• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion EXP Wipe upon Ban

Dielan9999

Legacy Supporter 5
Yeah that's right, just what the title says.

I'm not kidding when I say banning people isn't lesson enough. People break rules on this server on purpose and without fear all too often. People have come to expect a 1-3 day ban, a week ban, a month ban, or a 3 month ban for the actions they commit and I think they are probably prepared to wait it out if they happen to get caught. These small slaps on the wrist just don't cut it. I've seen many people get banned, appeal, and get banned again around here. I don't want to name anyone in particular, but it does happen.

I find it disrespectful to the server to find people continuously breaking the rules(especially veterans), only to get banned and come back to do it all over again. I think the looming danger of losing all of your levels, for both path and profession, is fear enough to convince people to question the rules more before they do something stupid, and deter people form trying to get away with rule-breaking. When people return from their ban they would have to work hard to get all those levels again, and I think after all the hardship of doing so they will have learned their lesson. Instead of waiting a few days or weeks in the timeout corner playing some other game only to come back like nothing happened.

Thoughts?

I simply want to deter people from rule-breaking with a punishment worse than removal. Also wiping their karma would fit in as well, the road to redemption should be as hard as starting over IMHO. I don't want to consider wiping their money instead either because some people hold large sums of money for their community, and wiping exp and karma is a personal punishment that doesn't affect the others that may be innocent.

Scycor

Legacy Supporter 3
Hmm, this is interesting... but make sure they are proven guilty before level wipe. I know that a few people that I was with were banned for "Exploiting" but luckily I had a video in which shown that they were in fact not exploiting and it got them unbanned.

AzenYumCha

Legacy Supporter 6
As usual, all punishments will vary upon the perpetrating act and the severity of the issue. An exp wipe, assuming a complete wipe, is far too severe for bans lasting for 3 days and under. For abuse of exploits and/or disrespect to staff, it should be a definite ban due to the fact a player was able to find a loop hole and abuse it for their own benefit. Heroes is definitely a primary source of interest in Herocraft, putting the hero exp in risk by doing something wrong, works perfectly.

Dielan9999

Legacy Supporter 5
Hmm, this is interesting... but make sure they are proven guilty before level wipe. I know that a few people that I was with were banned for "Exploiting" but luckily I had a video in which shown that they were in fact not exploiting and it got them unbanned.

Well, I once saw exp wipe as a punishment used on someone who built an illegal spawner grinder. Those levels were restored when the admins could not prove said player guilty, as he was still building the area and did not use it. Backups were made of the player's data and it was easily restored. I assume if the staff actually use my suggestion, they would make backups like that to be safe.

macura

Diamond
You are acting as though anyone who gets bannned has already thought through everything and have a pre-meditated plan of action. Not all people who get banned know that they are breaking a rule that is bannable. Even then if someone gets pissed and decides to mouth of resulting in a ban i personally don't think that they should lose their levels. For most people time is not unlimited so leveling is a large consumption of time. To be honest if i got my levels wiped i would not play hc anymore because i don't have the time anymore to level. Losing all levels after a ban would ensure that players would not return and there have been maybe players that have cleaned up their act and become a vital part of the community.

Y

ytiggidmas

I think dielan is upset because a certain someone has returned

Dielan9999

Legacy Supporter 5
I think dielan is upset because a certain someone has returned

This is not true. I've been here for many maps Sam and alot of motivation for this comes from experience with bad eggs from maps before your time (Especially Zeal). It wasn't until this map that Heroes has really been a key part in everyone's experience. It wouldn't make sense to make this suggestion last map or the map before. Everything was all beta-phase and buggy. I've been thinking about this for quite some time.

You are acting as though anyone who gets bannned has already thought through everything and have a pre-meditated plan of action. Not all people who get banned know that they are breaking a rule that is bannable. Even then if someone gets pissed and decides to mouth of resulting in a ban i personally don't think that they should lose their levels. For most people time is not unlimited so leveling is a large consumption of time. To be honest if i got my levels wiped i would not play hc anymore because i don't have the time anymore to level. Losing all levels after a ban would ensure that players would not return and there have been maybe players that have cleaned up their act and become a vital part of the community.

As usual, all punishments will vary upon the perpetrating act and the severity of the issue. An exp wipe, assuming a complete wipe, is far too severe for bans lasting for 3 days and under. For abuse of exploits and/or disrespect to staff, it should be a definite ban due to the fact a player was able to find a loop hole and abuse it for their own benefit. Heroes is definitely a primary source of interest in Herocraft, putting the hero exp in risk by doing something wrong, works perfectly.

I think you two have pretty good perspectives on the matter. So maybe not all bans should result in EXP wipes. I just think that most should. It's one thing for a new player to get banned for something: They should have read the rules more thoroughly and asked the staff questions before jumping head in. An Exp wipe wouldn't even really affect them anyway if they were so new. Veteran players on the other hand should know better than to break the rules like some do. Especially repeat offenders. If they do something that results in removal form the server, why not wipe their levels while we are at it?

Dsawemd

Legacy Supporter 8
This would be an effective way of making the banned players spend more time thinking on their actions.

HOWEVER: The added disincentive of having to level again is not as great for veterans who know how to level compared to new players.

I think that this will discourage newer players who made mistakes from rejoining the server, and the "bad eggs" as you call them will be inconvenienced depending on how many specs they had.

Why is that? It would only affect people who get banned. I'm just not convinced that the timeout corner is punishment enough to keep people from repeat-offending these days.
What player would come back to a server where they have no levels on and were temp banned? It is hard enough as it is to level. I would rather say we have people pay a fee for breaking the rules (a fine of money).

MultiHeartGold

Legacy Supporter 2
What player would come back to a server where they have no levels on and were temp banned? It is hard enough as it is to level. I would rather say we have people pay a fee for breaking the rules (a fine of money).
If a player knew they wouldnt come back to the server after level loss, maybe they would actually read the rules and stay away from being banned?

Psychokhaos

Legacy Supporter 3
What if it was only on big bans. The ones that justify longer than 3 days? Then what?
Adding to this, for repeat offenders only. This also satisfies the problem that may be present with newbies being banned for missing something in the rules, or a misunderstanding they may have.

So yes, I see potential for this. But include the parameters for ban length and frequency/offenses.

Arturec

Soulsand
I have been banned twice. I am still waiting on my second ban, and I am shuddering in my corner while Danda checks the logs for details on my ban. I was banned for abusing a mob spawner, and it's funny, maybe instead of asking for harder bans, you should educate your staff on what the rules are... I was told by more than 1 staff member that there are such things as "Legal" spawners in this server, needless to say, there aren't, or else I wouldn't be banned.

Yes, this may sound like a QQ story, but it's still true. If all the staff knows the rules, maybe some people wouldn't be banned.

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
We do also wipe coins from people's wallets from time to time as a punishment.