• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Who reallllly enjoys leveling?

pocketemu

TNT
Dungeons are killing this server, leveling sucks, player base is dying...These are the recurring themes and topics we all keep hearing this map. I only got to sit in on the last half of the meeting but this was obviously one of the major subjects discussed.

So who actually likes leveling? If servers that are succeeding have little build up and fun immediate play and nobody actually loves leveling...then why are we tied to the past? Just because many mmorpg's have a tedious grind to max level, doesn't mean it's the right way. We have already established that minecrafts pve is not very exciting so why are we determined to have this grind to max level?

I see a lot of complaints but very little solutions, if we want the issue to be addressed in a way we are happy with, then constructive solutions have to be proposed. Maybe they suck. but maybe there is something worth thinking about in at least one part of the idea.

I propose that legendary classes are done away with, leveling was made quick and easy (a couple of hours), and then the grind was moved to the end game content for gear.
If mmo's and dungeon crawlers have taught us anything it's that players hate leveling, but they don't mind doing the same content as much when they are getting something shiny out of it. it's simple add gear tiers, similar to the apex of time upgraded weapons but with different enchants on them that are more specified to specific play styles.

Example:

iron armor with prot 5 / fire resis 5 / unbreaking 7 and so on (good against fire based classes)
Iron armor with prot 5 / movement speed / unbreaking 7 (good for off tanks and classes with no mobility skills)
Iron armor with prot 5/ fire resist 2/ projective prot 2/ health plus 25 (balanced gear)

These are very rough figures i just threw out there to get the idea across and just one possibility. Another possibility could be that the gear has all the enchants and is just tiered to legendary gear just like the apex of time upgraded weapons. There are several ways this could be done, these are just some of them.

How could tiers work?

Iron armor with prot 1/
Iron armor with prot 1/ fire resist 1/ projective prot 1/ health plus 5
Iron armor with prot 2/ fire resist 2/ projective prot 2/ health plus 10
Iron armor with prot 3/ fire resist 3/ projective prot 3/ health plus 15
Iron armor with prot 4/ fire resist 4/ projective prot 4/ health plus 20
Iron armor with prot 5/ fire resist 5/ projective prot 5/ health plus 25

Now this still doesn't fully address how to level and what you are doing to get the gear but I think it is a more efficient system to build upon. Gear could be obtained through pvp merchants, dungeons, events (possibly the rifts Dewyn has been working on), or maybe even a money shop. It could also be obtainable through all of them, so you can pvp or pve for the gear.

Benefits:

-This would make leveling more bearable as you are being rewarded for your efforts, not just leveling.

-Adds end game content.

-Players will have access to their abilities earlier on and be able to enjoy their class.

-Switching classes will be more forgiving

-Players will be more motivated to try different classes resulting in more active players and feedback on the classes rather than 2-3
people commenting on a class.

-Creates a better economy as players will be selling gear regularly as they loot extras or find better gear which also creates a more active community.

-Leaves room for patches and future content as higher tier gear and unique enchants could be added mid way through the server which keeps players who grind and finis hall the content fast continuing to play.

-Increases raiding (Raiding for gear produces more rewards)

-Increases pvp (looting gear produces more rewards)

-Something new which will draw old and new players in

-Creates a more accessible server for new players to play and have fun with their classes.

Cons and issues this still doesn't fix:

-How to level still needs to be addressed.

-how to get the gear still needs to be addressed.

-Balance issues are bound to occur.

-What enchants do you put on the gear specifically.

-requires a lot of work and testing.

-May drastically increase the value of being a merchant.

Neutral things that may change:

-Creates a gear gap (not much different from the current level gaps we already have however).

-Still overall the same amount of time it takes to level and gear now, but the time leveling is replaced getting gear.

I'm sure I overlooked some stuff, but I just woke up and wrote whatever but here are some ideas.

Last edited:

Dewyn

Retired Staff
I would really prefer a gear system that doesn't just operate on default MC enchantments, but it's not my decision to make.

Using enchantments (and the concept of enchanting) is an extremely limiting system.

STDs4YouAnd4Me

Legacy Supporter 8
I would really prefer a gear system that doesn't just operate on default MC enchantments, but it's not my decision to make.

Using enchantments (and the concept of enchanting) is an extremely limiting system.

Being able to enchant weapons/armor with attributes would be the best solution, but from what I was told that is not possible with the current setup.

Dewyn

Retired Staff
Being able to enchant weapons/armor with attributes would be the best solution, but from what I was told that is not possible with the current setup.

I'll be writing up a gear plugin for Ardor on the test box that will probably slowly expand to include shit like sockets, runes and a custom enchanting system, so if anyone wants to wait around for that, call me in a year.

@Ampayne2 had relics which was supposed to be able to do something similar from what I heard.

STDs4YouAnd4Me

Legacy Supporter 8
I'll be writing up a gear plugin for Ardor on the test box that will probably slowly expand to include shit like sockets, runes and a custom enchanting system, so if anyone wants to wait around for that, call me in a year.

@Ampayne2 had relics which was supposed to be able to do something similar from what I heard.

There are gems right now that you can buy at spawn for +1 attribute that you'd put in a weapon socket, but it literally does nothing.

Pugglez_

Legacy Supporter 3
I don't think dungeons weren't even supposed to be implemented into the main survival world. For a very long time, Kainzo has proposed the idea of an Adventure map where there are dungeons, dungeon progression, bosses, quests, etc.. This idea has been floating around for a very long time now and there were some ideas being thrown around, but no actual creation progress.

It wasn't until the project was finally picked up and lead by some people that it showed some real progress. There was an actual custom terrain map....someone already sketched out a map where all the dungeons will be in different areas of the map (level 10~ in a certain area, level 30 in a certain area, etc...) and much more progress. In fact, I'm pretty sure the mythicmobs we have right now are the mobs we're supposed to use for that adventure map. I'm not sure what happened, but activity for that project basically dwindled down. I believe around the time the project died off was when dungeons were introduced to the main survival map. So I don't think we're even supposed to have dungeons as our main leveling system, and the server only forced the dungeon leveling because it was the remnants of the adventure map and I guess Kainzo thought might as well use it.

pocketemu

TNT

Yeah I mean I would prefer better enchants than the default ones but when i voiced my opinion on adding intellect to weps to balance caster weps currently it didn't seem to be received well so I just assumed it was more of a balance issue that they didn't want to fuck with.

Either way these were just simple examples, not a final product as the end enchants were always going to be up to kainzo and the team so I didn't bother going in depth with them. I would like to see more movement speed, health regen, health, base states, and possible even cool down reduction and cc reduction but as I mentioned earlier these all require a lot of testing and balancing. If this structure was ever implemented it may be best to keep it simple at first on release and then as stated earlier this leaves a lot of room for future patches/expansions that would keep players around and coming back as well as giving the balance team time to work everything out.

pocketemu

TNT
I'd rather level in BDO than in Herocraft

Which brings up a good point. BDO is an extreme of system I am proposing. BDO is so Easy to level and takes a a day or two while getting gear on the other hand takes longer (to long would be the difference). Korean mmorpgs like their grind lol

Last edited:

STDs4YouAnd4Me

Legacy Supporter 8
Which brings up a good point. BDO is an extreme of system I am proposing. BDO is so Easy to level and takes a a day or two while getting gear on the other hand takes longer (to long would be the difference). Korean mmorpgs like their grind lol
But

But??!?!?!?!??!!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!

Jrr_

Architect
Balance Team
Adventure Team
Legacy Supporter 3
NO dungeons are the corner stone of the server!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!