• Guest, we are doing a new map (refresh) for Herocraft. Gather your friends and get ready! Coming next Friday, 06/28/24 @ 7PM CT play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Tiered skills and class guidelines!

Beau_Nearh

Portal
My idea would be for the whole class system to be revamped and also the skill system to be revamped. (Note; If the skill tree is implemented you can skip to the bit about the skills rather than the classes). Yes this will be a horrible task but I think it would give a whole new fresh feel to the heroes plugin as well as the server's current class system.

Classes

First I would love for the classes to follow a set guide line regarding the amount of skills that tier class has rather than throwing a random amount of skills at a class. An example guide line for the tier'd classes could be the following;

Tier 1 - 3 pvp skills, 1 passive, 1 ultimate and the standard set of skills (port, full heal ect).
Tier 2 - 6 pvp skills, 2 passive, 1 ultimate and the standard set of skills. (also a Health boost depending on the class)
Tier 3 - 9 pvp skills, 2 passive, 1 ultimate and the standard skills. (again possibly a health boost and mana boost depending on the class).

Note, the health boost as well as mana boost ect could be an increase to the base attributes of that class possibly. Now, the ways in which you would level these classes:

Tier 1 - By killing mobs, players and also a small xp gain of using the ultimate
Tier 2 - Mostly killing players with a 60% reduction of XP gain off killing mobs.
Tier 3 - solely off killing players.

The reason why the xp gains would be like this is so that it won't take forever for newer players to get stuck in with levelling their class and getting stuck when it comes to just pvping, that is why the tier 2 classes would still get xp from killing mobs but with a greatly reduced xp gain per mob incourging more PVP. (Note by tier'd classes I mean being able to choose that class again after mastering the lower tier)

Skills

Right now I'm on to skills in general, this is where the fun would begin (and also for you to hate it even more due to the extra coding needed). Anyway ill get back to the point. I would love it if you could have actually tiers for the skills you have in each class (sound intresting, huh). For example a skill would go like:

Fire bolt -> fireball -> fire blast

With each tier of a skill, there would be a benefit. At tire 1, it would be the standard skill nothing fancy here. The second tire of the skill however would have have a reduced cooldown/ and or a reduced mana cost (depending on balancing issues, I want a feeling of a better skill per tire but not for it to be overpowered). Then, the third tier of the skill would gain the bonuses of tier 2 but also have a damage boost (lets say 15-25% damage boost, again depending on balancing issues tier 3 skills could loose the tier 2 bonus but gain the damage boost).

For levelling these skills (even passive skills and ultimate) you would have to achieve for each tier (Note; this is just an example criteria needed);

Tier 2 - X amount of mob kills, X amount of uses and X amount of damage done to players in total.
Tier 3 - All of the requirements of tier 2 but with increased x amounts and also a x amount of kills on other players (Makes me want to PVP to gain my third tier!)

Summary for the lazy people eh;

+ A set guideline of amount of skills in each class (every class has the same amount of skills)
+ A better version of the class you're playing (tier'd classes, I'd read it if you don't understand the concept)
+ Better versions of your favourite skill! (have to meet requirements to upgrade it, again read the post fully under the skills section)

Thankyou for reading or reviewing this post, I'd happily answer any questions regarding it and elaborate where needed. Regards, Beau.

mikehk

Legacy Supporter 6
Tier 1 - By killing mobs, players and also a small xp gain of using the ultimate
Tier 2 - Mostly killing players with a 60% reduction of XP gain off killing mobs.
Tier 3 - solely off killing players.
and then we have boosting/severe noob camping.

the idea for t3 classes has been around for awile. "legendary" classes im pretty sure is what they were called. you could choose them after mastering all of a certain path (IE mastering wizard, necro, beguiler, and pyro would allow access to lets say "godlyzomgcasterpwner". however that name hardly fits the bill, as the legendary classes were supposed to be only slightly stronger due to balance reasons.

LightningCape

Holy Shit!
There are a few reasons why I disagree with this.
Tier 3 - solely off killing players..
This would really just make leveling painful and even more time consuming at least now you can get exp for killing anything to level your combat class.
Skills

Right now I'm on to skills in general, this is where the fun would begin (and also for you to hate it even more due to the extra coding needed). Anyway ill get back to the point. I would love it if you could have actually tiers for the skills you have in each class (sound intresting, huh). For example a skill would go like:

Fire bolt -> fireball -> fire blast
This isn't really a "skill tree" skill tree implies that you can choose which skill you want whereas this system would just lock you into place. Other than the fact this would cause a balancing nightmare it, to me, would create some issues like;
  • Irrelevant skills
  • Skills that are too weak or too strong which would then affect the skill that comes after negatively
  • conflicting with attributes
Overall it's a revamp that's not needing seeing as how there are plans in place to have people choose their own skills in the future.

Last edited:

Beau_Nearh

Portal
Oh lightning cape, this suggestion regarding skill tiers has nothing to do with skill tree. Rather, it's more specific to the skill. So basically it's the same skill, but with bonus's such as a lower mana cost to cast it or a damage boost to that skill. But the different names for each teir was just a suggestion, it could be called "Fireball I", "Fireball II", "Fireball III". Something down those lines.

However, I do agree with it possibly conflicting with the current attribute system and I wouldn't know how it would be inter grated into the different tiers (Not sure of the best way of doing it) and well I'm a bit of yes and no for certain teir skills making others useless. If this was the case, why have two skills within a class that are that similar that if one was to increase in damage or reduce in mana cost ect it would render the other skill useless.

Beau_Nearh

Portal
and then we have boosting/severe noob camping.

the idea for t3 classes has been around for awile. "legendary" classes im pretty sure is what they were called. you could choose them after mastering all of a certain path (IE mastering wizard, necro, beguiler, and pyro would allow access to lets say "godlyzomgcasterpwner". however that name hardly fits the bill, as the legendary classes were supposed to be only slightly stronger due to balance reasons.

I'm not sure how we could prevent it but maybe have different XP gains depending on the tier class someone is? We could make it scale so that you only gain 10 XP for killing a tier 1 class compared to a 100 XP gain from tier 2.... Possibly even 250 XP gain from another tier 3 class?

It could work put as this then;

If a lower tier kills a higher tier, they would have a positive multiplayer applied to their XP gain
If a higher tier were to kill a lower tier, they could have a negative multiplayer applied to their XP gain (Making farming lower tiers pointless to an extent)
If a same tier'd class killed someone, they wouldn't have a negative nor a positive XP multiplayer added).

Dsawemd

Wiki Team
Legacy Supporter 8
Huge change suggested to fix something that isn't broken.

Just because this is how other heroes servers organize their classes or leveling doesn't mean Herocraft should, the system in place works well.

And if you didn't take this from another server but instead pulled it out of nowhere, I doubt you have a clear idea of how a proper implementation of a pvp-exp system would change this server.

Beau_Nearh

Portal
This isn't supposed to be a fix for the current server, rather give the class system aswell as skill system in place a lot more depth. Regarding the classes and leveling, I haven't really looked around at other servers BUT I don't think a system where you can upgrade stock skills within a class after for-filling certain requirements like mentioned above has been made meaning it's a unique idea. I'm not quite sure by what you mean by me not having a clear idea on how a more PVP orinanted XP system would affect the server. I do think I grasp the whole concept. Currently, the only reason I would PVP would be down to loot, boredom and general raids but overall my whole PVP experience is very low due to me being a low level and getting hunted down by a group of players who have mastered their class.

At a lower level, all I feel like I'm doing is grinding away constantly trying to get to a level where I may be able to kill someone in a battle. The current system is if you're a high level, you PVP a lot more due to the favor of winning is on your side as all you are doing is killing lower levels (kinda like the rich get richer and the poor get poorer). If you take out the whole mob grind (at the last tier of class level, just like the suggestion in the original post) you will force players to PVP to level thus meaning a lot more PVP will be happening on the server. As well as this, you won't have as many players who have mastered the class they are playing meaning a lot more fairer fights are taking place making it actually FUN to PVP. This should cover all your points Daawemd.

Dsawemd

Wiki Team
Legacy Supporter 8
Were you around on Zeal? The incentive you are offering to level to the tier 3 classes will create an environment worse than the worst bed camping story from the old days, 24/7.
#ZealCrew

Beau_Nearh

Portal
I'm afraid to say I wasn't, I'm a fairly new player to this specific server but not to heros in general. But without chaos there is little fun. I want to be worried when making a base that someone is going to come hunt me down and destroy me. I want to enjoy the thrill of rushing someone who's building something and chasing them for 10 minutes. Currently, I'm happily going AFK at my base on occasions because there is little threat, I even managed to set up a full beacon without anyone attacking me. All I personally feel like I'm doing is waiting for it to become night, grinding away by killing mobs which put up next to nothing in danger and then restarting the whole process at dawn.

But before you suggest I go pvping, I would agree with you but I'm a low level. I stand no chance compared to a lot higher classes who have already out their fair share of the BIG grind. Also, as the server is set up currently. Spawn camping wouldn't be a problem as you;

1.) Spawn at a graveyard rather than a bed (I think this is what your referring too with the zeal times)
2.) A PVP free server that you can hop onto if you're constantly getting attacked (which I'm aiming for but hey ho) and want to relax and build a bit ect.

I'm not sure if my point is coming across as clear as I intend it to be but I hope you get it :')

Dsawemd

Wiki Team
Legacy Supporter 8
You say you are a low level who wants to attack builders, but your suggestion would lead to players like you being camped for leveling, and would go in an entirely different direction from the custom mob leveling experience the server is headed for. Tier 3 leveling through pvp will not happen.