• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Ultimate Balance for Better Team Fights Awesome Thread

Dakinara

Legacy Supporter 6
I feel like a few minor changes to existing hero skill numbers could greatly increase the fun of team fights, with better balance and team diversity. Here are changes i suggest, with an overlapping role discussion specific to each archetype (support, mage, rogue, warrior)

1) Support. Straight to the point, all group heals need a big nerf. Lets look at a typical single target heal vs group heal to see differences in mana / cooldown etc.

Cleric - 33 wisdom

Single Target Heal - Sacred Touch - 330.25 healing, 140 mana, 16s cooldown

DivineBlessing - 227.25 healing, 240 mana, 15s cooldown

So, right off the back, if we are only healing one person, sacred touch is a better choice. Healing two people, it is close to break even - divine blessing heals more and faster, but at a little less mana efficiency. Three targets - not even close, divine blessing is better in speed, amount of healing, and efficiency. But group sizes go up to 10... at that point group healing just becomes insane to the point where stacking 4+ healers is a good strategy. This is apparent in the current status of 10 man fights, where frequently no one will die... ever.

So i recommend significantly increasing the mana cost of group heals (~double mana cost), while greatly reducing the cooldown of single target heals. In addition, we will need to either increase the self heal penalty, or separate single target heals into self only and ally only to prevent healers from becoming even more tanky in small fights. I would prefer separating them but either way could work. Here is an example of what i think would be reasonable under new system

Cleric - 33 wisdom

Self heal - sacredword - self cast only, 200 healing, 150 mana, 5s cooldown. No self heal penalty. This would be the only single target heal you could use on self - could also heal self with group heals in emergency situation.

Ally heal - sacredtouch - 330.25 healing, 140 mana, 3s cooldown. Ally only, cannot cast on self

Divineblessing - 227.25 healing, 450 mana, 10s cooldown. Lower cooldown, but much higher mana cost. Still more mana efficient than single target heals if healing for full ammount on 5+ targets, but not something you would ever use when only one or two people need healing, which is the idea.

Use single target heals when few people need healing, group heals when everyone needs it or in emergency for self healing but with heavy mana cost so fights dont go on forever. Also reduces the value of stacking healers, because if lots of people are taking damage, healers are likely to all shoot off group heals which simply arent going to be sustainable for long and the other group with more damage and 2-3 dedicated healers will ultimately overcome them.

2) Rogue / light armor melee. These classes (ninja, ranger, runeblade, pyromancer) currently have little to no place in team fights. They are squishy and do not have substantially higher damage than warriors in most team fight situations, and therefore are basically always replaced by warriors. So i think each of these classes should specifically get an "anti-kite" skill that inflicts a short duration heavy slowness on a target but only has an effect when striking a target in the back. These could be melee strikes, or ranged projectile toss (like icebolt), but the key is they would only work when hitting a target in the back (so for example, ranger could not kite someone better, only chase someone down better). I think this will help cement a role for these classes in team fights, as kiting has always been somewhat insane due to minecraft mechanics, and it fits well with the light armor melees generally being considered anti caster / healer.

3) Warriors - Generally, most of these are in pretty good shape but i think all warriors should have some form of single target taunt / provoke with a short cooldown in order to protect squishier targets in the group. Paladin should have the only aoe taunt as it is generally the most defensive tank, but i think every warrior needs some kind of provoke / taunt skill to help protect healers / mages given the proposed healing change above.

4) Mages - i actually think mages would be in a pretty good spot if group healing was nerfed. They would be the main source of aoe damage, which would be much more valuable when you knew it wouldnt just be insta healed off by endless group healing. Possible could use slightly more crowd control in some places depending on the exact implementation of light melee anti kiting.

5) Bard - ultimately, for mana to matter in fights, mana song has to be nerfed. Mana song should have its mana return value cut in half to basically match beguilers mana regen. To compensate, bard obviously would need mana cost of all abilities reduced, and also either have increased melee damage, new single target damage song or a short duration mezmerize type ability - any of those could be cool to keep bard valued in groups and small fights alike. Even with reduced mana regen return, i think both bard and beguiler would be much more valued if group healing wasnt so mana efficient.

Pretty much all of these changes could be implemented with just tweaks to the numbers on existing hero skills. Would make for better fights IMO.

Ice_Burner

Legacy Supporter 1
Paladin has a single target "taunt" just so you know. It's called Intervene.

As for the suggested changes, I feel it would get rid of the meta of stacking healers and such, or it could increase it even more. I mean, if the changes were implemented, there's no stopping a group going into a 10v10 with 5 Clerics, 2 Beguilers, 2 Bards, and a DPS class, rolling buffs, healing out the ass. Sure, it costs more mana to use DivineBlessing but Clarity+ManaSong counters it. Your squishy DPS class is about to die? No worries, we have 5 FullHeals out the ready, and more mana buffs to keep us going. See what I mean?

Personally I think Cleric's FullHeal should be put on a 7 minute cooldown, with a 45% mana cost. Nerf DivineBlessing's Healing ability but keep cooldown+manacosts the same.

I think Rogues shouldn't have viability in team fights, they're made for small man raid groups, around 3-4 against 2-3 people who are usually jumped.

As well as Casters, I have to agree with the most part.

I don't agree with the Bard section, as if focused right off the bat the Bard can be nuked and not provide buffs. If it was completely useless in team fights AND squishy, Bard wouldn't be viable. Yes, we could give it more damage, but the opponents would just outheal it.

Dakinara

Legacy Supporter 6
Paladin has a single target "taunt" just so you know. It's called Intervene.

As for the suggested changes, I feel it would get rid of the meta of stacking healers and such, or it could increase it even more. I mean, if the changes were implemented, there's no stopping a group going into a 10v10 with 5 Clerics, 2 Beguilers, 2 Bards, and a DPS class, rolling buffs, healing out the ass. Sure, it costs more mana to use DivineBlessing but Clarity+ManaSong counters it. Your squishy DPS class is about to die? No worries, we have 5 FullHeals out the ready, and more mana buffs to keep us going. See what I mean?

Personally I think Cleric's FullHeal should be put on a 7 minute cooldown, with a 45% mana cost. Nerf DivineBlessing's Healing ability but keep cooldown+manacosts the same.

I think Rogues shouldn't have viability in team fights, they're made for small man raid groups, around 3-4 against 2-3 people who are usually jumped.

As well as Casters, I have to agree with the most part.

I don't agree with the Bard section, as if focused right off the bat the Bard can be nuked and not provide buffs. If it was completely useless in team fights AND squishy, Bard wouldn't be viable. Yes, we could give it more damage, but the opponents would just outheal it.

I would have bard and beguiler mana return be the exact same skill, and therefore no longer stackable. Ultimately, no matter how many healers you stack, you will run out of mana with these changes, and if you stack all healers, you wont do enough damage to threaten the group with only 2-3 healers. Thats the idea anyways.

MunchlaxHero

Max Legacy Supporter
I feel like a few minor changes to existing hero skill numbers could greatly increase the fun of team fights, with better balance and team diversity. Here are changes i suggest, with an overlapping role discussion specific to each archetype (support, mage, rogue, warrior)

1) Support. Straight to the point, all group heals need a big nerf. Lets look at a typical single target heal vs group heal to see differences in mana / cooldown etc.

Cleric - 33 wisdom

Single Target Heal - Sacred Touch - 330.25 healing, 140 mana, 16s cooldown

DivineBlessing - 227.25 healing, 240 mana, 15s cooldown

So, right off the back, if we are only healing one person, sacred touch is a better choice. Healing two people, it is close to break even - divine blessing heals more and faster, but at a little less mana efficiency. Three targets - not even close, divine blessing is better in speed, amount of healing, and efficiency. But group sizes go up to 10... at that point group healing just becomes insane to the point where stacking 4+ healers is a good strategy. This is apparent in the current status of 10 man fights, where frequently no one will die... ever.

So i recommend significantly increasing the mana cost of group heals (~double mana cost), while greatly reducing the cooldown of single target heals. In addition, we will need to either increase the self heal penalty, or separate single target heals into self only and ally only to prevent healers from becoming even more tanky in small fights. I would prefer separating them but either way could work. Here is an example of what i think would be reasonable under new system

Cleric - 33 wisdom

Self heal - sacredword - self cast only, 200 healing, 150 mana, 5s cooldown. No self heal penalty. This would be the only single target heal you could use on self - could also heal self with group heals in emergency situation.

Ally heal - sacredtouch - 330.25 healing, 140 mana, 3s cooldown. Ally only, cannot cast on self

Divineblessing - 227.25 healing, 450 mana, 10s cooldown. Lower cooldown, but much higher mana cost. Still more mana efficient than single target heals if healing for full ammount on 5+ targets, but not something you would ever use when only one or two people need healing, which is the idea.

Use single target heals when few people need healing, group heals when everyone needs it or in emergency for self healing but with heavy mana cost so fights dont go on forever. Also reduces the value of stacking healers, because if lots of people are taking damage, healers are likely to all shoot off group heals which simply arent going to be sustainable for long and the other group with more damage and 2-3 dedicated healers will ultimately overcome them.

2) Rogue / light armor melee. These classes (ninja, ranger, runeblade, pyromancer) currently have little to no place in team fights. They are squishy and do not have substantially higher damage than warriors in most team fight situations, and therefore are basically always replaced by warriors. So i think each of these classes should specifically get an "anti-kite" skill that inflicts a short duration heavy slowness on a target but only has an effect when striking a target in the back. These could be melee strikes, or ranged projectile toss (like icebolt), but the key is they would only work when hitting a target in the back (so for example, ranger could not kite someone better, only chase someone down better). I think this will help cement a role for these classes in team fights, as kiting has always been somewhat insane due to minecraft mechanics, and it fits well with the light armor melees generally being considered anti caster / healer.

3) Warriors - Generally, most of these are in pretty good shape but i think all warriors should have some form of single target taunt / provoke with a short cooldown in order to protect squishier targets in the group. Paladin should have the only aoe taunt as it is generally the most defensive tank, but i think every warrior needs some kind of provoke / taunt skill to help protect healers / mages given the proposed healing change above.

4) Mages - i actually think mages would be in a pretty good spot if group healing was nerfed. They would be the main source of aoe damage, which would be much more valuable when you knew it wouldnt just be insta healed off by endless group healing. Possible could use slightly more crowd control in some places depending on the exact implementation of light melee anti kiting.

5) Bard - ultimately, for mana to matter in fights, mana song has to be nerfed. Mana song should have its mana return value cut in half to basically match beguilers mana regen. To compensate, bard obviously would need mana cost of all abilities reduced, and also either have increased melee damage, new single target damage song or a short duration mezmerize type ability - any of those could be cool to keep bard valued in groups and small fights alike. Even with reduced mana regen return, i think both bard and beguiler would be much more valued if group healing wasnt so mana efficient.

Pretty much all of these changes could be implemented with just tweaks to the numbers on existing hero skills. Would make for better fights IMO.
For the group heals we should have one groupheal for 2 people costs a little, one group heal for 4 people costs a decent amount one group heal for 10 people costs a lot. The more people you heal the more mana it costs.

Dakinara

Legacy Supporter 6
For the group heals we should have one groupheal for 2 people costs a little, one group heal for 4 people costs a decent amount one group heal for 10 people costs a lot. The more people you heal the more mana it costs.

is such a thing even possibleeeeeee??!?!!

Not sure if we have people around able to program that. But we do have the ability to change numbers in the configs, for sure.

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
1 Low hp Med CD low Cost Self cast Heal (Gained at low level, No Self Heal Penalty)
1 Med HP Med CD Med Cost Self Cast Heal (High Level, No Self Heal Penalty)
Filler Skills (Utility, CC, ehatever else belongs to the class)
3 Group Heals (Any combo of AoE, Ally Cast, HoT or anything)
Ally Cast Cant be placed on self
AoE & HoT suffer from Self heal penalty and have higher costs and CD's with a med-med high healing. Will encourage them not to be used for self healing.

Healer stacking is literally the best way to win a fight. You can keep everyone at max hp for so long if you a few good healers. And if the opponents don't they get screwed over.

For Bard, as it stands nerfing manasong would make bard not wanted. Mana, War, and Accelerando are bard's main skills. Nerfing manasong now would just hurt it. If Battlesong is changed and it's stam problems go away, then I could see a manasong change being ok.

I'd rather see Clarity and Manasong not be stackable.