• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

1.7 = Thursday - back up your JAR!

wolfgang784

Legacy Supporter 3
If you have the new launcher, the one that came out in like January, it gives you the option when you log in if you would like to update or not....If you click no, you continue to log in as normal without updating.

If you have the crappy old launcher, then it forces the update unless you go into your bin after you update and change the jar. After the other files are changed, it will let you log in as normal THINKING you updated even though your jar is old.

Hmm... no one's said it explicitly yet, does one just copy over the entire bin folder and switch back and forth between the 1.6.6 bin and the 1.7 bin as they please?

wolfgang784

Legacy Supporter 3
No just the minecraft.jar inside the bin. Most people keep several minecraft.jars with different names such a minecraft 1.7.jar or 1.6.6 and such.

Although if you have file extensions hidden it will just be a java file called minecraft inside your bin. So make the updated version called 1.7 and the old one just minecraft.jar so the game will start with that one loaded and you can play on the server.

ForTehZZZ

Coal
OH - So that means I can actually just get a more later version of the Launcher? Where can I get that from?

wolfgang784

Legacy Supporter 3
Go to minecraft.net and re download minecraft. It will download the new launcher. I can't believe so many players don't know about it lol, it came out 5 MONTHS ago. Possibly close to 6.

ForTehZZZ

Coal
Yes! Works now! :) MUCH BETTER! :)

But... a lil' slow on the logging in part... BUT.... nice to have an update option! :)

Tylord621

Dirt
Im a complete retard when it comes to this stuff so can someone explain how to change back to the old version so I can play. I just updated to 1.7 and didn't know I wasn't supposed to right away

gabizou

Sage of World Making
Architect
Legacy Supporter 7
Im a complete retard when it comes to this stuff so can someone explain how to change back to the old version so I can play. I just updated to 1.7 and didn't know I wasn't supposed to right away
If you are on vista/7 go to the start menu and in search type "run"
push enter.
A new window pops up and type exactly this: %appdata% and push return
Look for .minecraft folder in the explorer window that pops up, go to bin and there's the minecraft jar that needs to be renamed to minecraft(1.7) or whatever so you know what it is and paste or move the jar that you downloaded to play on herocraft.

A

Alente1

Alright for those of you who aren't very... technically adapt here's a one-click method to do it.

Just run the 1.6.6.bat file inside, you don't even have to extract it, and it should work.

Attachments

• 1.6.6hc.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 114

SpenserJ

Legacy Supporter 5
Since Alente was nice enough to provide Windows users with a one click method to downgrade minecraft, I have modified it for OSX (and possibly Linux) users. Unzip the file, double click 1.6.6.command, and it will downgrade everything for you :)

Attachments

• 1.6.6hc.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 75
Gabizou, I have been wondering for months why the only way I've been able to find my .minecraft file was through a search of the entire C drive... thank you for your amazing explanation.

Please make sure to back up your 1.6.6 jar in preparation for thursday.

Someone was gracious enough to submit a dl link to the current jar.
1.6.6 JAR

YOU and whoever gave this to you is AMAZING! But, you do know this is punishable by law to put a copy the jar file onto a file sharing website unless you are POSITIVE the person downloading the file has bought said game... but really, whos goin to tell ;)

Brutalacerate

AdministRaper
YOU and whoever gave this to you is AMAZING! But, you do know this is punishable by law to put a copy the jar file onto a file sharing website unless you are POSITIVE the person downloading the file has bought said game... but really, whos goin to tell ;)
It's also punishable by law, in California, for animals to mate publicly within 1,500 feet of a school, church or bar, but it's not a big enough deal that anyone's going to do anything about it; way to kill a thread. :p

gabizou

Sage of World Making
Architect
Legacy Supporter 7
It's also punishable by law, in California, for animals to mate publicly within 1,500 feet of a school, church or bar, but it's not a big enough deal that anyone's going to do anything about it; way to kill a thread. :p
Also do you know that its punishable by law in Los Angeles, California for you to beat your wife with a stick thicker than the width of your thumb? There are many laws crazy sure, but if they don't have the other important files like those two jars, then they can't run minecraft? I made sure of that :p

Pugglez_

Legacy Supporter 3
Since Alente was nice enough to provide Windows users with a one click method to downgrade minecraft, I have modified it for OSX (and possibly Linux) users. Unzip the file, double click 1.6.6.command, and it will downgrade everything for you :)

Its not working D:

Doreagarde

Legacy Supporter 5
Its not working D:

Make sure you're going from a clean install (i.e. delete your minecraft.jar and version.txt files, run the minecraft launcher, let it update itself, then close it and try the auto-installer again). If it still doesn't work, rewrite your .jar file with the .jar from Kainzo's first post on this thread. That method should work if all else fails.

Pugglez_

Legacy Supporter 3
Make sure you're going from a clean install (i.e. delete your minecraft.jar and version.txt files, run the minecraft launcher, let it update itself, then close it and try the auto-installer again). If it still doesn't work, rewrite your .jar file with the .jar from Kainzo's first post on this thread. That method should work if all else fails.
Wohoo, It worked. Thanks. :D