• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Why it's time to remove 1v1 Arenas.

Goonswarm

Legacy Supporter 5
For the past week or so, I have been seeing thread after thread pop up about how maps, classes, and items are too strong on the 1v1 arena maps. I personally feel that the design intent based on what Kainzo has stated, does not support 1v1 Arenas.

Let me start with the following.

Kainzo has stated that the class balance and design is not around 1v1 combat. Classes inherently are stronger or weaker vs specific other classes in Herocraft. On top of that it has been mentioned that 1v1 skirmish will be exempt from PvP titles. Kainzo

It is also very difficult to balance a map around all classes and specs, even if you have a flat map without any obstructions, this benefits some classes and hinders others. Map design is crucial, and the current 1v1 maps are very beneficial to some classes while they hurt others drastically.

Next, is the issue of class strength. Some classes are very strong against a variety of opponents, while others are weak against a variety of opponents. Some specs are outright horrible in a 1v1 battle. 1v1 Skirmish in my opinion gives a false sense of class strength as the current top classes, are good in a 1v1 environment due to their design. I have no problem with a class that is good in a 1v1 battle, but Herocraft is designed around 2v2+ battles to my understanding.

Ultimately, the server is about having fun. Discovering what classes work well together, and using teamwork should be what arenas are all about. By increasing the minimum arena size to 2v2, you have a great platform for PvP titles to be rewarded, and you allow many classes that can't compete in a 1v1 fight, to use their strength in 2v2+ arenas. More people participating means more competition, and more competition means better arenas.

1v1 arenas need to be removed, for the reasons mentioned above, among others.

PvP titles need to be rewarded for ratings in the 2v2+ bracket.

If you want to solo PvP, get on some gear, and go roam around the world, or buy some tracks and hunt people down.

If you want to PvP for next to nothing (1 coin), have gear supplied, and earn rewards for winning, lets make it take some teamwork, some neat class combo's, and some maps that are built for the 2v2+ arena scene.

For all you Melee who are sick of 1v1 fighting Casters on the Wool/Ice Map.
For all you healing classes who can't compete in the 1v1 arenas due to class design.
For all you Casters who are sick of fighting Melee on the Boat Map.

I ask you support this suggestion, and comment below with feedback, or anything I may have overlooked.

-Goon

P.S. [Arena Master] [Gladiator] [Competitor] and other pvp titles would help encourage people to get their 2v2, 3v3, and 5v5 on!

Edit: The duel feature is fun and I don't see why it would be removed. Make it cost coin without giving a coin reward for use possibly.

judgedread540

Legacy Supporter 3
Honestly I wish people would skirmish with a higher number of people, 3v3's and 4v4's would be ideal. I enjoyed the 2v2's but some combinations could win way to easilly...

Dsawemd

Legacy Supporter 8
I agree with most all of these points.

1) No more free money from Skirmishes - money will be in Arenas.
2) No more 1v1's (use dueling)
3) More balanced maps

Duel = solo pvp.

The incentive to queue for 1v1 skirmish is Almost gone. All we need to do now is remove all ranking for 1v1 skirmish, and no one will use it except to try out new skills and fit them into rotation as you level, or to talk trash and then see if you can back it up without actually having it affect arena rankings.

As for balanced maps, things like the overall horseshoe shape of the Lava Pillar arena work well, places where depending on your spec, you can easily obtain or overcome the positioning you want. The horseshoe shape prevents over use of range, since the middle wall stops range until one of the players runs past it, and the wide open space is dotted with the right amount of cover.

Edit: I quoted kainzo's post to remind the people currently posting in this thread what has been done.

Goonswarm

Legacy Supporter 5
The incentive to queue for 1v1 skirmish is Almost gone. All we need to do now is remove all ranking for 1v1 skirmish, and no one will use it except to try out new skills and fit them into rotation as you level, or to talk trash and then see if you can back it up without actually having it affect arena rankings.

As for balanced maps, things like the overall horseshoe shape of the Lava Pillar arena work well, places where depending on your spec, you can easily obtain or overcome the positioning you want. The horseshoe shape prevents over use of range, since the middle wall stops range until one of the players runs past it, and the wide open space is dotted with the right amount of cover.
I too feel, that out of all the maps in circulation the one you mention is the best balanced for all classes and teams.

This is very true, 1v1 skirmishes have decreased open world pvp to a point were it is very hard, even frustrating to find. While the arenas are a very cool addition to herocraft, I feel that keeping the 1v1 arenas in would have a negative effect to the server in the long run. Arenas in other games usually have a minimum choice of 2v2, because in a lot of situations, 1v1 arenas are not fair. Classes such as samurai and wizard are better geared towards a 1v1 style of combat due to them having high bursts, while support classes such as bards have much harder time being able to stand up to the compitition. I'm really hoping to see a fix soon in-game.