• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Druid Skill Concepts

Glent

Glowing Redstone
Following my post about Aspects/Shape shifting found in Mellowbeatz's thread, and my time spent playing a druid (which I have not maxed out yet, though another player who mastered druid has talked about their lack of usefulness), I have given some thought to druids and ways to make them a more interesting class. I've composed a rough list of various ideas I've had that I'd like to post, and update/modify as I play more of druid and get the opinion of others. The first thing I'd like to mention is that I've named shapeshifts "Aspects" in this, like in my original post. I think it would be nice if we could get this feature quickly as it is something associated at the core with druids in various fantasy and RPG settings. Like I also said in the other thread, I think that having stat-based aspects that represent what shapeshifting will do at a purely statistical level would also be a cool thing to get until we can properly shapeshift, rather than having nothing until it's fully possible. That aside, here is my current opinion on some skills that could benefit druid and make it a more interesting class for players.

Dru 1: Smite -> Poison, 6 damage with a 6 dot over 6 seconds.​
Dru 11: Aspect of the Critter: Shapeshifts you into a chicken, giving you slowfalling without fall damage. Ends when you attack or use a spell.​
Dru 15: Sprout: Creates a line of trees at target location that lasts for 6 seconds. Can only be cast on grass and does not alter existing terrain. Reagent: 6 saplings
Dru 16: Birth: If near a tree, produces 2 saplings without damaging the tree.​
Dru 25: Aspect of Ferocity: Shapeshifts you into a wolf, giving you 6 damage with your fists and removing damage with all other items. Ends when you use a spell.​
Dru 32: Gills -> Aspect of the Sea: Shapeshifts you into a squid, giving you indefinite breathing underwater and a minor speed boost in water. Ends when you attack or use a spell.​
Dru 35: Nature's Presence: Teleports you to a plant (sapling, flower, tall grass) within 20 blocks of target party member. Like beguiler's teleport but requires them to be near the suitable objects. Possibly add a reagent.
Dru 42: Aspect of the Oak: Shapeshifts you into an oak tree, rooting you but adding to your mana regeneration. Only works when standing on grass. Ends when you attack or use a spell.​
Dru 45: Aspect of Swiftness: Shapeshifts you into an ocelot, granting swiftness and making you undetectable to creepers. Ends when you attack or use a spell.​

The level acquisition points I've put in here are mostly just to space it out and make it read in order. In truth, if any of these abilities were to be implemented, they could be slotted in at likely any level.

Aetosion

Obsidian
So you basically want a Minecraft version of World of Warcraft's Druids, eh? They have bear form (like wolf described), some wierd sea-lion with the same functions as your squid, and even a cat with extra speed... sound familiar?

I don't think this is the way to go for HC's Druid class.

Glent

Glowing Redstone
So you basically want a Minecraft version of World of Warcraft's Druids, eh? They have bear form (like wolf described), some word sea-lion with the same functions as your squid, and even a cat with extra speed... sound familiar?

I don't think this is the way to go for HC's Druid class.

Shapeshifting has been associated with druids since their re-imagining in Dungeons & Dragons. Druids were like clerics who spent their time in the wilderness and could shapeshift in order to better fit into their surroundings and communicate with wild animals. The stats I've listed for animals are the associated benefits you would get from being that animal, because it would make sense - you are, for all intents and purposes, that animal when you transform into it, so you take on the various characteristics associated with it. This is probably what the people who made World of Warcraft were thinking of aswell, but it's not where I got the ideas.

Aetosion

Obsidian
I was of the understanding that the Founders weren't interested in copying other games, but I could be wrong. I think a chicken morph or something would work well with a Beguiler, matching Piggfy.

Glent

Glowing Redstone
I was of the understanding that the Founders weren't interested in copying other games, but I could be wrong. I think a chicken morph or something would work well with a Beguiler, matching Piggfy.

"Druid" itself is copying other games, because while Dungeons & Dragons didn't invent druids, it is probably the first game that had them in the kindof role we see now. Celtic druids were very different from what we see in current RPGs, including Herocraft. Furthermore, we already know shapeshifting will be implemented - the ideas regarding shapeshifting in this thread are merely ideas for shapeshifts and what they could do.

When we have the ability to add in shapeshifting, we most certainly will.

Joka10

Soulsand
Druids are generally portrayed as healer-priest people. Idk for sure, but real druids were just religious leaders. Shapeshifting is a cool idea for a class, but it's pretty glitchy in MC (MobDisguise is a good example). I don't think straying too far from healing powers is good for a healing class. I think a cool idea would be the ability to set up a healing spring or something. It would cost like 500c or some other price, and there'd be a limit of 1, maybe 3. The skill would make a source block of water appear wherever the cursor was. That block and all the water flowing from it up to a certain distance away would slowly heal people standing in it. If the spring was removed (the source block deleted), then the druid would get a spring back to place elsewhere. It probably wouldn't be too hard to set up. The coordinates of where it was placed would be remembered, and that and like 6 blocks around (if there was water there) would heal the player. It just seems more true to the healer class than shapeshifting.

Glent

Glowing Redstone
Druids are generally portrayed as healer-priest people. Idk for sure, but real druids were just religious leaders. Shapeshifting is a cool idea for a class, but it's pretty glitchy in MC (MobDisguise is a good example). I don't think straying too far from healing powers is good for a healing class. I think a cool idea would be the ability to set up a healing spring or something. It would cost like 500c or some other price, and there'd be a limit of 1, maybe 3. The skill would make a source block of water appear wherever the cursor was. That block and all the water flowing from it up to a certain distance away would slowly heal people standing in it. If the spring was removed (the source block deleted), then the druid would get a spring back to place elsewhere. It probably wouldn't be too hard to set up. The coordinates of where it was placed would be remembered, and that and like 6 blocks around (if there was water there) would heal the player. It just seems more true to the healer class than shapeshifting.

It's an interesting concept. And you're right - in reality, druids were celtic preists and teachers. However, as a healing class druid is actually subpar. Clerics are the best healing class, and druids fit a more support and utility role. We see this through skills such as root, port, consume and replenish, skills granted to the druid but which are not healing abilities. My ideas for druid is to further distinguish it as a utility and support healer, similar to how wizard is a utility and support caster. Shapeshifting is a concept associated with fantasy druids, not real druids, but it could be used to further add to the support/utility elements of the hero.

I'd also like feedback on the various other small, miscellaneous ideas I listed in this thread, such as sprout and teleport.

Druid is not a healing class. Druid is a utility class, a class that should be used at the disposal of your team for a better advantage. I'm getting a little tired of people thinking druids are only meant for healing. Yes, Kainzo and other coders could take the Druid into a healing path, do I personally want that, no and I'm pretty sure I can speak for everyone when I say Healers can't do shit i've been on an on about how the druid shouldn't be babysitting a paladin and using rejuvenate/Revive every moment of their life.

To be honest, the skills Glent is proposing are pure genius. That's exactly how a Druid should be made and played. If you want to be a healer choose cleric, if you WANT a healer don't call the Druid, Druid is not a healer. Beyond my ranting and raving, I just want some diversity because let's be honest the Druid as is, is very dull and nobody really wants to spec it. I almost guarantee you that as soon as someone takes a leap on developing new skills for utilities in general, that people will spec it, love it, and play it forever.

TL;DR

Carlover1234

Obsidian
Druid already has healing spells. I thought about more, like a group rejuvenate, but didn't know how balanced those ones would be.

We get bandage, rejuvenate, pray and chant.
Okay thanks I thought your post meant the only skills and the old ones were gone. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

CB

Glowing Redstone
Aspect of the Oak: Shapeshifts you into an oak tree
That's not possible sadly. However shapeshifting into mobs is however you don't see yourself as the said mob unless you have a client side mod, either through Spoutcraft or a vanilla mod. You also wouldn't be able to walk through a hole that isn't 2 blocks tall. Just worth noting.

The shape shifting in general should also have duration instead of on attack/spell too in my opinion. Great suggestion though. I'd like to see this, with a bit of tweaking of course.

Faunherer

Legacy Supporter 4
One up for druid as utility class. I say that the shapeshifting skills should also benefit party members ie. if you are an ocelot, party members near you get a speed boost too.

Aetosion

Obsidian
Perhaps "Aspects" like arrow stances that benefit the party. I fail to see how Druids would gain any utility/support for a group by mob morphing. That to me seems like a Druid just wanting to become an animal for fun.
@Mellowbeatz - Healers are NOT useless. Disciples murder me in PvP, with their ability to stop me kiting. All Healers are additionally valuable because of the mob arena, and are always very welcome on raids. In fact, I was planning respeccing a support geared class, as I'm 2 1/2 levels from mastering my current class.

zZHeroInSoup

Obsidian
ehh i think.some of these abilities are cool but i think druids should be able to summon insects to dps up to 4 players that are not partied up with the druid

And i think these insects should appear as experience orbs.

Glent

Glowing Redstone
That's not possible sadly. However shapeshifting into mobs is however you don't see yourself as the said mob unless you have a client side mod, either through Spoutcraft or a vanilla mod. You also wouldn't be able to walk through a hole that isn't 2 blocks tall. Just worth noting.

The shape shifting in general should also have duration instead of on attack/spell too in my opinion. Great suggestion though. I'd like to see this, with a bit of tweaking of course.

Sad day. However, I disagree with a duration on shapeshifts. I think they should have fairly long cooldowns though (not ten minutes, but maybe 2-4 minutes), so you cannot just spam into forms between regular casts.

One up for druid as utility class. I say that the shapeshifting skills should also benefit party members ie. if you are an ocelot, party members near you get a speed boost too.

I like this idea, but it should be a reduced effect. If ocelot were to give druids 20% speed, party members should only get 10%.

Perhaps "Aspects" like arrow stances that benefit the party. I fail to see how Druids would gain any utility/support for a group by mob morphing. That to me seems like a Druid just wanting to become an animal for fun.
@Mellowbeatz - Healers are NOT useless. Disciples murder me in PvP, with their ability to stop me kiting. All Healers are additionally valuable because of the mob arena, and are always very welcome on raids. In fact, I was planning respeccing a support geared class, as I'm 2 1/2 levels from mastering my current class.

Druids are not group support characters. They have three heals (sans bandage) and all of them are single target - the only other healer without a multi-target heal is bloodmage, who is actually more of a group support character due to soul bond, in my opinion.

I think how you approach this depends on your definition of a support & utility ability. Blink, for instance, is a utility ability, and does not benefit the group. Like blink, the various shapeshifting forms would not benefit your entire party, but they would help you to benefit your entire party. The various animal forms give the druid the versatility and utility in order to fulfil various roles. The wolf aspect would mainly be used when levelling for some additional damage, or in situations where your heals are not contributing. The swiftness aspect on the other hand would help you chase down fleeing opponents or give you additional battlefield movement, not on the scale of blink, but possibly enough to help you position yourself and keep up with moving battles. Finally, Disciples are probably the ONLY healers that could murder you in PvP. Disciple is a very combat-oriented healer class (although it currently is better than druids because chakra is very strong), and to talk about it when talking about all healers is grossly disproportionate.

ehh i think.some of these abilities are cool but i think druids should be able to summon insects to dps up to 4 players that are not partied up with the druid

And i think these insects should appear as experience orbs.

This affect could be added to poison, however I don't think an aggressive group spell is a good idea due to the support/utility nature of the hero.
nope insects more druidy.

lets avoid letting players have the ability to use like every mob in mc to their advantage we need them to stay as wild.mobs

but.silverfish should be dreadknight ability. but the dks just need the nerf

Silverfish are insects, silly.