• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

E3 looked like a trainwreck this year.

Console gaming...is it dead?

• Psh, it's alive and better than ever!

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • The casual games are definately a problem, but it will pass and consoles will be just fine

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • It is on it's way to demise

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • The PC gaming master race rises again, consoles+their casual garbage are dead to me

Votes: 14 41.2%

• Total voters

Dielan9999

Legacy Supporter 5
Microsoft braggin about new Facebook games, Ubisoft thinks "we are all a little bit gay", Sony is showing off third party games like Ass Creed 3 with exclusive day one DLC (day one DLC is bad)yet the game itself is also available on X360, and I don't even wanna talk about Nintendo.

See the poll.

Dazureus

Legacy Supporter 4
I certainly didn't get that hype feeling I've had before. It wasn't a train wreck in my opinion but it was definitely meh. I only paid close attention to Nintendo's stuff. The Wii U looks like it has the potential to mature into a really good console, but only time will tell.
I'll be sure to report back after the other Nintendo event dedicated to showing off 3DS software.

Razael6

Legacy Supporter 3
Well I think nothing is wrong with e3 and consoles, and dont complain about day 1 dlc like people did with ME3 even though ME2 did and no one complained then. I mean I have watched tons of e3 trailers and the only pc games I have played are L3Ds, Portal 2, MC, Terraria, and a lot of other games when I was younger such as CIVSs and AoEs, lotro games.

Dysprous

Legacy Supporter 6
...dont complain about day 1 dlc like people did with ME3 even though ME2 did and no one complained then.

Day 1 dlc means that the company took people off game development/bug fixes/etc. instead of focusing on making a great game. If said game is released without bugs/glitches/performance issues then that would be fine but that's not the case.

whitemagehealu

Legacy Supporter 7
I only watched the Nintendo stuff yesterday. The Wii U has potential but I don't know how the controller will feel in le hands and how developers will take advantage of the screen. I foresee a lot of games just putting the inventory on the screen.

Dielan9999

Legacy Supporter 5
If Assassin's Creed 3 is the last AC game they make I will probably stop playing on consoles after I 100% it :p

They didn't even talk about The Last Guardian! I think casual games are taking over the consoles. It doesn't help that parents love to buy their kids consoles because PC upgrades are expensive and your average little kid isn't gonna know how to put new computer parts in without techno-adept friends or parents(or they might just own Macs). That's why so many people take the console versions of the Call of Duty games so seriously when in reality they are just casual games. It's not even realistic as it is advertised.

The way I see it there are only so many types of games I like playing on consoles: 3rd person games, action/adventure, fighting, and racing. Mostly because these games are awkward on PC. The last game I bought was Armored Core 5 and it was amazing, yet people would rather play a casual game like Call of Duty, so only a small community of Hardcore Armored Core players remain online on that game. Sure my blame might be misplaced, but I'm not excited for Internet Explorer on Xbox, Facebook games, or the over-glorification of casual console games as competitive games. I used to think PC gaming was dead and never coming back, back when I spent all day on my Xbox and PS2. Now I think it's quite the opposite. They don't make console games like they used to.

/end of rant.

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
even though ME2 did and no one complained then..
Were you smoking crack or something when it came out?
Loads of people bitched about it when it came out. But it wasn't really DLC it was a bonus you got with the collectors edition that you could pay a little extra to get as well if you bought a normal copy of the game.

Dielan9999

Legacy Supporter 5
Were you smoking crack or something when it came out?
Loads of people bitched about it when it came out. But it wasn't really DLC it was a bonus you got with the collectors edition that you could pay a little extra to get as well if you bought a normal copy of the game.

It's only gotten worse from there :p

I wish DLC was like it used to be, where it was an expansion pack! Like the Shivering Isles for Oblivion.

Hurrm, any of you interessted in picking up Halo 4? :p

I kinda gave up on Halo :p I used to be a huge fan, but I was really dissapointed with Halo 3, and the games that came out in betweeen 3 and 4 didn't really live up to the hype for me. I'd rather the Halo team make a new sci-fi game that is more original.

kevinlive

Legacy Supporter 2
It's only gotten worse from there :p

I wish DLC was like it used to be, where it was an expansion pack! Like the Shivering Isles for Oblivion.

I kinda gave up on Halo :p I used to be a huge fan, but I was really dissapointed with Halo 3, and the games that came out in betweeen 3 and 4 didn't really live up to the hype for me. I'd rather the Halo team make a new sci-fi game that is more original.
Halo 1, 2 and 3 were all great games. Halo ODST and Reach was just.. Not Halo anymore, although I belive Bungie has seen that. So I have high hopes for Halo 4 :)

Dielan9999

Legacy Supporter 5
Halo 1, 2 and 3 were all great games. Halo ODST and Reach was just.. Not Halo anymore, although I belive Bungie has seen that. So I have high hopes for Halo 4 :)

It's not Bungie anymore though, it's a new studio.

So I would expect it to be as different as the two Star Wars trilogies.

Dazureus

Legacy Supporter 4
Watching the Big N's software showcase at the moment, and although I'm not passing judgement on the content shown quite yet, the poor bald man on stage breaks up the flow of the event as much as the lag I'm getting.

Joka10

Soulsand
I only really paid attention to Nintendo, and while it would have been cool if there were some details on new Nintendo games other than Mario Bros., I wasn't disappointed. It's basically official that the Wii U will be out before January (because release dates for the games for it are before the end of the year), and I am looking forward to it... Everything could have been better, yes, but I was fairly satisfied.

Also, listening to the pre/post-conference Nintendo presentations was kinda difficult. Satoru Iwata is not a very entertaining man to listen to (though the wierd Miiverse zombie thing was... interesting).

Dazureus

Legacy Supporter 4
Also, listening to the pre/post-conference Nintendo presentations was kinda difficult. Satoru Iwata is not a very entertaining man to listen to (though the wierd Miiverse zombie thing was... interesting).
I really liked that actually. It was funny, in a weird unfunny sort of way. Non-Specific Action Figure should replace Mario as the face of Nintendo.

Welp, the showcase was ultimately sort of bland. Nothing unexpected, although I am excited for a number of the actual games that were featured.

Zaspar

Legacy Supporter 2
I think console gaming is on the way down... it's obvious that comps have awesome hardware, but a really good comp can get really expensive. Also, parents don't want to buy a new, say 700-buck computer for their kids just for gaming. They'll want a 200-300-buck 360 or something. Generation Y can afford these computers (which WILL get cheaper!), but alas Generation Y seems to be decreasing in number... slowly. That, and consoles are great for basement gaming, which seems like what a lot of teens tend to do these days.

I think my rant is done :rolleyes:

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
I think console gaming is on the way down... it's obvious that comps have awesome hardware, but a really good comp can get really expensive. Also, parents don't want to buy a new, say 700-buck computer for their kids just for gaming. They'll want a 200-300-buck 360 or something. Generation Y can afford these computers (which WILL get cheaper!), but alas Generation Y seems to be decreasing in number... slowly. That, and consoles are great for basement gaming, which seems like what a lot of teens tend to do these days.
The main issue with consoles is that they're old the next gen consoles are being delayed more and more. Because of this games technology is also being held back due to most publishers wanting their game to be sold cross platform to increase sales which means it needs to run on 6-7 year old technology. Since games aren't really becoming more difficult to run it is almost cheaper to buy a PC that will run the "top end" games at a higher framerate than the consoles.

That is the reason that console is on the way down at the moment and why PC is suddenly getting more attention.

_KittyGotWet_

Banned
I am and always will be a console gamer (PS3), the only game I play on PC is minecraft. PC is a wonderful place for indie devs to start and get their name heard, but I still like the big ass mainstream games that play so well on a controller. I don't care about a new console with new capabilities, I just wanna play good games, which there are plenty of being released all the time, no need to upgrade. Nintendo keep making their upgrades, which I don't bother to keep up with anymore, and I feel them as unnecesary.
If anything is on their way down to hell, it's portable gaming devices. 3DS had multiple new minor features, which really could've been in previous DS version, but 3D was its only big one. Many people with a 3DS don't even use the 3D, they only play the 3DS to play the new games which only release on it. PS Vita was a step up on the PSP, but again, it has many features which should've been there from the start. It has fun new games, but they could also have run on the PSP just fine.
I also wish my parents and other relatives would stop playing Angry Birds or Draw Something on their iPhones and calling themselves "Gamers". Phones are a stupid way to game, but somehow increasing in popularity. :p