• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Towns near Herogates

WitchOnaRampage

Legacy Supporter 9
The Herogates aren't claimed as towns, so players can make towns near and even over the top of the Herogates.

May we please have an understanding on what is acceptable please?

These are a few I'm aware of:
  • Gravkoc has claimed OVER THE TOP of the 2nd HG from the left, north continent. It looks like they might also have claimed chunks in a ring about 10 or more chunks out from the herogate claimed area. The big picture needs to be seen here.
  • Valcral has an Outpost of 4x4 chunks next to a HG at 1360, -3370. Their region starts 10 blocks from the HG steps, right at the edge of the HG no-build zone. It's been the subject of at least 2 petitions. I looked at one of them and said I thought it was ok and told 0xNaomi this - although I wasn't aware their claim was over unbuilt land too, my error. @Neotetro has looked at the more recent petition (2056) and thinks it isn't ok. If they are required to move, I'd like to see their rather sweet airship world-edited to a new position.
  • Ravenhold has a town starting 30 blocks from the steps (middle HG, south continent).
  • Legacy is 50 blocks from the steps (right HG, south continent).
  • And that's as far as I've gotten.
We need rulings on
  1. how close towns can be - I'd be suggesting at least one full chunk from the edge of the steps
  2. and also on allowing free passage out of the HG, if this is considered desirable.
@Kainzo @Admins @Moderators

MunchlaxHero

Max Legacy Supporter
The Herogates aren't claimed as towns, so players can make towns near and even over the top of the Herogates.

• Gravkoc has claimed OVER THE TOP of the 2nd HG from the left, north continent. It looks like they might also have claimed chunks in a ring about 10 or more chunks out from the herogate claimed area. The big picture needs to be seen here.
  • Valcral has an Outpost of 4x4 chunks next to a HG at 1360, -3370. Their region starts 10 blocks from the HG steps, right at the edge of the HG no-build zone. It's been the subject of at least 2 petitions. I looked at one of them and said I thought it was ok and told 0xNaomi this - although I wasn't aware their claim was over unbuilt land too, my error. @Neotetro has looked at the more recent petition (2056) and thinks it isn't ok. If they are required to move, I'd like to see their rather sweet airship world-edited to a new position.
  • Ravenhold has a town starting 30 blocks from the steps (middle HG, south continent).
We need rulings on
  1. how close towns can be - I'd be suggesting at least one full chunk from the edge of the steps
  2. and also on allowing free passage out of the HG, if this is considered desirable.
I am confused why this is a problem, as long as there is free passage to the herogates Admins have not cared about it.

Dwarfers

Legacy Supporter 6
I personally don't like towns next to herogates and would prefer more foot travel by players. When I started playing not a single town wanted to be by a herogate. The outpost for valcral had nothing to do with me or the town really, Naomi just wanted a little base we can use maybe lol and then soren started to dig a giant pit for some reason that is beyond me. Having a town nextbto a herogate has no fun compared to having it far away. My town for example is 1000 blocks away from the nearest herogate. Munch you claim PvP is dead, maybe if you lived in a town that wasn't next to a herogate people would attempt to fight. Just a theory. I will however suggest spires be back for those further corner spots of the map for more skill port uses and less reliability on herogates.

0xNaomi

Legacy Supporter 6
Retired Staff
The outpost for valcral had nothing to do with me or the town really, Naomi just wanted a little base we can use maybe lol and then soren started to dig a giant pit for some reason that is beyond me.
Can confirm, I wanted an outpost and soren wanted to do stuff. Since town tax is member-based now we paid for it ourselves and just did stuff.

TimForReal

AdminForReal
Rules Council
Architect
Herald
Event Team
Max Legacy Supporter

We need rulings on

I still need to claim herogates/gys.

Yavool

Legacy Supporter 9
As long as there is free access to the Herogate, I don't see an issue with the town being close to it, as that is likely the reason the town was built there in the first place (ease of access to a HG). I would argue that making the chunk that the HC is built in unbuildable is needed (there is already some amount of protection/unbreakable blocks around each HG, expanding this to 16 blocks in all direction would be fine), and the following rule be added to the "Rules: Gameplay" portion of the rules:

Town Specific Rules/Personal Regions/Noble & Royal Plots:
Towns may not "claim" a Herogate. If a town claims the chunk that a Herogate resides in, it must provide full and easy access for non-town members to travel to the Herogate by.

A few patches ago, the HGs switched to require a warmup to get through, akin to a vanilla Minecraft nether gate. This was reverted recently to an instant teleport to the Hub, which is desired and needs to stay in place so as to not have people traveling through HGs get PVP tagged while waiting for the HG to "warm up."

-yav

WitchOnaRampage

Legacy Supporter 9
Oh this is somewhat hilarious. I posted this in Lore instead of Core (ie Staff eyes only). :oops: I guess I could act all cool and pretend that's what I meant to do. :D

Still great to get it out there!

ThatAintFalco

Portal
I personally don't like towns next to herogates and would prefer more foot travel by players. When I started playing not a single town wanted to be by a herogate. The outpost for valcral had nothing to do with me or the town really, Naomi just wanted a little base we can use maybe lol and then soren started to dig a giant pit for some reason that is beyond me. Having a town nextbto a herogate has no fun compared to having it far away. My town for example is 1000 blocks away from the nearest herogate. Munch you claim PvP is dead, maybe if you lived in a town that wasn't next to a herogate people would attempt to fight. Just a theory. I will however suggest spires be back for those further corner spots of the map for more skill port uses and less reliability on herogates.

How about you fix having part of ur town being claimed in a gy?

Dwarfers

Legacy Supporter 6
How about you fix having part of ur town being claimed in a gy?
That isn't something I can fix unless I want to remove everything I plan to build or the graveyard is moved to be in an actual chunk rather than 5-6 different chunks on the edges. I have only the edges claimed and plan on building around it to make the graveyard look nice around and will not be blocking people from getting to places nor do I plan on killing people that spawn there unless they are hostile.

werwew19

Coder
Balance Team
Legacy Supporter 6
I think a lot of town rules should be enforced/created but they aren't. Sure a town can provide easy access to a herogate and they can also line that shit up with engineer traps the second someone they don't like comes around. If a town can have regions within 50 blocks of a herogate that's idiotic

_Trains_

Obsidian
Oh this is somewhat hilarious. I posted this in Lore instead of Core (ie Staff eyes only). :oops: I guess I could act all cool and pretend that's what I meant to do. :D

Still great to get it out there!
This could fit in to some lore if done right.

Witch looked up at the other members present sitting around her. She had invited them to dinner, to talk about a pressing matter.

"We need to do something about those Herogates." Witch stated, breaking the silence. "People are taking advantage of making towns right beside them." She took another bite of her food and looked around her. She could tell they were all confused, as this wasn’t something they didn’t expect what the meeting would be about. Witch walked out of the dining room, and returned with a map, which she then spread out on the table. She pointed to a spot in the northwest.

"The citizen Garvkoc build his town on top of this herogate in the north continent." She then pointed to a quite spot towards the right. "Valcral, made their outpost incredibly close to the no-build zone. We know that this has been a tough spot, since we have received quite a few complaints." The others nodded their heads in agreement. Munchlax left for a moment to get more beer for Yav and himself.

“The towns of Legacy and Ravenhold also have this problem, I’m afraid. Other than these four towns, I haven’t found anything related to this problem. There is one thing for sure, we have to do something about this, because people attempting to use these gates might feel in danger when towns sit dangerously close to their portal.” Witch folded up the map and continued to speak. “I think we need rules. Like…how a free passage will need to come in effect to make sure town citizens aren’t killing those who want to use herogates. We should also include a rule stating that they aren’t allowed to build closer than one chunk from the-”

“I’m confused.” Munchlax interrupted. “Why is this a problem? As long as there is a free passage to the herogates we haven’t really cared about it.” Munchlax then took a pause to down the rest of his beer.

“I’m with Munchlax on this, I dislike towns near herogates.” Dwarfers spoke up.

“Then why did you make an outpost next to a herogate?!” Witch shouted.

“Hey, that wasn’t me. Naomi wanted to make an outpost or something and then Soren dug a giant hole in that area.”

Naomi blushed. “I can confirm that. An outpost seemed like a cool idea to have, and Soren did what Soren does.” Tim finished his chicken and pushed his plate aside.

“I still need to claim herogates.” He then took his plate to the kitchen to be washed, leaving the rest of the comrades at the table. Yav then spoke up.

“I like the one chunk idea. Towns can still be close to a herogate, but not intimidently close. And, to add on to your idea Munchlax, we could have a new rule that declares full passage for non-citizens who want to get through.” Silence continued for ten minutes afterwards, as some continued to finish their meal. Some then followed Tim to the kitchen to put away their plates, and began to pack up. Robes were put on, swords and bows put away, and other potions and gimmicks were picked up by the folk. They then bid their farewells, leaving only some left at the table, eager to continue the conversation.

Last edited:

WitchOnaRampage

Legacy Supporter 9
This could fit in to some lore if done right.

Witch looked up at the other members present sitting around her. She had invited them to dinner, to talk about a pressing matter.

"We need to do something about those Herogates." Witch stated, breaking the silence. "People are taking advantage of making towns right beside them." She took another bite of her food and looked around her. She could tell they were all confused, as this wasn’t something they didn’t expect what the meeting would be about. Witch walked out of the dining room, and returned with a map, which she then spread out on the table. She pointed to a spot in the northwest.

"The citizen Garvkoc build his town on top of this herogate in the north continent." She then pointed to a quite spot towards the right. "Valcral, made their outpost incredibly close to the no-build zone. We know that this has been a tough spot, since we have received quite a few complaints." The others nodded their heads in agreement. Munchlax left for a moment to get more beer for Yav and himself.

“The towns of Legacy and Ravenhold also have this problem, I’m afraid. Other than these four towns, I haven’t found anything related to this problem. There is one thing for sure, we have to do something about this, because people attempting to use these gates might feel in danger when towns sit dangerously close to their portal.” Witch folded up the map and continued to speak. “I think we need rules. Like…how a free passage will need to come in effect to make sure town citizens aren’t killing those who want to use herogates. We should also include a rule stating that they aren’t allowed to build closer than one chunk from the-”

“I’m confused.” Munchlax interrupted. “Why is this a problem? As long as there is a free passage to the herogates we haven’t really cared about it.” Munchlax then took a pause to down the rest of his beer.

“I’m with Munchlax on this, I dislike towns near herogates.” Dwarvers spoke up.

“Then why did you make an outpost next to a herogate?!” Witch shouted.

“Hey, that wasn’t me. Naomi wanted to make an outpost or something and then Soren dug a giant hole in that area.”

Naomi blushed. “I can confirm that. An outpost seemed like a cool idea to have, and Soren did what Soren does.” Tim finished his chicken and pushed his plate aside.

“I still need to claim herogates.” He then took his plate to the kitchen to be washed, leaving the rest of the comrades at the table. Yav then spoke up.

“I like the one chunk idea. Towns can still be close to a herogate, but not intimidently close. And, to add on to your idea Munchlax, we could have a new rule that declares full passage for non-citizens who want to get through.” Silence continued for ten minutes afterwards, as some continued to finish their meal. Some then followed Tim to the kitchen to put away their plates, and began to pack up. Robes were put on, swords and bows put away, and other potions and gimmicks were picked up by the folk. They then bid their farewells, leaving only some left at the table, eager to continue the conversation.
Lore I can understand and find easy to read, yay!

But... what happens next? :eek:

And "intimidently" - a fine creation, potentially a very useful word. Well done.

_Trains_

Obsidian
Lore I can understand and find easy to read, yay!

But... what happens next? :eek:

And "intimidently" - a fine creation, potentially a very useful word. Well done.
Whoops, I guess my genius is showing.

I am actually in the process of writing a book, and have picked up some new vocabulary along the way. It is to make sure the story never gets insipid. :)