• Guest, we are doing a new map (refresh) for Herocraft. Gather your friends and get ready! Coming next Friday, 06/28/24 @ 7PM CT play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Town / Village

spiralz

Obsidian
I don't know much about the plugin involving Towns, but I have a thought I wanted to get out.

The ability for a Town could be divided into two. A Town/City or a Village.

A village would not cost as much to maintain as a town/city and would have certain restrictions to make it more fair. When I've seen a Town/City in Bastion, they were huge fortresses and supported many players. With a Village, it would be a much smaller space of claimable land and could have a small amount of players that could actually be part of it. I imagine a small village with regular houses and a fence wall around it maybe two blocks thick and not extremely high. Something similar to Minecraft's spawned villages in relation to size. The benefit of a village would be that it wouldn't cost as much to live there as it does a very protected town/city, but with the smaller price comes a smaller amount of protection. I'm essentially thinking a "gated community". I'm not sure what the restrictions could be for a village but something along the lines of the protective outside wall can only be so high/thick or taking out some of the advantages that Towns would have. Maybe somehow making it so that a raider cannot simply pillar over the wall, but still have everything inside be vulnerable.

The point of a village would be to give some players (maybe the newer ones/players that don't play as much as others) a sense of security slightly better than a hidden unprotected home underground. It would defend against the threat of mobs as well as some players that don't have the means to get in. It would definitely not be an impenetrable fortress. The small amount of players that are part of that village would have to work together to defend their small village to at least have a chance against higher leveled attackers. I feel that having these villages would add to the RPG gameplay and make the map more fun to explore. I personally think it would be more fun to live in a small gated community than the alternatives. When I was part of a town in Bastion, I felt too safe and comfortable. With Haven, I'm not sure if I will want to join a town, but i'd like to have some sense of security where a home base would be. I know there are some flaws and impossibilities on my suggestion, but it's only a rough idea.

-If this is already a thing and I don't know it, then this thread can be deleted.

WitchOnaRampage

Legacy Supporter 9
Hiya spiralz. I think what you're suggesting comes close to a Hamlet, which is the smallest size town. You can look on the wiki page for creating Townships to get an idea of the sizes and costs of setting up the different sized towns. Many players choose to keep their township to Hamlet size because this meets their needs - maybe it's as much space as they need without the stress of collecting resources to upgrade, maybe they'd rather focus on PvP than building, and so on.

Keep in mind, however, that Townships are currently being reviewed. The shapes may well change, sizes might or might not change. I've heard the item cost for claiming a town will stay the same bu the coin/soul cost might be reviewed. Not too sure on that.

Another alternative for donors - or players associated with a donor - is to set up a Personal Residence which is a much smaller region to which multiple players can be given build access. Info on the sizes of Personal Residences for donors is here.