• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

1.8. How could this change multiplayer minecraft?

Will 1.8 benefit multiplayer minecraft?

• Total voters
A

_AMPLiFY

I'm sure most people know of Notch's stream of 1.8 today at PAX where he showed off 1.8 revealed some things and answered questions. Well crafthub.net put together a nice list of the new things that have been confirmed for the upcoming update. (Link to the post: http://crafthub.net/2011/08/26/pax-conference-reviles-details-on-1-8/)

After reading this post, it really got me wondering how this is going to change multiplayer minecraft. The big one is the new stats, more specifically XP. Will this be carried into multiplayer? How will this interfere with plugins which already help you 'level up'. Also, it says killing monsters will give you experience, now will this give you advantages against other players on the server (PvP)? Personally I don't think its fair that people who spend their time killing monsters will have the upper hand in PvP.

Another change coming with 1.8 is NPC villages. Will these pop up in multiplayer? How will this effect servers like herocraft which are based on townships?

Lastly, there are major landscape additions coming with 1.8. With things like mountains, swamps, volcanoes (might be added) oceans and rivers. I'm sure people will want to see these in Herocraft, but who will they be added? Generate new biomes? I really don't know.

Thanks for reading, I am looking forward to hearing your feedback, opinions and ideas.

Airbus101

Legacy Supporter 7
Kainzo has a plan to expand the map, not to mention eventually adding multiverse back for other lands. this will take care of the bio dome addition with out ruining what we have.

I remember him saying somthing about villiages, but I forget the details but they know about it.

I know nothing about XP other then the coders can manipulate the damages and stats of items and players at will so fear not.

Airbus101

Psychokhaos

Legacy Supporter 3
The XP is, according to notch, going to work like this; when you kill a monster, they will/have a chance to drop an experience orb, which will simply give you some experience. At the time, the experience apparently has no use, and it will be fully reset when you die.

So, with the upper hand in PvP, I dont think it will affect the damage dealt, right now just bragging rights.

CheeseN1P

Legacy Supporter 4
It will be nice because since they are adding in the XP GUI, while they they might not make use of the orbs from mob drops. its likely that they might be able to now have a XP bar instead of /level.

not to mention the addition of sprint and shield. those will help improve the class setup.

xFinaLx

Legacy Supporter 7
In the stream, Notch mentioned that current maps will not support 1.8 features. This is because he completely rewrote the biome code. I'm almost positive it also means simply generating new chunks won't add the new features, but I could be wrong. Anyone know if this is true or not?

Faunherer

Legacy Supporter 4
In the stream, Notch mentioned that current maps will not support 1.8 features. This is because he completely rewrote the biome code. I'm almost positive it also means simply generating new chunks won't add the new features, but I could be wrong. Anyone know if this is true or not?
I do not see why it wouldn't

Dazureus

Legacy Supporter 4
We'll get there when we get there, I suppose. I hope it works. If not... here, have a Warshard!

In addition, vertically-arranged dungeons -> classes that can avoid fall damage -> oh yeah.

KrunknMunky

Legacy Supporter 3

That is incorrect; when new chunks are generated, they will be 1.8 chunks. the only thing is that the transition between the current map and the extended 1.8 parts will not be completely smooth. You may have a sea merging into a giant mountain, or clashes between biomes.

Cruben

Dirt
The current Minecraft code uses objects called Entities for things like mobs, players, and item drops. If I am correct, Notch will be making experience orbs Entities, and so will therefore allow coders to modify the XP drops etc (and also choose what to do with them). I have no idea why he wouldn't make them server-side, so I think we will be fine.

Doreagarde

Legacy Supporter 5
That is incorrect; when new chunks are generated, they will be 1.8 chunks. the only thing is that the transition between the current map and the extended 1.8 parts will not be completely smooth. You may have a sea merging into a giant mountain, or clashes between biomes.
We've seen this before too, on the last map. After an update/map expansion, there was a giant divide at an even 1000 blocks surrounding Sanctum. It had sheer cliffs, and the ocean just kinda stopped. It was pretty cool.

Fury

Iron
The need to eat thing could probably be turned off on a server. Hp regen like that could be nice but may end up breaking healing effects if it's % based.

7thKnight

Legacy Supporter 7
Oh god, It'll be the weather update all over again. Snowy deserts anyone? ;D

Every update changes the multiplayer experience. To improve it for the best your mission is simple. Go to Minecon, Find Notch, and beat him with a fish that says "Multithreading" on the side. Don't worry what Multithreading means, just want it like a missing remote.

Demonxman

Obsidian
cant spam arrows = ranger underpowered as fuck. I plan on respeccing healer if they fuck up bows power shot or no.