• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

US Bill S.978

Dielan9999

Legacy Supporter 5
I'm forwarding this to the people of herocraft from the Word Of Notch (notch.tumblr.com)

Here's an informative video of the issue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib7-vSrp6y8

Here's a wall of text about the issue:

I just read on the internets that there's a bill floating around in congress that aims to protect entertainment industries by punishing people with felonies when they upload copywritten content.
This is good in all for movies and music, but now you can't make any more AMVs, or record yourself playing a videogame. Weather it be for a review, a "Let's Play" video, a list video "top five X of Y!" Or else you will be given a big fine, a felony, and/or be sent to jail for any number of years. You will also have to take down all current copywritten content. This also includes my prestigious performance of the Fresh Prince of Bel Air theme I sang karyoki at my high school prom, no more videos like that on youtube, or else Ironee212 (who uploaded it for me) would goto jail unless she took it down after said bill was passed.

No more montages of your pictures with background music, unless you made the music yourself. No more vids of trolls on COD using the grenade launcher to piss off elitist pricks. No more Minecraft top 5 vids. No more videos of @Brutalacerate catching hackers in the act to further prove guilt. Nothing.

If you disagree with this bill; go here: http://act.demandprogress.org/letter/ten_strikes?akid=700.450896.5hVZPC&rd=1&t=1

Here's a TL;DR Section:

-Put vid of karioki? GO TO JAIL
-Vid of Brutal banning people with his mighty hammer? BRUTAL GOES TO JAIL
-Upload any video with footage of minecraft being played? GO TO JAIL
-Put a copywritten song in the background of a video? GO TO JAIL

There's alot of good that will come of this bill, the music and film industry especially as detailed in the video above. However it's not written well enough to protect videogame vids on youtube, which serves as a great free publicity. I encourage you to stand with me against this bill; and goto this website to do it :) http://act.demandprogress.org/letter/ten_strikes?akid=700.450896.5hVZPC&rd=1&t=1

Brutalacerate

AdministRaper
Yah; this Bill information has already been posted, but not with the Mojang information; great read.

And yep, you're exactly right as far as the examples of what could land you in jail, fined, etc.

...The broken logic in that "Copying is not Theft" video kind of disgusts me...

I wish I could copy my bike just like that. I'd buy a new bike, copy it, and delete the older copy each week.

Brutalacerate

AdministRaper
...The broken logic in that "Copying is not Theft" video kind of disgusts me...

I wish I could copy my bike just like that. I'd buy a new bike, copy it, and delete the older copy each week.
I'm pretty sure they're not saying that we can copy our bicycles. They're referring to downloading music, movies, etc that we don't own an original copy of; of course you knew that, though. If that disgusted you, I can only imagine how FUN you are to be around.

Did........anyone besides me understand the video/s I posted? I hope so. Haha.

Of course they're not saying we can/it should be legal to copy bicycles. Or noses. Yet if "real" thieves would only make exact copies of everything they stole from me, I'd be fine with it. Heck, I'd even invite some of my friends over. "You like my plasma TV? Go ahead, take a copy of it."

In short, I'm disgusted because they compared physical goods to digital goods. Apples and Oranges; they can't be compared. The broken logic "If you could copy a bicycle and took the copy, that wouldn't be stealing, right? Duh! Therefore, copying digital stuff is the exact same!"

I don't know exactly how strict copyright laws should be. I've got some music CD's bouncing around inside my iPod which I've never bought. And of course the "Let's Play" videos aren't copies because 1) I can't play them and 2) The Youtubers use the game as a medium for their own talents and entertaining ability.

I'm of the old-fashioned opinion that if I copy my friend's music CD, I am stealing twenty some-odd bucks from the producer of that CD. If I want to enjoy their music, I owe that money to the artists. Yet I could watch the same music on Youtube all day. Is that stealing? Like I said, I don't know how strict the laws should be. I know there's a lot of grey area. I just think that people who think that copying isn't stealing are deluded.

Did........anyone besides me understand the video/s I posted? I hope so. Haha.
Uhh... Limewire = free music and people who use it are okay with the label "pirate"?
And if you copy something, you both get the good, therefore it's not stealing.

I didn't misunderstand your videos, you misunderstood my comment. Yet again.

Brutalacerate

AdministRaper
You're obviously STILL not understanding; they're not comparing digital goods to physical. It's a question of copyright; the video was made for that exact reason. The physical goods are there as a physical demonstration as to what copying looks like before and after. Haha.

And as far as "stealing" from musicians etc; most are not. Why? Put it this way, most of the music/movies I have downloaded are music/movies I was never going to buy anyway; that's why I downloaded them. A lot of musicians nowadays bitch about "going broke" because of people downloading their music. That's a load of bullshit. A lot musicians out there wouldn't even have gotten the exposure they did if it weren't for us downloading their music.

In the end, I wasn't going to purchase the movies/music anyway; that's why I downloaded it, not because I can't afford it. :p

And no, I didn't misunderstand your comment "yet again." I understood perfectly fine.

Dazureus

Legacy Supporter 4
On the other hand, exposure doesn't pay the bills, and if what the artist is producing has a big budget and everybody ends up downloading it without paying, they've just lost money. If they're losing money consistently, chances are they'll merely stop making songs or whatever else. Now, I don't know whether I'm against this bill or not yet, but I think that people should be able to make a living singing songs if they want to, and I think that something has to happen to account for internet piracy. Exactly what should happen? Dunno. Valve and Mojang, for example, seem to be doing something right but it's hard to restrict features for unregistered copies if it's not an interactive work.

elroy72

TNT
Most people I know download everything and buy what they like. I do the same. It's like a restriction free trial, also with DRM and such actually owning a legit copy is much less convenient than owning a pirated copy. In my mind there is something wrong with that. What does urk me is people that profit off of downloaded movies and such. There was a guy at my work that was selling pirated movies for $10 each. What did I do? Started bringing the same movies he was selling and giving them for free.