• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Beating up new players

Haxnn

Legacy Supporter 3
The only reason we don't see many "Good" guilds is because there are no advantages to having one, where evil guilds have no disadvantages.

Dielan9999

Legacy Supporter 5
I think an automatic bounty system would be fun. It would encourage pvp among those capable of killing people, and it would be detrimental to all those people killing new players for killstreaks. It could be detected by such a plugin when someone who is spec'd kills a bunch of people who aren't spec'd in a short timeframe.

That's not a perfect system, but people put bounties on people anyway; and it's the only time pvpers go out of their way to do world pvp against someone on their level.

HelsEch

ICE ICE ICE!
I was about to write a long, winded comment about this thread, but then I decided I didn't want to C: I hope Herocraft will change itself for the better in the future so that the learning curve isn't enter game -> get killed by complete strangers constantly -> hope a tightly knit group of strangers will be kind enough to shelter you when there's hardly any raw materials to work with for the next 1500 blocks to get you started.

Jasquan

Legacy Supporter 9
I was about to write a long, winded comment about this thread, but then I decided I didn't want to C: I hope Herocraft will change itself for the better in the future so that the learning curve isn't enter game -> get killed by complete strangers constantly -> hope a tightly knit group of strangers will be kind enough to shelter you when there's hardly any raw materials to work with for the next 1500 blocks to get you started.
Yes! It's so annoying when people generally log in just to get killed... I use the macros mod, and I'm a disc, which isn't my primary config, so whenever I log in I need to change it to my disc config... the second I logged in I got bashed. :/

On a sidenote: What is that anime/manga in your sig/profile picture? :eek:

victim130

Legacy Supporter 8
because the current system benefits new players being killed.

It's a flaw in the system and human psyche.

I want to enable punishments for killing someone, a lawless society is currently residing on Herocraft.

I want Laws / Crimes and the ability for an automated system to set bounties / blacklist players who break the rules constantly. (by murdering/stealing etc)

It's a big undertaking and not something I've yet to produce.
This would work if Skills and classes were not so meta based. If it was more player skill we could dominate under the guise of a lawful system. However, this is because of restrictions. I'd say its 70% Mechanics and 30% skill. Or you could always make it so good players gain damage buffs, but I think that's a bit over the top :p
Sounds like discouraging pvp, imo. Unless this is ONLY for camping newer players, or camping the same player over and over (ie: 10+kills an hour). However, there have been players who in the past raged out and ran towards armed players over and over and over.
I dunno, instead of an automated plugin, why not just make the KoK, like Agent said. We need good players, a 'good' guild.
Though, it would ruin the current aspect of PvP, it would usher in a new kind of combat. Although I think the current Karma system Kain wants is flawed, if we went on a huge overhaul with how the combat works, it could work amazingly. Picture spawn a bustling community of shoppers by day, but stalked by thieves by night. Spawn could go full PvP off and allow players to feel safe without some magic barrier and then in the same sense feel at danger. On a side note, stealth mechanics based on light levels making you more transparent depending would be bad ass too. But good players could "Police" around and defend weaker (Lesser skilled players or new players/low levels) while bad players could steal and murder.

Although I'd say we'd need at least 50% Skill 50% mechanics while I'd say 30-70 would be better. Although I don't have the slightest idea how to achieve this, nor do I think its possible with MC restrictions mixed with Heroes. For instance, WoW relies on the player being able to follow a combo based on your opponent while knowing when to silence/cc and use defensive cooldowns. I'd still say this is heavy on mechanics, but the skill cap is much higher than Heroes. While Heroes relies on just a combo that you will always use mixed with a few defensive cooldowns and CC. I personally see Heroes as a mini-WoW (While you are free to disagree) and I know Kain does not particularly want that. Though on the opposite, Tera relies on player skill much more than mechanics with free movement and aiming on all the attacks and spells. -At this point I really hope I'm still on topic- I think we are never going to achieve Tera's level of skill cap, but its my only example.

Why? Well at the moment the skill cap is easily hit. So those just learning are super easy to beat and those who have mastered it are too hard to beat/too even with one another. Plus we rely on Warrior>Rogue Rogue>Wizard Wizard>Warrior Healer (Greaterthan or equal to) Warrior-Rogue-Wizard. It would be awesome to have it Player=Player (On a similar skill level).

TLDR: Heroes is awesome, but players cap too easily at max level and those who don't are camped for days on end. And the karma system would be bad ass if combat geared towards it.[DOUBLEPOST=1359847521,1359847491][/DOUBLEPOST]If I explained anything weirdly/wrong feel free to let me know, I'm half distracted atm.

HelsEch

ICE ICE ICE!
This would work if Skills and classes were not so meta based. If it was more player skill we could dominate under the guise of a lawful system. However, this is because of restrictions. I'd say its 70% Mechanics and 30% skill. Or you could always make it so good players gain damage buffs, but I think that's a bit over the top :p

Though, it would ruin the current aspect of PvP, it would usher in a new kind of combat. Although I think the current Karma system Kain wants is flawed, if we went on a huge overhaul with how the combat works, it could work amazingly. Picture spawn a bustling community of shoppers by day, but stalked by thieves by night. Spawn could go full PvP off and allow players to feel safe without some magic barrier and then in the same sense feel at danger. On a side note, stealth mechanics based on light levels making you more transparent depending would be bad ass too. But good players could "Police" around and defend weaker (Lesser skilled players or new players/low levels) while bad players could steal and murder.

Although I'd say we'd need at least 50% Skill 50% mechanics while I'd say 30-70 would be better. Although I don't have the slightest idea how to achieve this, nor do I think its possible with MC restrictions mixed with Heroes. For instance, WoW relies on the player being able to follow a combo based on your opponent while knowing when to silence/cc and use defensive cooldowns. I'd still say this is heavy on mechanics, but the skill cap is much higher than Heroes. While Heroes relies on just a combo that you will always use mixed with a few defensive cooldowns and CC. I personally see Heroes as a mini-WoW (While you are free to disagree) and I know Kain does not particularly want that. Though on the opposite, Tera relies on player skill much more than mechanics with free movement and aiming on all the attacks and spells. -At this point I really hope I'm still on topic- I think we are never going to achieve Tera's level of skill cap, but its my only example.

Why? Well at the moment the skill cap is easily hit. So those just learning are super easy to beat and those who have mastered it are too hard to beat/too even with one another. Plus we rely on Warrior>Rogue Rogue>Wizard Wizard>Warrior Healer (Greaterthan or equal to) Warrior-Rogue-Wizard. It would be awesome to have it Player=Player (On a similar skill level).

TLDR: Heroes is awesome, but players cap too easily at max level and those who don't are camped for days on end. And the karma system would be bad ass if combat geared towards it.[DOUBLEPOST=1359847521,1359847491][/DOUBLEPOST]If I explained anything weirdly/wrong feel free to let me know, I'm half distracted atm.

Darn you, I was about to write some large post with my thoughts on this matter, then decided not to. Then you do yours and now I want to, but am far too lazy to write those paragraphs all over.

thomasyeung9999

Soulsand
There is a neutral guild which helps new players.
It is called guardians of the mountain, i am in that guild too.
Just telling you guys that there is a guild who tend to help new players.
If you guys have the heart to help newbies to set up and kill those campers.
Join that guild.
Is this called advertising or what, cause i am just telling the truth.

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
I dunno, instead of an automated plugin, why not just make the KoK, like Agent said. We need good players, a 'good' guild.
This will not happen as these is no benefit for being a "good" player. At the moment it is far more beneficial to be evil which is why a system needs to be created to either give positive bonuses to good players or give negative ones to evil ones. Just looking at the past year of Herocraft will prove my point. There have been a grand total of 0 good influential parties in HC over the past year.

HelsEch

ICE ICE ICE!
Meh tbh killing noobs is fun

I'd expect that from you C:

This will not happen as these is no benefit for being a "good" player. At the moment it is far more beneficial to be evil which is why a system needs to be created to either give positive bonuses to good players or give negative ones to evil ones. Just looking at the past year of Herocraft will prove my point. There have been a grand total of 0 good influential parties in HC over the past year.

Good being a part of HC pretty much died with Sanctum. Zeal brought with it many evils and each map after the foothold of justice was broken down further. Why do you think I'm becoming less visible with each map? </3

HolyRane

Legacy Supporter 7
I'd expect that from you C:

Good being a part of HC pretty much died with Sanctum. Zeal brought with it many evils and each map after the foothold of justice was broken down further. Why do you think I'm becoming less visible with each map? </3
omg i just realized its helsech lol

Symbolite

Legacy Supporter 7
Newerth was once a very "Good" town. The way the server has progressed forced us to become at best a Chaotic Neutral entity to remain prosperous on this ever changing server with it's many Evils.

Aerokii

Legacy Supporter 8

:( The Templar were (one of) the largest guild in HC history before I went inactive, haha. Whether or not we were really "influential" is debatable, however.

And you're right- there is no benefit for being a good player. But... that misses the point of being good, doesn't it? Why not be good just because it's the right thing to do?

If/when I get a town up and running, you better believe this is my plan.

EDIT: qualifier, since I don't know enough about sanctum/kingdom guilds.

victim130

Legacy Supporter 8
:( The Templar were the largest guild in HC history before I went inactive, haha. Whether or not we were really "influential" is debatable, however.

And you're right- there is no benefit for being a good player. But... that misses the point of being good, doesn't it? Why not be good just because it's the right thing to do?

Thing is, humans are deeply "Evil" in this society of ours, we want to gain something from our work and if we can cut the work part and keep the gain, we do that instead. Discipline was what we used to keep people in check and even religion at points, but both are non-existent or close to in our current world. So when a human breaks from the machine, they tend to go for the most beneficial alignment.

Since I know of such principals I tend to stay Neutral, its fun for me to stay true to my cause.

Aerokii

Legacy Supporter 8
Thing is, humans are deeply "Evil" in this society of ours, we want to gain something from our work and if we can cut the work part and keep the gain, we do that instead. Discipline was what we used to keep people in check and even religion at points, but both are non-existent or close to in our current world. So when a human breaks from the machine, they tend to go for the most beneficial alignment.

Since I know of such principals I tend to stay Neutral, its fun for me to stay true to my cause.

I will not let human nature define who I am, nor will I accept it as an excuse for the actions of another- we all have the ability to be better, to become more than what we are. You say discipline does not exist in our current world?

I say it is because we haven't done enough to create a proper environment for it. Evil triumphs when good people do nothing. If people want to see an improvement in this server, if we want to turn the tide of evil, we're going to need to do more than whine about spawn camping on the forums.

HolyRane

Legacy Supporter 7
:( The Templar were the largest guild in HC history before I went inactive, haha. Whether or not we were really "influential" is debatable, however.

you're forgetting about bloodline bruh