work on your crafter spec.
upto an additional 12.75 maximum health. (the last level could give 0.75 hp @ 50 instead of 0.50 and make this 13 bonus health)

NOTE: the way this is laid out, leveling your crafting would have a direct impact on the quality of weapons your path can use.