• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

How To Use an Xbox 360 controller with Minecraft

Roadkill909

ICE ICE ICE!
Typically when I mention to others that I use the Xbox360 controller to play Minecraft on the PC, the response I get is some mix of curiosity, confusion, and awe. Apparently not many use controllers for minecraft, and this may be due to not knowing where to start. I have always been a console gamer so for me the controller is a lot more comfortable and familair than a keyboard and mouse. I'd also like to note that using a game controller is not an advantage, it's more like a tradeoff. Mouses are faster and more accurate, and keyboards have more inputs for controls and you can't chat with an xbox controller.

I thought I'd share a short guide, since it is actually pretty easy, just requires time to set up, and can be free. Note that while I talk about the xbox360 controller, the software mentioned might work with any game controller such as the PS3, PS2, wii, flight sticks, etc.

Wireless Xbox360
You can use a wired or wireless controller. With the wireless option you could play from the couch, but it is more expensive because you'll need batteries and a special usb receiver like this one:
PC-Wireless-Controller-Gaming-Receiver-for-Xbox-360.JPG

Software
I know of two programs that will allow you to use a game controller with Minecraft. Note that they do not directly interact with Minecraft, and are not designed with Minecraft in mind. They are simply drivers that make take inputs from a game device and convert them into key presses or mouse movement. With that in mind, you have have to configure your controller to press certain keys then in minecraft map those keys to certain controls or binds. For keybinds you will also need a legal keybind mod.

joytokey.png

JoyToKey
The image above shows the joytokey interface. This software is free and can do all the basics. It can take a while to figure out how to use, but you can look up guides on which buttons map to your device. I used this for about a year before I got the option below.

pinnacle.png

Pinnacle Game Profiler
I currently use this option. It's not free ($25), but well worth it. In addition to being able to map any key, you can also set up double-taps, press-and-hold, cycle keys, and even control rumble. The interface is much easier to work with as it shows you what button you are modifying.

My setup
If you are curious about my controls, I've provided my set up below. Note that the image below is modified, but Pinnacle will show a similar screen. I've replaced key mappings like asdf with the skill names these keys are binded to. As said above, if you want buttons to perform skills, you will need a legal keybind mod.
Ranger_Controls.png

Note: That "Select Axe" and "Select Bow" controls simply press the keys 3 and 7 which move the hot bar cursor to those positions. These positions are usually where my bow and axe are.

Roadkill909

ICE ICE ICE!
I'd also like to note I just noticed that there was a Holiday Sale for the Pinnacle software that ends today (January 5th). You can get it for $15 instead of $25 which is a pretty great deal!