• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion XP Boost problems

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
So I come to you guys as a community manager and the one person that can make sure things are going in the right direction, to bring up a topic I feel needs to be addressed to ensure proper community goals are met.

I feel the boosts are too much. I feel that its not the amount of times they are purchased, I feel that the issue is the size of the boost.
We originally started the boosts at 25 / 50 / 100% and then over time its migrated into "more and more". This may have been because of wanting more money or just making a faster level experience.

Why do I want to ultimately reduce the amount of bonus exp?
Map longevity.

Why are high-boosts good for the server?
  • They are 50% of our income.
  • They let players feel like they are progressing much faster
  • They increase server activity
Why are high-boosts bad for the server?
  • They diminish content.
  • They decrease map life.
  • They encourage players to whine about not having a boost
  • They encourage players to only "play" when there's a boost

I feel that maps like Zeal took 2 months to master for various reasons. 1) being there werent growth mobs and 2) there werent exp boosts. Was the leveling "super fun" ? no probably not, but people primarily used spawners (they were legal). We now have spawners again that are legal (dungeons).

T2 classes were brought out not only as an additional hook, but a way to see how quickly players in Herocraft could grind out "another class" and it was astonishingly fast with 300% running all night.

My solutions to resolving some of this?
  • Reduce the "top end" amount of boosts from 310% to something more respectable
  • Introduce more "end game" things such as arenas, mob arenas, more bosses in dungeons
  • Continually balance the gap between beginning to master.

We are not trying to make you mindlessly grind for weeks to get your mastery, we just want to make sure there is healthy map life.

Last edited:

Ultanian

Portal
In all honesty grinding wouldn't be bad if mobs were actually difficult to defeat. Not by quantity or amount of health, but rather by variance and strategy. I haven't seen a single MythicMob yet this map, and really hoping it comes back.

Watermelon_01

Legacy Supporter 2
Though I agree that boosts do need to be decreased in their "power", I feel that there are better ways of increasing map longevity. The boosts give people a sense of reason to spend some time playing on the server, not that it will always make the player become a leveler (like 5 masteries in 1 day) but to just play on the server in general wether they be mining, mob grinding, or just messing around. The decrease in exp required to master a class may be a factor to this as of the swap from Aegis and Sanctuary to Valorium and may have been a little hasty, especially thanks to the amount of players we have seen join after the update.

I propose a major improvement to the classes, not just the existing ones being possibly changed (idc abut this so much) but adding in more classes primarily. I see where you all are going with the T2 classes but they are a little faulty in my opinion. I'd like to see them be like some rpg games where they "become" other, possibly more powerful classes. They could just be a change in skills to limit severity of spread so to speak or a complete new way of fighting to become more powerful (but I highly advise not this option).

I will keep this as short as it is now to keep it from being too much of a hassle but thank you for your time and hope you all consider my ideas.
(I am open to suggestions :))

Beau_Nearh

Portal
Completely agree with the possible boost changes as it is a little over the top now considering spawners now give the full amount of exp. Plus, with mythic mobs soon to be brought back with increase exp on those types of mobs (I think), it shouldn't be too hard to level within big groups in dungeon raids. Also, could we please have the T2 classes exp decrease brought back down to 25% from 50% as it's too easy to level those T2 classes now (managed to get to level 54 crusader on and off grinding and most of the time, a boost wasn't even active).

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
In all honesty grinding wouldn't be bad if mobs were actually difficult to defeat. Not by quantity or amount of health, but rather by variance and strategy. I haven't seen a single MythicMob yet this map, and really hoping it comes back.
They were causing catastrophic lag so I removed them. Expect them to return very soon (or in an arena style if nothing else)

xMJay

Portal
Adding attribute armor and weapons to the loot table would give people a reason to grind mobs other than levels. Armor/weapons should be relatively common because the many different types of armor and weapons and the randomness of attributes would still require people to grind for a decent amount of time to complete their desired set.

grinding for gear>grinding for levels

BeasttRecon

Legacy Supporter 4
Adding attribute armor and weapons to the loot table would give people a reason to grind mobs other than levels. Armor/weapons should be relatively common because the many different types of armor and weapons and the randomness of attributes would still require people to grind for a decent amount of time to complete their desired set.

grinding for gear>grinding for levels
yeah we need to get some borderlands shit goin u feel

werwew19

Coder
Balance Team
Legacy Supporter 6
I feel like newer players really get discouraged by the way to level currently even with the boosts in its current state. It is only really veterans benefiting from it the most because they know the ins and outs of the maps, where the best dungeons are, where the mob hot spots are etc. and I know new players get discouraged by it. I have invited plenty of friends even with how fast it is to level and quit because who wants to kill mobs forever. No matter how much I tell them how fun the end-game is they don't want to do it.

I know this post is about xp boost problems but I think leveling needs a complete overhaul as well. I don't think boosts are the problem and in fact I think boosts are great. A 310% boost is the only thing getting me to log on the server at the moment if it isn't that high I am not logging on because I already ran out of things to do that give me interest because I cannot get pvp whenever I want currently due to towns making it impossible to kill people in and all that junk.

I think if the dungeons got some work and maybe even get some instanced dungeons in. Where I can grab 5 people and get an entire dungeon to myself after going through a portal would be great. I've seen it done on MC servers before I am not sure if its custom or what I have to do my research in on that but instanced dungeons that are challenging and rewarding would a) Make leveling much more enjoyable b) Make it even easier to import this custom loot system into the game that we have been trying to do for a while now and c) Open up more things to do at max level with very challenging end-game dungeons.

If the server can handle instanced areas I would seriously consider doing it. It would be such an awesome addition to the server and I would be willing to try and set it up if nobody wants to do it.

jan9f

Legacy Supporter 3
Went from level 1 ranger to level 25 pathfinder and used about 1/4 of the 300% boost. Yeah, perhaps it should be toned down a touch.

MajDeath

Portal
If boosts are less effective then people will take longer to level and therefore buy more boosts. ^^

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
I feel like newer players really get discouraged by the way to level currently even with the boosts in its current state. It is only really veterans benefiting from it the most because they know the ins and outs of the maps, where the best dungeons are, where the mob hot spots are etc. and I know new players get discouraged by it. I have invited plenty of friends even with how fast it is to level and quit because who wants to kill mobs forever. No matter how much I tell them how fun the end-game is they don't want to do it.

I know this post is about xp boost problems but I think leveling needs a complete overhaul as well. I don't think boosts are the problem and in fact I think boosts are great. A 310% boost is the only thing getting me to log on the server at the moment if it isn't that high I am not logging on because I already ran out of things to do that give me interest because I cannot get pvp whenever I want currently due to towns making it impossible to kill people in and all that junk.

I think if the dungeons got some work and maybe even get some instanced dungeons in. Where I can grab 5 people and get an entire dungeon to myself after going through a portal would be great. I've seen it done on MC servers before I am not sure if its custom or what I have to do my research in on that but instanced dungeons that are challenging and rewarding would a) Make leveling much more enjoyable b) Make it even easier to import this custom loot system into the game that we have been trying to do for a while now and c) Open up more things to do at max level with very challenging end-game dungeons.

If the server can handle instanced areas I would seriously consider doing it. It would be such an awesome addition to the server and I would be willing to try and set it up if nobody wants to do it.
We can easily handle instanced areas. Even on the same server. Just need to have managing plugin to "close off just that area" for that grp at X time. It's easily doable with logic - just have to put code in.
If boosts are less effective then people will take longer to level and therefore buy more boosts. ^^
Perhaps. We won't be bringing back 1000% boosts ever... they were just too much. Every time they went on sale, we'd make $300-500 though, it was nice on that front.

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
We can easily handle instanced areas. Even on the same server. Just need to have managing plugin to "close off just that area" for that grp at X time. It's easily doable with logic - just have to put code in.

Perhaps. We won't be bringing back 1000% boosts ever... they were just too much. Every time they went on sale, we'd make $300-500 though, it was nice on that front.
:( Goodbye HeroCrack.

Anyways: The problem with leveling isn't so much a grind. Its that the grind isn't fun. Its the same 3000hp zombies/skeletons/spiders over and over. Mythic were nice but the ones we had didn't offer enough variety (Except for that Undead Hero, that was fun). Once Mythics return/Mob Arenas return with their bosses and such, complaints about leveling and needing boosts will go away.

CoolBeans279

Legacy Supporter 3
Not going to read all of this.

But my opinion is, it wouldn't increase map longevity. If there were no boosts id probably max one class then MAYBE one t2 class then i would get bored and not want to switch and sooner or later quit because im bored of that class.

boost give us the option to play any class in a short time, plus they make a shit ton of money.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Not going to read all of this.

But my opinion is, it wouldn't increase map longevity. If there were no boosts id probably max one class then MAYBE one t2 class then i would get bored and not want to switch and sooner or later quit because im bored of that class.

boost give us the option to play any class in a short time, plus they make a shit ton of money.
Thanks for the valid input - I appreciate it

Yavool

Legacy Supporter 9
Hyper-leveling is going to happen regardless of the xp boosts; it happens in all games every known to man and woman. Even in fully-formed MMOs, people can power-level a character in a week (or weekend) to max levels of any game with the right amount of effort one way or another.

Knowing that people are going to be max-leveled in a short period of time can actually be helpful, for it directs the game designer to focus on what is most needed: end content. I will sound like a broken record here, but the chant of "more, more, more" can be heard throughout the community. More is the answer to player (customer) retention and map longevity. More is what will keep people coming back. More is what will encourage store purchases. This a business, and for this business to flourish, this business needs to provide more.

For Herocraft, end content is not about money - anyone who levels a character will have sufficient income to do whatever they want by the end of their first class and profession; and it isn't about building - most towns and cities will have been built within the first six months of the new map.

What it is about is adventure, power, conflict, and community:

Adventure - focus on end-game challenges. Assume that most all people will be a max-leveled class with all the skills available. Utilize what vanilla Minecraft has to offer with regard to end-bosses (nether dragon, elder guardian, wither, strongholds, nether fortresses, the End) and plant those objectives into the game;

Add back in the Mob Bosses akin to how it was at the end of Bastion;

Add more weekend events;

Get the dungeon instances implemented.

Figure out how to get villagers back in the game in a reasonable fashion; figure out how to make horses invulnerable so cavalry can be a part of the game; figure out how to empower each class and profession in a unique manner that really brings home the "fun" of the class by the time a player hits L65.

Power - further create unique ways to get power items, weapons, and armor;

Reset land levels y-30 and below every three months thus allowing more resource accumulation (and then create incentives/turn-ins for those resources);

Create ways to earn the ability to get into "epic" levels of a class either through in-game adventuring, resource turn-ins, or store purchases that give access to levels 65-70 with ridiculously-high xp required to achieve each level and that grant the regular amount of attribute points but give one extra "perk" (to be determined).

Conflict - PVP battle arenas with admin-led *weekly* tournaments;

More PVP objectives (as many as humanly possible);

More having to do with city v. city (kingdom v. kingdom) warfare;

Community - continue to implement the suggestions of the HC community into the game;

Continue to reward the growth of towns as they grow in numbers and power;

Continue to uphold the integrity of Herocraft through effective rule enforcement with regard to exploits, griefing, and quality of communication;

Continue to empower the Herocraft family in all ways possible.

In the end, the large % of xp given during a boost is not the issue. If anything, the store purchases frontload @Kainzo with the ability to utilize that income to add more content, and that is a positive thing. More community polling about what the community really wants to have is in order, and the ability to follow through on what the community is calling out for is essential.

Best of luck and fortune to all; may this map's longevity be as long (or longer) as the last three maps conbined!

-yav

Benji0904

Legacy Supporter 3
People buy boosts because people hate leveling. Why do people hate leveling? It's laggy it's grindy and not fun. I'd say either keep boosts the same or make leveling more unique

EnLight707

Legacy Supporter 2
Not sure if it's a great idea or not, but I suggest PvP kills giving a large amount of exp. This will provide another way to help level besides just the mindless mob grind, and hopefully provoke more PvP

bfittipaldi

Legacy Supporter 7
Tbh I think boosts are great. I hate leveling, like much of the hc community, and really only do it during boosts. Boosts allow me to level faster and get a class I would like to try leveled. Without boosts I would've probably only stayed one class, got bored of the class and then as a result get bored of HC in general. Even as it is, I wasn't planning to ever go a T2 class until the boosts fired off last night. The dungeons help spice up leveling a little but boosts are a huge part of why many of the player on HC don't get tired of playing HC and simply quit.

jan9f

Legacy Supporter 3
I hate leveling as much as most people on here. Even with the boost it got old and boring, very fast. I think to change this up, perhaps a quest system could be implemented, and some more unique dungeons as well. Rather than just a spawner type dungeon, we could have a dungeon with a story line and progressively harder mobs that are unique as to what class they counter, not just making them have more HP. Perhaps these dungeons are very challenging, and they would be easier with a party (if you do a questing type system, you could make scale a bit with the size of a party).

As a new player I have to say I've been finding it hard to find mobs in my level range, so leveling is hard and pvp is impossible being too weak and you get strong pvpers using you as easy exp and items.