• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

E3 looked like a trainwreck this year.

Console gaming...is it dead?

• Psh, it's alive and better than ever!

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • The casual games are definately a problem, but it will pass and consoles will be just fine

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • It is on it's way to demise

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • The PC gaming master race rises again, consoles+their casual garbage are dead to me

Votes: 14 41.2%

• Total voters

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
I don't care about a new console with new capabilities, I just wanna play good games, which there are plenty of being released all the time, no need to upgrade.
So you don't care that your mainstream games run on average around 20-30fps?

Dazureus

Legacy Supporter 4
If anything is on their way down to hell, it's portable gaming devices. 3DS had multiple new minor features, which really could've been in previous DS version, but 3D was its only big one.
Besides the totally new guts, you mean. How about you compare Mario Kart DS with MK7?

Many people with a 3DS don't even use the 3D, they only play the 3DS to play the new games which only release on it.
I would suspect that many more do use the 3D, and I for one actually benefit from it's use. Kid Icarus is much easier (but still hard) if you don't have to think about how far off the bad guys are. And really, if you're not buying a system for it's games... why are you buying it?

PS Vita was a step up on the PSP, but again, it has many features which should've been there from the start. It has fun new games, but they could also have run on the PSP just fine.
Sony didn't know touch screens were going to be such a good thing 8 years ago... There's no reason that "should have been there from the start". And the back panel is a totally new thing. I guess by many features you're talking mostly about the second analog?

Increasing the resolution, revamping the graphics, and adding new inputs aren't things you can just do for handhelds. That falls to the master race. Making major changes with every revision would likely screw everyone over due to cost and platform fragmentation.

I also wish my parents and other relatives would stop playing Angry Birds or Draw Something on their iPhones and calling themselves "Gamers". Phones are a stupid way to game, but somehow increasing in popularity. :p
Of course, this one thousand times over, haha. Phones are getting better with their games though. Slowly.
Wouldn't it be interesting if Square Enix's mobile games ended the Game Boy brand? I hope that doesn't happen, but it's not totally impossible.

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
But I have been enjoying the planetside 2 stream at E3 :D

Can't wait for it :p

Dielan9999

Legacy Supporter 5

Yeah. I'm actually a huge fan of portable games. Most people don't think that right away when I tell them I don't play pokemon :p but I really am.

I'm not yet sold on the 3DS (because of MML3 was my only incentive) but I do plan on getting a Vita. I've had a PSP since the day it launched and put more hours into its games than I have for any console or PC game (I think each Dissidia game file has 300+ hours each on my memory stick). In fact I have one in my pocket right now :p

I have high hopes that Sony and Nintendo will continue to make quality portable games that you can't get on cell phones, considering most smartphones require plans that don't appeal to me just like how I don't play MMOs with monthly fees. I'm also not interested in pre-paid smartphones. I'm not alone but that's not the popular vote. Many people have a smartphone for everything else, and then games are a luxury. I'd rather have two seperate devices, so my phone doesn't die and I can play games and browse the wifi all day long on a portable game console like 3DS or Vita.

tl;dr
  • I'd rather have a portable console than a phone
  • All phones are different, it's like PC gaming where you CANNOT upgrade your computer, so replacement is your only upgrade and too expensive