• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Herocraft: Tekkit Server - New HeroTEK server in test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
I want to start putting this up. However, I think the Tekkit team is a little behind for 1.3.2 - is anyone in the "know" for this? I'd like to start ramping up a release for this - we'll need builders for the spawn.

NOTE: This will not have "Heroes" or any ungodly stupid tekkit stuff either (bombs/etc)

Hydroking77

Legacy Supporter 7
If I remember correctly the modders are actually putting a wrench in tekkit with unnessary code in the mods.

Skaduush

Dragon Warrior
Legacy Supporter 9
I run a private Tek Server for my brother and his kids. I believe 3.1.2 is the most current Tekkit server, everyone is busily converting mods over to MC1.3.2 so not much progress on that front. I hear rumors that Tekkit won't be putting out any more updates till MC1.4 due to some delay in the Mod APIs. BuildCraft 3 has a beta release of multiplayer, mostly stable and IC2 is good to go. I'd love to see them bring back Forestry and even Thaumcraft. Hell, even incorporate things like Twilight Forest, ExtraBiomesXL and MysticCraft would be great. I've been playing round with the ported builds from MCPC's site but have been unsuccessful in getting everything I want to play to run stable :(...

Skaduush

Dragon Warrior
Legacy Supporter 9
I want to start putting this up. However, I think the Tekkit team is a little behind for 1.3.2 - is anyone in the "know" for this? I'd like to start ramping up a release for this - we'll need builders for the spawn.

NOTE: This will not have "Heroes" or any ungodly stupid tekkit stuff either (bombs/etc)

I'd be down to help, I'm not sure how much in the know I qualify for, but I'm familiar with Tekkit/Server and modding on both ends.... We would probably only need to take out the actual Nukes from Tekkit, or turn off block damage or something in between.. I can actually just build a nuclear reactor and let it melt down and the explosion is almost as bad a a nuke. Let me know where I can help, Heroes is fun and all but I've come to really love all the mods and added content of Tekkit :)

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
I run a private Tek Server for my brother and his kids. I believe 3.1.2 is the most current Tekkit server, everyone is busily converting mods over to MC1.3.2 so not much progress on that front. I hear rumors that Tekkit won't be putting out any more updates till MC1.4 due to some delay in the Mod APIs. BuildCraft 3 has a beta release of multiplayer, mostly stable and IC2 is good to go. I'd love to see them bring back Forestry and even Thaumcraft. Hell, even incorporate things like Twilight Forest, ExtraBiomesXL and MysticCraft would be great. I've been playing round with the ported builds from MCPC's site but have been unsuccessful in getting everything I want to play to run stable :(...
Interesting - so what version does tekkit support? 1.2 ?

malmenca

Diamond
@zdylann has been running tekkit servers for quite some time. He ran VK tekkit, the #3 tekkit server for quite some time. (Shit hit the fan, things happened, not up for now.) He has also run several other smaller tekkit servers. He agreed to let me volunteer him for a position. Hes an all around great guy, hes funny and smart too :3

@Kainzo Tekkit currently supports 1.2.7, support for the newer versions is expected to come, but its still coming together.

Skaduush

Dragon Warrior
Legacy Supporter 9
Interesting - so what version does tekkit support? 1.2 ?
The 'out of the box' Tekkit runs a MCPC ported version of the 1.2.5 CraftBukkit. Let me pull up my server right quick and I will check... CraftBukkit version git-Bukkit-jenkins-CraftBukkit-173 (MC 1.2.5).... API version 1.2.5-R4.1-MCPC-SNAPSHOT...

That version gives you BuildCraft2, IndustrialCraft2, RailCraft, RedPower, Equivalent Exchange, ComputerCraft Balkons Weapon Mod, NetherOres and several other little add-ons and expanded content for the main mods.

I added in my server build: RuneCraft, MagicSpells, CraftBook, Multiverse, TreeAssist and WorldEdit.

The only other thing I would really want to add is Forestry, ThaumCraft3(ArcanaCraft) and maybe some of the special world generators like Twilight Forest, TropicalCraft or others...

Bah, so much fun content so little time :)

Skaduush

Dragon Warrior
Legacy Supporter 9
Additionally, a couple things you need to be aware of that effect the performance of the server environment and have been known to corrupt chunks are World Anchors and Logistic Pipes.

World Anchors - or whatever name a particular mod calls them - keep a portion of chunks loaded on the server to effectively keep machines running while no one is in the area. Oil pumps, engine rooms, etc... Having only 3 people play on my server doesn't really cause problems but I could see where having 20-30 people playing with a few anchors each could really lag the server, basically causing the whole thing to stay active all the time. There are limitations you can set on them, or simply disable all of them completely.

Logistic Pipes - These are expanded content for BuildCraft and the real bad one is the Teleport Pipe. BuildCraft is all about building machines to do work for you and moving blocks around. The Teleport Pipes teleport items, energy or fluids from one node to another. They tend to not always connect properly in SMP and once they get 'out of sync' they start to drop blocks in massive quantity. I logged in one day and had over 2000 entities in a chunk, crashed me out and I had to stop the server and sweep the server for excess entities.

Also Equivalent Exchange's Transmutation Tables don't always work and can gum up the works once they go south.. There is a patch out there for TT Helper but I've not tested it...

The final thing to be wary of is all the power generation, machines, cables and storage units. They all perform actions each tick for creating energy, moving energy, storing or using energy. I created, in creative, a massive water mill power facility that spanned from bedrock to the surface of the ocean, somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 water mills or more per tower and i had 4 towers... Needless to say I couldn't even turn to look in the direction of that chunk due to the lag...

Tekkit is OHHH so much fun, but from an admin standpoint there are things to be aware of that will effect the user base..

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Additionally, a couple things you need to be aware of that effect the performance of the server environment and have been known to corrupt chunks are World Anchors and Logistic Pipes.

World Anchors - or whatever name a particular mod calls them - keep a portion of chunks loaded on the server to effectively keep machines running while no one is in the area. Oil pumps, engine rooms, etc... Having only 3 people play on my server doesn't really cause problems but I could see where having 20-30 people playing with a few anchors each could really lag the server, basically causing the whole thing to stay active all the time. There are limitations you can set on them, or simply disable all of them completely.

Logistic Pipes - These are expanded content for BuildCraft and the real bad one is the Teleport Pipe. BuildCraft is all about building machines to do work for you and moving blocks around. The Teleport Pipes teleport items, energy or fluids from one node to another. They tend to not always connect properly in SMP and once they get 'out of sync' they start to drop blocks in massive quantity. I logged in one day and had over 2000 entities in a chunk, crashed me out and I had to stop the server and sweep the server for excess entities.

Also Equivalent Exchange's Transmutation Tables don't always work and can gum up the works once they go south.. There is a patch out there for TT Helper but I've not tested it...

The final thing to be wary of is all the power generation, machines, cables and storage units. They all perform actions each tick for creating energy, moving energy, storing or using energy. I created, in creative, a massive water mill power facility that spanned from bedrock to the surface of the ocean, somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 water mills or more per tower and i had 4 towers... Needless to say I couldn't even turn to look in the direction of that chunk due to the lag...

Tekkit is OHHH so much fun, but from an admin standpoint there are things to be aware of that will effect the user base..
Sounds like we should just have you set it up and configure it :p

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Heh, I'm here to help boss, just point me at a server and let me at it :)
Traditionally, with this kind of setup, I'd grant you test server access to get things setup / ready. Then when things are ready for production, we'll move to that.

Send me a pm when you're ready for the info, I'll create a folder for herotek there.

BPOtacon

Legacy Supporter 3

Well your missing a lot of stuff that will lag and corrupt a tekkit server

@Kainzo this is a project i could do if you want ( really like tekkit servers )

Skaduush

Dragon Warrior
Legacy Supporter 9
Well your missing a lot of stuff that will lag and corrupt a tekkit server

I think you misunderstand, my intent was never to omit any of the Tekkit features, only to adjust usability for a large scale server. I will be uploading a tek-test tonight.

EDIT: Upload on it's way...

BPOtacon

Legacy Supporter 3
I think you misunderstand, my intent was never to omit any of the Tekkit features, only to adjust usability for a large scale server. I will be uploading a tek-test tonight.

EDIT: Upload on it's way...
Well then ill warn you now, if your not going to omit features then people will not play fair and the server will most likely crash from what people can do

Status
Not open for further replies.