• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Why I can't bring myself to get back into HC

Aetosion

Obsidian
It's simple really. Grinding.

It's not as if I'm incapable of doing it. I've mastered my fair share of classes since Zeal.

The problem is, HC is supposed to be a game, and yet the 50 or so hours of gameplay spent leveling aren't very fun. Every time I'm getting bored with whatever server I'm playing on, I tend to stop back by HC. Unless I'm already mastered on a class at that time, I tend not to stay. I'm quite sure there are similar players that HC loses for the same reason. Should we suck it up and grind? If it was my place of employment or something, sure, but this is intended to be a game.

What I'd propose, is a revamp of exp and leveling, which I'm sure is something that's been proposed countless times before.

There should be comparable exp gains through PvP combat and task based accomplishments, maybe even throw an MA back into the map. Easier leveling, without making it all too easy, will definitely raise player retention, as well as new player enjoyment.

Discussion?

Dakinara

Legacy Supporter 6
they are working on an adventure map with dungeons and quests i guess, but no idea how far out it is. pvp should also give better leveling rewards as well, i agree. LO is working on an awesome sounding town vs town thing for the olympics - if they could program that to give exp to parties holding the areas could be a sweet way to lvl through pvp.

Basically, i agree with you but improvements are on the way, just no idea how far out T_T

BeasttRecon

Legacy Supporter 4
Anyone remember citadels on RS? Should use them for town development and new methods of getting exp, just a suggestion.

Delfofthebla

Legacy Supporter 4
Retired Staff
I agree completely. Even with our plans of boss mobs and random loot, I really don't think it will be enjoyable to level. It's just entirely too grindy.

The adventure map is where the real promise lies, but we're still a bit of a ways off before we can see that...

Until we get to that point, I really think there should be some comprimises made to make the experience more enjoyable. Whether that means doubling the xp that is given for every mob, or nerfing the living shit out of the nether mobs, I don't really care. But something needs to be changed, and I don't mean making experience boosts cheaper for players to buy...

It's not fun to kill mobs in the normal world.
Pardon my language but it takes forever to get from 1 to 65 and the entire experience is the biggest heaping pile of dogshit it's laughable.
And the nether, which should be the more interesting leveling experience, is a complete waste of time due to the following:
* The only way to get there is via a Necromancer.
** Necromancer's aren't the most enjoyable class atm, so there are very few of them around.
* Nether mobs do entirely too much damage.
* Nether mobs have entirely too much health.
* Nether mobs do not give appropriate experience for the amount of effort required to kill them.

The situation is...less than favorable.

Last edited:

0xNaomi

Legacy Supporter 6
Retired Staff
Now that there are Scribes about there are nether runes, but
* Nether mobs do not give appropriate experience for the amount of effort required to kill them.
is still the case, so not worth it anyway.

Last edited:

Aetosion

Obsidian
Precisely.

The mob difficulty has been modified to an unreasonably high level without a correlative rise in exp. Mobs are now an actual challenge for a low level, instead of other servers where they're a joke. While this is cool and all that, attempting to take on that challenge about 10,000 times loses the fun of it after the first 50 or so.

I'd really love to see a reasonable alternative to the grinding we have now. Whether that's significantly boosting the exp output from PVP, introducing some really basic quest completion for significant exp gain before the adventure map comes out, or even just exponentially boosting mob exp, it'd be pretty cool.

I can guarantee that HC would also retain a much more significant memberbase if these sort of changes were implemented.

I'd also guess that a lot of the reason that the server population has decreased by almost 50% from Dragon to Bastion is because of the removal of mob arenas and the addition of several more levels to mastery. It makes it much harder for players that aren't dedicated grinders to stay and do well on the server. Leveling on HC is not fun, it's a chore. That should change.

Pardon my language but it takes forever to get from 1 to 65 and the entire experience is the biggest heaping pile of dogshit it's laughable.
And the nether, which should be the more interesting leveling experience, is a complete waste of time due to the following:
** Necromancer's aren't the most enjoyable class atm, so there are very few of them around.

Holycrap this. The nether is where the promise lies:FTFY. Now that you say it I could see a ton of awesomeness in the nether. The nether is not the easiest thing to get to. Maybe disable nether runestones to make it even more difficult. Then make leveling in the nether a bunch easier. I suggest nerfing health a ton maybe keeping dmg or nerfing a bit of both of mobs in the nether. Anything that makes leveling in the nether easier There would also be nether battles for control of the XP. The nether is also pretty dangerous by itself so it wouldn't even be super easy.

Last edited:

Jack_Reacher

Legacy Supporter 7
Eh - I've mastered three classes... not as many as some, but I just sucked it up and lvl'd each time. Granted, this could be far more enjoyable. If you've leveled a char in any other MMO I would think you could appreciate the fact that it really doesn't take too long to master a class on HC.

If you're trying to catch 'em all like Delf, then I could see the leveling process being quite boring...

malikdanab

Legacy Supporter 8
While this will be solved with the Adventure Map, a big problem with leveling is the mobs experience/difficulty don't increase. Leveling in HC is effectively grinding Rats/Slimes in a MMO.

Dakinara

Legacy Supporter 6
While this will be solved with the Adventure Map, a big problem with leveling is the mobs experience/difficulty don't increase. Leveling in HC is effectively grinding Rats/Slimes in a MMO.

yeah the random boss plugin is a start, but they dont seem to spawn very frequently in warshard atm. Ran around for over an hour there last night, killed probably 200 or more mobs, never saw a boss. Possible plugin was disabled there too?

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Honestly, you people don't know what pain is... it was 2-3 times longer to level from 1-50 and then you had to go from 1 to 50 again to specialize.

We're working on making things more enjoyable. However, with an RPG server, it shouldnt be about the destination, it should be the journey. Heroes was designed to compliment minecraft, NOT to overtake the game and form it's own game. Are we changing this somewhat? yes. We've made great strides in making Heroes it's own 'thing' for Herocraft rather than just a base compliment. Which is why we have dungeons, adventure maps, bosses, custom loot, attributes, and several other things to aid in this journey.

You should play and enjoy the game but with the heavy aspect of PVP in some areas, it's hard to do that and makes the circle of leveling even more painful.

I appreciate the comments and feedback - but this type of thing will NOT change 'over night'.

----------------------------------
yeah the random boss plugin is a start, but they dont seem to spawn very frequently in warshard atm. Ran around for over an hour there last night, killed probably 200 or more mobs, never saw a boss. Possible plugin was disabled there too?
The change to spawn is very low and we are already working on bringing in a better plugin for bosses.
I 100% agree and I want this fixed. Mobs should vary in difficulty.
I agree completely. Even with our plans of boss mobs and random loot, I really don't think it will be enjoyable to level. It's just entirely too grindy.

The adventure map is where the real promise lies, but we're still a bit of a ways off before we can see that...

Until we get to that point, I really think there should be some comprimises made to make the experience more enjoyable. Whether that means doubling the xp that is given for every mob, or nerfing the living shit out of the nether mobs, I don't really care. But something needs to be changed, and I don't mean making experience boosts cheaper for players to buy...

I agree, we need a nether mob revamp. The mobs were designed to be a "group" area as a quasi-temp fix to "there's nothing to group on!" With the introduction of mob-abilities and so forth, I think we'll be able to normalize the pants off Nether mobs and make it enticing and beneficial to go to.

here should be comparable exp gains through PvP combat and task based accomplishments, maybe even throw an MA back into the map. Easier leveling, without making it all too easy, will definitely raise player retention, as well as new player enjoyment.
We won't be introducing Mob Arenas in the map area of Herocraft. It was fun while it lasted but it only proposed a work around, not a complete resolution.

In summation, we're working on it. Thanks for being patient.

Delfofthebla

Legacy Supporter 4
Retired Staff
Honestly, you people don't know what pain is... it was 2-3 times longer to level from 1-50 and then you had to go from 1 to 50 again to specialize.
I know that you were probably just saying this as a joke, but games shouldn't be painful experiences, which I believe is the point we're trying to make, heh.

Hell, you know just as well as I do that Everquest was one of the biggest grindfests that's ever existed, but somehow it managed to be a really thrilling and enjoyable experience.

It'd be nice if Herocraft leveling could manage to achieve something similar, grind or no grind.

Dakinara

Legacy Supporter 6
Yar, i know the changes will take time, I dont want running this server to be a 24 / 7 second job for all the admins. We just love herocraft and are providing feedback on something that seems to bug a lot of people.

Honestly, i have spent way too many hours playing the diablo series, and if the boss plugin will work to give lots of random effects to mobs in the world, that alone would up the fun for me quite a bit. Just something to keep us on our toes rather than approaching every mob the same (thats not to say stop working on adventure map, it sounds amazing, but from a development time standpoint i would imagine the random mob abilities plug in would be a lot faster to get up and running).