• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion [Guides] Warp to Tutorial Island Command

j2gay

Legacy Supporter 6
If ''troll'' means that you can see the flaws in a suggestion, and wish to talk about these flaws, then by all means, call us trolls.
There are flaws in every system. There is a way to exploit any system. In this case whatever potential there is for exploitation is far outweighed by the potential benefits. Once again you are repeating the same objections again and again after they have already been answered. It is called argument ad nauseum, and it is a fallacy. It ads nothing to the discussion. It you were to say here is a potential exploitation that could be fixed by doing thus, that would be constructive. Now please stop fpalming my post because of your own lack of understanding. I have received more such ratings from you in the last week, than in the previous 8 months. If it is not trolling it is certainly childish.

MajorasMask

Ungodly
There are flaws in every system. There is a way to exploit any system. In this case whatever potential there is for exploitation is far outweighed by the potential benefits. Once again you are repeating the same objections again and again after they have already been answered. It is called argument ad nauseum, and it is a fallacy. It ads nothing to the discussion. It you were to say here is a potential exploitation that could be fixed by doing thus, that would be constructive. Now please stop fpalming my post because of your own lack of understanding. I have received more such ratings from you in the last week, than in the previous 8 months. If it is not trolling it is certainly childish.

Dude, you've come into this conversation ranting on about something which was dealt with hours ago. Did you even read what Azen just said? We've already discussed the potential exploits and how to fix them:

- Using the ability as a warp to spawn: ''The portal to spawn from Tut Island (including the diving board) could possibly be region protected and have a flag with all Guides 'movement=false' (just like the edge of the world on Bastion, Warshard and Forgelight).''

- Getting into out-of-bounds areas using jump/blink: Set up a limited map size so there are no significant problems.

- Using the ability to get out of PvP: Make it so that it can't be used in PvP, or it has a warm up time like redstone.

Angyles

Legacy Supporter 7
If you are going to post a suggestion on something, be prepared for people to poke holes in the idea, because frankly whether you want to believe it or not, there are good AND bad points with this.

Good:
  • If used properly can help out newbies.
Bad:
  • Abused for a quick teleport to spawn: Have a long cool down like /skill warp?
  • Could be used to get out of pvp: So make it have a warm up and cancels use in PVP
The next question would be how many people would actually use this to help a newbie out? Also there is a point to Tut Island, so people can learn about the server, not be hand held through it.

j2gay

Legacy Supporter 6
Dude, you've come into this conversation ranting on about something which was dealt with hours ago. Did you even read what Azen just said? We've already discussed the potential exploits and how to fix them:

- Using the ability as a warp to spawn: ''The portal to spawn from Tut Island (including the diving board) could possibly be region protected and have a flag with all Guides 'movement=false' (just like the edge of the world on Bastion, Warshard and Forgelight).''

- Getting into out-of-bounds areas using jump/blink: Set up a limited map size so there are no significant problems.

- Using the ability to get out of PvP: Make it so that it can't be used in PvP, or it has a warm up time like redstone.
Aside from the top portion this is how you should do it. Or how Angy did. I only wonder why Azen had to say it twice.

MajorasMask

Ungodly
Aside from the top portion this is how you should do it. Or how Angy did. I only wonder why Azen had to say it twice.

You can't just come up with a conclusion/list like that right at the start of a discussion. You have to brainstorm ideas and talk with others in order to achieve solve any issues which you may face. That's exactly what we did. -.- You start by pointing out the problems, then you work towards the solutions.

j2gay

Legacy Supporter 6
Well you can with enough forethought, but that is another discussion entirely, so I will speak no more of it here. If you are indeed try in to " discuss and brainstorm" then it is a redevelopment for you. As this has been not the case most recently. Perhaps my work is done.

Haxnn

Legacy Supporter 3
I think this would be a good idea. Maybe if there could be a way so the portal takes you back to where you last were (like the teleport in skirmishs) so it can't be used as a quick way to spawn?

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
Someone had to mention it, and I knew it was coming...

I doubt anyone will abuse that power, especially when we have a Staff Position.
If they do they will find them selves not so anymore most likely.

Hydroking77

Legacy Supporter 7
I brought this up while we were building it, but it was not a priority. I would definitely like to see this.

Rumblestikk

Legacy Supporter 6
If you are going to post a suggestion on something, be prepared for people to poke holes in the idea, because frankly whether you want to believe it or not, there are good AND bad points with this.

Good:
  • If used properly can help out newbies.
Bad:

• Abused for a quick teleport to spawn: Have a long cool down like /skill warp?
  • Could be used to get out of pvp: So make it have a warm up and cancels use in PVP
The next question would be how many people would actually use this to help a newbie out? Also there is a point to Tut Island, so people can learn about the server, not be hand held through it.

How many people get stuck at "What do I do after Monk Drea?" or "I'm at a gate and it wont open?"

>_>

AzenYumCha

Legacy Supporter 6

Guides Would you use this feature or not? Why? Why not?

We can simply not let newbies be 'hand held' through the Tut Island. The sole purpose is to give them some handy tips and some advice about the server and assuring that they fully comply to it - all direct to the newbies. I personally believe the words of people are more convincing than signs (just like an object with a sign saying 'do not touch' and a kid goes and touches the object but is warned by security)

Angyles

Legacy Supporter 7
Guides Would you use this feature or not? Why? Why not?

We can simply not let newbies be 'hand held' through the Tut Island. The sole purpose is to give them some handy tips and some advice about the server and assuring that they fully comply to it - all direct to the newbies. I personally believe the words of people are more convincing than signs (just like an object with a sign saying 'do not touch' and a kid goes and touches the object but is warned by security)

I am sorry but asking it moot. Of course people will say "Yes I will use it!" but never do.

Psychokhaos

Legacy Supporter 3
I would use it sometimes, yeah. It's hard to help with some of the newblings' questions when you can't remember the answers. Use precautions listed by others, and it should work fairly well.

AzenYumCha

Legacy Supporter 6
Of course people will say "Yes I will use it!" but never do.
How can you guarantee they will 'never' use it? I know, and will use that feature. What's making me not use it if implemented?

The suggestion is just another feature to promote access to assist newbies. Tour Chat is one feature to assist players, why not add another feature to assist newbies? Having user-friendly Guides wondering around the Tut Island is beneficial and I'm pretty sure that it won't hinder any player whatsoever.

Dsawemd

Legacy Supporter 8
Is there anything wrong with this suggestion, Dsawemd? I won't tolerate sarcasm as a response. Even if its not, constructive criticism is probably the best option out of all options.

Nothing was sarcastic, read it again using a different view, no sarcasm was meant.
Yes, one thing is wrong. We have a lot of guides, and granting them all a warp would need heavy regulation coding for that warp, and could be tempting to use in questionable situations (ie free port to spawn, pvp escape).

The other day I saw a staff member who died in no-pvp at spawn and dropped a deathchest that neither he nor his attacker could access or remove. So to be clear, I am not saying staff will abuse power, but that even accidents happen and that I see potential for non-accidental "advantages" because of the larger number of staff this would be granted to and the myriad of possible "Grey area" abuse potentials.

Also, I thought my non-sarcastic response solved one of the rather blatant problems: staff and veterans admitting in Tour that they don't quite remember the tutorial, and can't help noobs.

Scycor

Legacy Supporter 3
Even though I am not a guide, I say yes to this. If you take everyone's suggestions like TheMormon said it should work out fine. I see far too many newbies saying "they are stuck and can't get out" and things along that line, so this would be a neat feature that guides could use.

Dazureus

Legacy Supporter 4
I would use it sometimes, yeah. It's hard to help with some of the newblings' questions when you can't remember the answers. Use precautions listed by others, and it should work fairly well.
Yup. And even if Guides didn't always visit the island with the express purpose of helping newbies, just knowing the place would would make helping easier. When(ever) I return, that would certainly be something I would make use of.

AzenYumCha

Legacy Supporter 6
Nothing was sarcastic, read it again using a different view, no sarcasm was meant.
Yes, one thing is wrong. We have a lot of guides, and granting them all a warp would need heavy regulation coding for that warp, and could be tempting to use in questionable situations (ie free port to spawn, pvp escape).

The other day I saw a staff member who died in no-pvp at spawn and dropped a deathchest that neither he nor his attacker could access or remove. So to be clear, I am not saying staff will abuse power, but that even accidents happen and that I see potential for non-accidental "advantages" because of the larger number of staff this would be granted to and the myriad of possible "Grey area" abuse potentials.

Also, I thought my non-sarcastic response solved one of the rather blatant problems: staff and veterans admitting in Tour that they don't quite remember the tutorial, and can't help noobs.

I could understand how the coding for this could be extreme. However, Bankers had their own Warp to DHX in previous maps. If this command was disabled, it could simply be renamed and enabled again.
By the way, I've already mentioned some prevention a about the Warp to Spawn and PvP escape issue. It's been mention and also quoted.

Luckily I have in-real-life friends and I've been through the Tut Island 3 times over. It's not a problem to me.