• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion War

w0nd3rb0y

Legacy Supporter 5
It would be cool if you can wage war on other towns and have the ability to have restricted access to each town to enter and kill the residence of the other town. Would have to be accepted by each town and if a town gets frustrated and wants everyone out they surrender.

bfittipaldi

Legacy Supporter 7
Sounds like a cool idea. But maybe if you do go to "war" you cannot open any chests in the towns regions block over them or not, otherwise people might try to abuse the restricted access they get.

kevinlive

Legacy Supporter 2
What about people secretly punching holes in the other town's undercave?
Maybe if the blocks respawned after a few minutes? :p

PCmonkey11

Legacy Supporter 3
Great idea!
I hate it when people just hide in there towns and then /shout annoying things to piss you off.

MajorasMask

Ungodly
Eh, no... :L

People would just use it to open chests, grief, destroy crops, kill farm animals, open holes into the town, ect ect.

I also don't feel that something like this could even be coded. Presuming that it can be, however, who in their right mind would ever want this to happen to their town? Why let the enemy inside? Sure you can go into their town, but the whole ''deal'' is a risky one.

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
Idk I think there are better ways of going about this.

For example Eve Online's war system. Any Corp or Alliance can declare war on anyone else, doing so allows both parties to kill each other in high security space without any consequences, The party that declared was can end it at any point they choose but it takes 24 hours for the war to officially end after they choose to end it (so that if they're getting owned they can't just back out of it and be perfectly safe). If the group that's being attacked wants to surrender a surrender agreement needs to be made between them and their aggressors. Wars cost the aggressor an initial fee + a weekly cost to keep the declaration active (this is reasonably expensive).

So a rough translation of this system into Herocraft would be something like this (Please not all numbers are a rough guess and can be tweaked).
  • Anyone can declare war at any time
    • Upon declaring war there is a grace period before the war begins (24/48 hours?)
  • Wars would have a large initial cost (5k maybe?) paid by the aggressors
    • The aggressors would then be to charge additional coin over X period of time to continue
      • This cost can be voided by both parties accepting the war
  • Wars can be ended by
    • The aggressors ceasing payment for the war
    • The Defending force organising a truce with the attackers
      • Upon successful truce neither party can declare war on the other for X time
  • While war is active players can break blocks within each other's regions
    • Looting from chests will not be allowed during times of war
      • Rulings would be created to stop players leading 3rd party players into a town to loot

Obviously this is a rough design and shouldn't be taken to the letter but as a general concept what do you guys think?

EDIT: Modified post to add changes and clean up the post

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
I also don't feel that something like this could even be coded.
From a coding perspective the origional idea is entirely possible.

People would just use it to open chests, grief, destroy crops, kill farm animals, open holes into the town, ect ect.
As for these issues on my war design standard griefing rules in the wild apply.

MajorasMask

Ungodly
Hmm. It all seems a bit too much to be honest. I don't see why we need an organised war system. What would happen to the towns that don't want to participate in a war?

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
Hmm. It all seems a bit too much to be honest. I don't see why we need an organised war system. What would happen to the towns that don't want to participate in a war?
A similar thing to what will happen once we get TNT regeneration working properly.

MajorasMask

Ungodly
A similar thing to what will happen once we get TNT regeneration working properly.

I know many towns have water walls to protect themselves against TNT.

I'm not liking the idea that any town can be entered by raiders/evil towns/whoever, given that all they need to do is declare war on it. If a town doesn't want to participate in a war, then they won't agree to participate. At the moment, it seems that only one town has to declare war on another in order to gain region access.

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
I know many towns have water walls to protect themselves against TNT.

I'm not liking the idea that any town can be entered by raiders/evil towns/whoever, given that all they need to do is declare war on it. If a town doesn't want to participate in a war, then they won't agree to participate. At the moment, it seems that only one town has to declare war on another in order to gain region access.
Of which they will have to spend a large amount money in order to have a high chance of getting nothing out of it other than a few kills.

Also I have seen 0 towns that cannot be broken into with TNT

MajorasMask

Ungodly
Of which they will have to spend a large amount money in order to have a high chance of getting nothing out of it other than a few kills.

So you only need one town to declare war on another? I don't like how you have to be forced into PvP. Under this system, there would be nowhere to hide inside a town, which is ment to be a safe area for those who own it/live in it. It feels like it defeats the purpose of a town.

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
So you only need one town to declare war on another? I don't like how you have to be forced into PvP. Under this system, there would be nowhere to hide inside a town, which is ment to be a safe area for those who own it/live in it. It feels like it defeats the purpose of a town.
Like I said it's an idea nothing more. You're making out like there is no disadvantage to the people choosing to declare. I want to make it so the costs mean people cannot keep it up for long and to make them think twice before spending the initial costs. (Reminding you once again the numbers in my post are a rough guess)

Maybe add in an additional option to allow the defending side to accept the war proposal to void costs to either side. In which case both parties would need to accept a truce in order to end the war.

MajorasMask

Ungodly
Like I said it's an idea nothing more. You're making out like there is no disadvantage to the people choosing to declare. I want to make it so the costs mean people cannot keep it up for long and to make them think twice before spending the initial costs. (Reminding you once again the numbers in my post are a rough guess

Something more than 2,000c would be great, maybe around 10,000c? Most towns have a huge amount of money available and, as there isn't much use for money at this moment in time, I doubt they would think twice about spending it on such a thing.

Maybe add in an additional option to allow the defending side to accept the war proposal to void costs to either side. In which case both parties would need to accept a truce in order to end the war.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. I thought it was only the aggressive party that had to pay for the war (unless both parties agree to it, in which case they both have to pay). Would this make towns, who don't want to participate, have to pay for the war too? Even if they didn't agree to it?

leftovers5

Legacy Supporter 8
Dear god no. Some towns are already in a "war" mode, I don't see any point in adding this to the game. This would lead to messy and ugly situations.

macura

Diamond
This would be awesome if you could do it for a certain period of time, because you don't want people getting into your town at 2 inthe morning when no one is on.

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
I'm not sure what you mean by this. I thought it was only the aggressive party that had to pay for the war (unless both parties agree to it, in which case they both have to pay). Would this make towns, who don't want to participate, have to pay for the war too? Even if they didn't agree to it?
No only the aggressor will ever pay to fund the war. However there is the option that a war could be accepted by both sides meaning that neither side has to pay for anything for the war to continue.

Something more than 2,000c would be great, maybe around 10,000c? Most towns have a huge amount of money available and, as there isn't much use for money at this moment in time, I doubt they would think twice about spending it on such a thing.
I suppose that 2k is a bit low but like I said the numbers are rough guesses. All the numbers and values in my suggestion are not set in stone and I'm more than up for changing them. So ignore the values being wrong for the moment and focus on the idea as a whole and ways we could flesh out the general idea a bit more to make it work better.

This would be awesome if you could do it for a certain period of time, because you don't want people getting into your town at 2 inthe morning when no one is on.
Why would that matter? In both proposed systems you're not allowed to loot a town.

Dear god no. Some towns are already in a "war" mode, I don't see any point in adding this to the game. This would lead to messy and ugly situations.
While yes it has the potential to get messy but it also adds new dynamics to the game and allows for new and interesting situations. I feel that if we worked on this idea a bit and flesh out mechanics and rules about it we could build this into an interesting new system for the server.

On a side note. Sorry w0nd3rb0y I've kinda hijacked your thread somewhat :p

Favith

Legacy Supporter 7
At this point in the life of HC it just seems like the pvpers are getting everything handed to them on a silver platter.

Arenas are a big deal--loads of time spent on this for a small percentage of folks to actually use it (I'm guessing--it would be interesting if the admin team would share actual numbers of people who use the arenas and what percentage of the server they represent).

PVP tournies/events are happening with some frequency. When was the last DoD?

And now we have an admin (and others) saying that we need a war system to allow for "new and interesting situations". Of course, those "new and interesting" situations are pvp related. And this time they're heading in the direction of non consensual pvp related. Which, on the server as a whole is fine but towns are really the LAST thing that builders/creators have. Towns are the only safe haven left. Working on your town and trying to improve/expand it is really the only non-pvp centric thing to do anymore on HC (other than kill mobs to level grind). We're planning to take that away too? Like MajorasMask said, why even bother with towns then?

This "Hardcore" server is feeling more and more like a "PVP" server every week.

MultiHeartGold

Legacy Supporter 2
Favith If you want non-PVP features, suggest them. Also, if War is kept so both towns need to agree on it, people who prefer building can keep their town out of wars.