• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Alternate Thievery Penalty

Glent

Glowing Redstone
The problems here are that if it's not an instant kill but is damage, there is no penalty for using it in non-PvP areas. This is why instant kill was put in. However, this leads to another problem - now there is no reason to use it, either. The risk is too high, it doesn't make sense, and it's very much overkill. This is why I suggested what I put in the OP - Kainzo has said that it's impossible to enable pvp on them in non-pvp regions, meaning that is not an option - so instead, I proposed this idea as it is a penalty for stealing since the thief loses items and gains nothing if caught, but not so severe that there is never any reason to steal from someone who is not afk.

Perlmutter

Legacy Supporter 7
If it happens in no-pvp, Why not it teleport the thief to a "jail cell" for a certain amount of time, and remove money from the thief, maybe 25c. Then after the sentence, they get returned to their original location? This would be only for if it happened in a no-PVC area, and make it so in a pvp area they take 50 damage?

You'd have to also remove red stone from their inventory when they are placed in jail

Cloverhook

Legacy Supporter 3
Great, so if people go back to being thieves like before the insta-kill, we get half the server rotting in a cell. Sounds interesting.

It'd be a short enough sentence that there would never be more than a couple thieves jailed at any given time. 3 minutes or something -- enough time for the victim to move on to somewhere else, and enough time to be an inconvenience for the thief.

Hell, if you want to get really crazy with it, maybe it'd be possible to have the jail time decrease as you level up in Thief? So that a level 1 Thief would be jailed for 5 minutes upon failure, while a level 50 Thief might only have to deal with 30 seconds or so.

I dig the stun idea, too, but without being able to also mark them for PvP, it definitely lacks teeth.

What if, upon being caught, the thief loses 5-10% of his/her coin (which goes directly to the victim), and simply can't make another attempt for 5 minutes or so? Basically, have it enforce a cooldown on failure.

Dazureus

Legacy Supporter 4
Is it possible for Heroes to generate regions?

Give the Thief a debilitating stun (5 seconds?), have them drop the stolen items, and make a PvP-on region (25x25?) centered on the Thief that lasts for about a minute. If the Thief is feeling outclassed, they could try and run. If the victim doesn't want to bother fighting, they can run while the Thief is stunned.

I like that they would actually need to flee the area to be safe again, but of course this is just brainstorming.

kevinlive

Legacy Supporter 2
Is it possible for Heroes to generate regions?

Give the Thief a debilitating stun (5 seconds?), have them drop the stolen items, and make a PvP-on region (25x25?) centered on the Thief that lasts for about a minute. If the Thief is feeling outclassed, they could try and run. If the victim doesn't want to bother fighting, they can run while the Thief is stunned.

I like that they would actually need to flee the area to be safe again, but of course this is just brainstorming.
Rather make it 5x5 or 8x8. 25x25 would allow anyone to run toward you and kill you.

Dazureus

Legacy Supporter 4
Rather make it 5x5 or 8x8. 25x25 would allow anyone to run toward you and kill you.
Gotta realize you only have to run halfway across to escape. And IMO other people would make this even more interesting: You may get the help of your friends to attack others when they catch you, or there may be people acting as guards just looking for a Thief to kill. Stealing could become a lot more situational and tactical.

Cloverhook

Legacy Supporter 3
Gotta realize you only have to run halfway across to escape. And IMO other people would make this even more interesting: You may get the help of your friends to attack others when they catch you, or there may be people acting as guards just looking for a Thief to kill. Stealing could become a lot more situational and tactical.

I definitely dig the idea of generated PvP regions, though I'm not sure how possible it is on the coding front. It'd open up a lot of interesting gameplay -- bodyguards for people doing important trades, thieves bringing buddies to back them up in case they fail, etc. Something along those lines would definitely make thieving interesting, and a lot more balanced.

Barnubus

Legacy Supporter 8
I'm down for the insta-death! You wanna risk stealing from people, you risk your life, just like in real life back in the Medieval times.

MajorasMask

Ungodly
I don't believe it @Glent...

I actually agree with you! :D

But, Kainzo was right, in non-PvP zones people can go in, with no items, and try to steal from anyone. Kinda sucks, I know. Maybe change it around so that it deals damage in non-pvp, and does not in pvp?

Glent

Glowing Redstone
I don't believe it @Glent...

I actually agree with you! :D

But, Kainzo was right, in non-PvP zones people can go in, with no items, and try to steal from anyone. Kinda sucks, I know. Maybe change it around so that it deals damage in non-pvp, and does not in pvp?

Thing is they don't lose anything if they go in with no items right now anyway, and that's probably what people will do. Dying with no items isn't really any loss. If anything, this suggestion would lower the inclination in doing this, because you don't lose everything on failure, only some of your items.

Bossman1113

Stone
What about losing levels/exp + coin? It makes sense, you get caught for stealing and you level down because you werent being stealthy enough. Then you would have to return any items and pay a fine. If its possible, the fine could even vary depending on what they attempted to steal. So you tried to steal a diamond, you lose 20-25 coin vs attempting to steal, not getting anythin.g and paying 1-5 coin