• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Alternate Thievery Penalty

Glent

Glowing Redstone
Recently the penalty for being caught in a thievery attempt was changed to instantly deal 150 damage. This means it is an instant kill in the vast majority of cases. It's honestly an uninteresting and overkill penalty. This is what I propose for an alternative penalty:

When caught in the act of thieving, the thief should be stunned for 3 seconds, but take no damage. They should also drop every item they've stolen in that attempt, as well as 1-3 additional items from their inventory. This means they aren't simply instakilled and lose everything, but still punishes them for mucking up thieving attempts. Also, some way to prevent them from picking up the items for the stun duration would be put in - or perhaps the items are given instantly to the inventory of the victim.

Lil122j

Stone
Sounds good. I kinda just wish I had a way to know it was an instakill before I tried stealing from someone with so much stuff in my inventory. Word of Mouth isn't a good source of information, as it often comes too late.

Galaxial

Legacy Supporter 4
Instead of a certain set value of damage, what about a percentage? That'd make more sense
Not fully healed - face death

A

alexhoff1

Insta death = way too OP / unfair / damaging / (giving level 6 casters kills)

and it gets worse - if your on the screen and they turn around you die aswell.

Galaxial

Legacy Supporter 4
Hmm. Well, it is arguable that in some cases Thievery is an OP class itself, but as a non-Thief excuse me if my opinion may come across as biased :p
I personally think that the stun idea is a good idea, but not too sure about the dropping of items, as the Thief may be able to return the items. What about a reverse-pickpocket?
"You give the pocket of whom you were trying to thief a gift"

Glent

Glowing Redstone
Instead of a certain set value of damage, what about a percentage? That'd make more sense
Not fully healed - face death

The problem with it not being an instant kill and only being damage is that they can just eat a bread or two and be back at it with no penalty. That's why I proposed this instead of any damage.

ICherry_girl

Glowstone
I can't help but agree with this, I don't think any skills should have an "insta-kill" function. Taking damage never made any sense either, and being stunned doesn't even matter in a no pvp zone, it just wastes time. As far as I see it:

- Items that were stolen should return to the victim. Along with compensation for being troubled. (1-3 random items from your inventory)
- Not being able to pickpocket the same person again until they "Settle down" i.e. 30 seconds.
- Or lose money in the struggle.

Taking damage in a no-pvp zone doesn't really do much, and instant death is just overpowered.
You can argue that people can be stolen from in the wilderness, but who does that rather than just killing the guy?

Thoth

Legacy Supporter 4
Please don't kill me when I try and steal 10 redstone to go home. :(

draconis99

Holy
Retired Staff
Max Legacy Supporter
Recently the penalty for being caught in a thievery attempt was changed to instantly deal 150 damage. This means it is an instant kill in the vast majority of cases. It's honestly an uninteresting and overkill penalty. This is what I propose for an alternative penalty:

When caught in the act of thieving, the thief should be stunned for 3 seconds, but take no damage. They should also drop every item they've stolen in that attempt, as well as 1-3 additional items from their inventory. This means they aren't simply instakilled and lose everything, but still punishes them for mucking up thieving attempts. Also, some way to prevent them from picking up the items for the stun duration would be put in - or perhaps the items are given instantly to the inventory of the victim.

so a thief stealing from someone with an empty inventory loses...?

I would say thievery as it is with no-pvp and insta-death works out great. I would argue that thievery exp level should drop on death as well, requiring thieves to be more careful. Later on when no-pvp could possibly be disabled and the karma system implemented, I see no problem reducing the damage to a miniscule 5 and enabling free kills on the thief without guard or karma penalties on the person attacking the caught thief.

Glent

Glowing Redstone
so a thief stealing from someone with an empty inventory loses...?

I would say thievery as it is with no-pvp and insta-death works out great. I would argue that thievery exp level should drop on death as well, requiring thieves to be more careful. Later on when no-pvp could possibly be disabled and the karma system implemented, I see no problem reducing the damage to a miniscule 5 and enabling free kills on the thief without guard or karma penalties on the person attacking the caught thief.

A thief with an empty inventory loses about as much as they do with instant-death in my idea. But it's a lot less ridiculous and makes more sense.

Lil122j

Stone
Insta-Death still seems a bit much to me. I can see people complain about it being used in no-pvp, but who the hell is gonna use it in the wilderness? As already suggested, it would make much more sense if getting caught made the thief become stunned and have to drop what items he/she stole as well as more if possible.
Also after getting caught, the thief should have a long cooldown to keep from the constant pestering.

Bossman1113

Stone
Lol alexhoff is specifically talking about me. he tried to steal from me at spawn and got instakilled. It was big surprise for the both of is, but even funnier for me xD

kevinlive

Legacy Supporter 2
Lol alexhoff is specifically talking about me. he tried to steal from me at spawn and got instakilled. It was big surprise for the both of is, but even funnier for me xD
It's funnier when you're tricking theives to try to steal from you by standing "afk" in f5 somewhere >:3 Free loot \o/

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
The only reason why this has instant kill is because its usable in no-pvp areas. There is no way for the victim to kill the thief if caught. Adjustments are being made for Thieves to ensure risk vs reward are balanced.

dils1

Legacy Supporter 7
idea:
If a thief is caught he does loose some of his items+ the stuff he stole, but i reckon a JAIL/prison should be made for thieves that are caught, sorta brings a bit of reality to it. so if they get caught, they lose some items and get teleported to a prison where they cant leave for a period of time

Lil122j

Stone
Great, so if people go back to being thieves like before the insta-kill, we get half the server rotting in a cell. Sounds interesting.

itzmak

Legacy Supporter 7
What's the point of it just doing a % of damage? All they have to do is eat food and their hp is back. I think if the thief gets caught they get stunned for x seconds and a pvp flag is thrown up on them for an x amount of time. That way it's not an instant kill and the thief can't get away with stealing without the risk of dying.

kevinlive

Legacy Supporter 2
What's the point of it just doing a % of damage? All they have to do is eat food and their hp is back. I think if the thief gets caught they get stunned for x seconds and a pvp flag is thrown up on them for an x amount of time. That way it's not an instant kill and the thief can't get away with stealing without the risk of dying.
Yeah, like in the middle age. See a theif theiving - everyone rushes to catch him!