• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Druid Skill Concepts

zZHeroInSoup

Obsidian
Sad day. However, I disagree with a duration on shapeshifts. I think they should have fairly long cooldowns though (not ten minutes, but maybe 2-4 minutes), so you cannot just spam into forms between regular casts.

I like this idea, but it should be a reduced effect. If ocelot were to give druids 20% speed, party members should only get 10%.

Druids are not group support characters. They have three heals (sans bandage) and all of them are single target - the only other healer without a multi-target heal is bloodmage, who is actually more of a group support character due to soul bond, in my opinion.

I think how you approach this depends on your definition of a support & utility ability. Blink, for instance, is a utility ability, and does not benefit the group. Like blink, the various shapeshifting forms would not benefit your entire party, but they would help you to benefit your entire party. The various animal forms give the druid the versatility and utility in order to fulfil various roles. The wolf aspect would mainly be used when levelling for some additional damage, or in situations where your heals are not contributing. The swiftness aspect on the other hand would help you chase down fleeing opponents or give you additional battlefield movement, not on the scale of blink, but possibly enough to help you position yourself and keep up with moving battles. Finally, Disciples are probably the ONLY healers that could murder you in PvP. Disciple is a very combat-oriented healer class (although it currently is better than druids because chakra is very strong), and to talk about it when talking about all healers is grossly disproportionate.

This affect could be added to poison, however I don't think an aggressive group spell is a good idea due to the support/utility nature of the hero.

Silverfish are insects, silly.
NO THERE FISH

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Following my post about Aspects/Shape shifting found in Mellowbeatz's thread, and my time spent playing a druid (which I have not maxed out yet, though another player who mastered druid has talked about their lack of usefulness), I have given some thought to druids and ways to make them a more interesting class. I've composed a rough list of various ideas I've had that I'd like to post, and update/modify as I play more of druid and get the opinion of others. The first thing I'd like to mention is that I've named shapeshifts "Aspects" in this, like in my original post. I think it would be nice if we could get this feature quickly as it is something associated at the core with druids in various fantasy and RPG settings. Like I also said in the other thread, I think that having stat-based aspects that represent what shapeshifting will do at a purely statistical level would also be a cool thing to get until we can properly shapeshift, rather than having nothing until it's fully possible. That aside, here is my current opinion on some skills that could benefit druid and make it a more interesting class for players.

Dru 1: Smite -> Poison, 6 damage with a 6 dot over 6 seconds.​
Dru 11: Aspect of the Critter: Shapeshifts you into a chicken, giving you slowfalling without fall damage. Ends when you attack or use a spell.​
Dru 15: Sprout: Creates a line of trees at target location that lasts for 6 seconds. Reagent: 6 saplings
Dru 16: Birth: If near a tree, produces 2 saplings without damaging the tree.​
Dru 25: Aspect of Ferocity: Shapeshifts you into a wolf, giving you 6 damage with your fists and removing damage with all other items. Ends when you use a spell.​
Dru 32: Gills -> Aspect of the Sea: Shapeshifts you into a squid, giving you indefinite breathing underwater and a minor speed boost in water. Ends when you attack or use a spell.​
Dru 35: Nature's Presence: Teleports you to a plant (sapling, flower, tall grass) within 20 blocks of target party member. Like beguiler's teleport but requires them to be near the suitable objects. Possibly add a reagent.
Dru 42: Aspect of the Oak: Shapeshifts you into an oak tree, rooting you but adding to your mana regeneration. Only works when standing on grass. Ends when you attack or use a spell.​
Dru 45: Aspect of Swiftness: Shapeshifts you into an ocelot, granting swiftness and making you undetectable to creepers. Ends when you attack or use a spell.​

The level acquisition points I've put in here are mostly just to space it out and make it read in order. In truth, if any of these abilities were to be implemented, they could be slotted in at likely any level.
I'd love to see some of these, but the down and dirty is... it probably wont happen for a bit...

zZHeroInSoup

Obsidian
b
Yeah! Fish that crawl on land, drown in water, and bite people in the shins!

Disregard this excerpt from the minecraft wiki.

"In real life, silverfish are small, wingless insects that are often found in dark areas in buildings. They are infamous for damaging paper-based products."
yea i kno ive seen silverfish swim be4

Druids need this. http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/callLightning.htm

you kno i know wut silverfish r.
they r fish that r silver color that swim

Glent

Glowing Redstone
I'd love to see some of these, but the down and dirty is... it probably wont happen for a bit...

I'm at least glad if some of these concepts are being considered for coding or addition, even if it does take time.

Two shapeshifters of Herocraft:

Beguiler & Druid

This seems to make sense to me, although I would imagine beguilers shapeshift others rather than themselves.

Aetosion

Obsidian
@Kainzo I think a Beguiler turning into like, a chicken, would fit perfectly. The Beguiler would be sneaky as hell, with reduced HP or something. Shoots out bird flu or shit when he/she unmorphs. The chicken is the smallest, and probably most inconspicuous animal. The irony of everyone being scared of chickens would match the sense of humor in making Beguiler (Piggify etc) perfectly. Everyone would be extremely paranoid about tiny winged birds. I think a group aspect benefit would fit Druids more, they'd already be straying from healer, at least they should maintain a support role.

Beguiler is so gonna be a trolling class, I could totally see him with an ability that makes more of him and what not, but as much as I want to comment on it, this is a Druid thread. Staying on topic, Druid has healing abilities, specs from a healer, and sounds like a nature prophet. I'd personally like to see Druid used like how bloodmage is being used; A martyr. I'm not saying, "Oh hey let's sacrifice the druid and win!" No. I said this before, druid is a utility class, think of him/her to be your sword or your axe, ok? Not something you have to rely on, but something that could greatly increase your outcome of winning.

Let me just take Glents skills and tell you how they could be used. That will appease you.

Aspect of the Critter: Do I really need to explain this? It makes escaping ten times easier, not only that but what if the team had a chicken farm? Nuff' said.
Sprout: A renewable source of wood, imagine how great this would be for builders.
Birth: Great synergy with sprout and wonderful farming for rejuvenate and sprout. OMG THE SYNERGY.
Aspect of Ferocity: To be honest I don't like seeing a utility getting an attack method, but you do need some sort of defense and it makes it not to spammable or overpowered either. Also take note that Druid isn't a health heavy class.. nor defensive either.
Gills: Might as well say goodbye to a druid if he hits the water, if he gets the speed boost he's gone! Not only that but disguising yourself among other squid, let's be honest is kind of genius.
Nature's Presence: I'm not sure how this could be coded, it would seem to be much more easy to just give them blink. So it's not that much of a "needed" move.
Aspect of the Oak: Instead of turning you into a tree, (Because you just can't code that and has already been claimed impossible.) Why not push you down 2 blocks and plant a tree above you?
Aspect of Swiftness: Chasing down the enemy, using root, and then letting your teammates get the upperhand? UTILITY!

There are so much more skills that could be used to make this class more attractive, and these just take the cake. No, the whole bakery. Anyways, great suggestions Glent you definitely took initiative off of this and didn't ignorantly scream ideas. I love it.

Glent

Glowing Redstone
Beguiler is so gonna be a trolling class, I could totally see him with an ability that makes more of him and what not, but as much as I want to comment on it, this is a Druid thread. Staying on topic, Druid has healing abilities, specs from a healer, and sounds like a nature prophet. I'd personally like to see Druid used like how bloodmage is being used; A martyr. I'm not saying, "Oh hey let's sacrifice the druid and win!" No. I said this before, druid is a utility class, think of him/her to be your sword or your axe, ok? Not something you have to rely on, but something that could greatly increase your outcome of winning.

Let me just take Glents skills and tell you how they could be used. That will appease you.

Aspect of the Critter: Do I really need to explain this? It makes escaping ten times easier, not only that but what if the team had a chicken farm? Nuff' said.
Sprout: A renewable source of wood, imagine how great this would be for builders.
Birth: Great synergy with sprout and wonderful farming for rejuvenate and sprout. OMG THE SYNERGY.
Aspect of Ferocity: To be honest I don't like seeing a utility getting an attack method, but you do need some sort of defense and it makes it not to spammable or overpowered either. Also take note that Druid isn't a health heavy class.. nor defensive either.
Gills: Might as well say goodbye to a druid if he hits the water, if he gets the speed boost he's gone! Not only that but disguising yourself among other squid, let's be honest is kind of genius.
Nature's Presence: I'm not sure how this could be coded, it would seem to be much more easy to just give them blink. So it's not that much of a "needed" move.
Aspect of the Oak: Instead of turning you into a tree, (Because you just can't code that and has already been claimed impossible.) Why not push you down 2 blocks and plant a tree above you?
Aspect of Swiftness: Chasing down the enemy, using root, and then letting your teammates get the upperhand? UTILITY!

There are so much more skills that could be used to make this class more attractive, and these just take the cake. No, the whole bakery. Anyways, great suggestions Glent you definitely took initiative off of this and didn't ignorantly scream ideas. I love it.

Thanks for your opinion. Let me explain some of the decisions I made:

Sprout is a source of wood, it can also be used as a temporary wall off to cut off escaping enemies. For example, you can run up to an enemy in swiftness, root them, then cast sprout to cut them off so they have to turn around to face your team. You can also put a wall between yourself and enemies if you want to escape, but it's temporary.

Aspect of Ferocity exists because I noticed that, when the team has classes like Bards, Clerics or Disciples, there is very little impact a druid can have in the healing position. By the time you heal somebody, one of the other classes will have most likely covered the role for you. In these situations, a minor offensive boost of 2 damage per hit will atleast give you some more impact on the battle.

Nature's Presence was inspired more by Beguiler's teleport than Wizard's blink. If it couldn't be coded like the way I described, although I would prefer that, I would like them to get Teleport instead of Blink. I wanted them to get this for synergy with their "port" ability, in addition to allowing them to quickly get to their team-mates if a fight erupts while they are away, adding to their utility.

I like your solution for aspect of the oak, though there are some issues, such as the druid being more difficult to kill under the tree, which is not something I had in mind. An alternate would just be to root the player similarly to "deep freeze" (regular root is not a complete root like deep freeze, in my experience), but this would not have the visual effect.

Aspect of Swiftness can be used exactly as you described. Alternate uses include quickly manoeuvring through larger battles (During my time as disciples, I have found myself in battles spread over fairly large areas of terrain) to get back to your team and help them, and evading enemies.

gooscar

Legacy Supporter 4
I was of the understanding that the Founders weren't interested in copying other games, but I could be wrong. I think a chicken morph or something would work well with a Beguiler, matching Piggfy.
Almost all the class concepts come from D&D roleplaying :p

Aetosion

Obsidian
The idea is to evolve an original game, perhaps not from original roots, but why go back and copy even more?