• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Thoughts on the topic of "OP"

agentjwall

Godly
It has come to my attention that recently the term OP has been thrown around quite frequently and in many cases, used incorrectly. I'd like to spend a brief moment going over it's proper use and how to discern between it's two very different definitions. If you are a tl;dr person skip down to Section 3.

Section 1.) What is "OP"?
OP is a slang term / acronym for Over Powered. Over Powered means "a player, group, or game mechanic that is or becomes too powerful". From this definition we can separate OP it onto two distinctly different definitions:

-Players and groups that are OP
When using OP in this context it usually means general dislike or distaste towards a player's skill, ability, or cheap tactics.
Correct uses:
"Those Tree Creepers are OP when they team up on people"
"GreekCrackShot is the most OP PvPer on this server"

-Game mechanics that are OP
When a mechanic of the game is broken, exploitable, or gives an unfair advantage.
Correct uses:
"the Zo class is OP"
"Root is an OP ability when it doesn't break on damage"

Section 2.) When is it used incorrectly?
Now that we know what OP looks like we can better understand what are incorrect uses of it. The most common problem is mixing up the two definitions, especially in the case of mechanic instead of player. Many times players falsely accuse a class or ability of being OP when, in fact, it's just an unnaturally skilled player or creative use of them. The problem here is that Players don't spend enough time to look at the problem and are quick to assume or judge instead of taking a closer look at the problem.

Section 3.) How Do I tell if a game mechanic is OP or not?
While this is a very inexact science with many uncertainties and assumptions, here is a general guide to analyzing Herocraft classes and skills:

Step 1. Engage a player with an OP ability/class in PvP
(This usually happens on its own)
Step 2. Consider all of the following:

Players on each side?
    • The more player in any given conflict the harder it is to determine accurately whether an ability is OP
    • 1v1 matches are Ideal (Excluding support abilities)
    • One player operating effectively against groups of players is a sign of OP-ness
    • If you were outnumbered it is unlikely that an OP ability/class was at fault
Levels of each player?
    • If you're un-spec'd against a spec'd player stop right now and slap yourself in the face (multiple times if the player is at a significantly higher level or mastered)
    • If you are a significantly lower level it is unlikely that a skill is OP
    • A skill may to be OP if you are a much higher level
    • battles between mastered specs are the best way to gauge the power of classes/abilities
    • If you're fighting a mastered opponent and you're not it is significantly less likely that a class/ability is OP
    • *Protip: masters in a class are much better suited to gauge OP-ness
Experience of each player?
    • If you are fighting a long time player / someone who is renown for their sill in PvP chances are a skill isn't OP
    • If you are consistently being killed by novices with this class/ability then it is more likely to be OP
    • If you are new to PvP or have trouble fighting with the older, more experienced players then it is most likely skill based, not OP
Step 3. Analyze both your and your opponent's classes:
Its important to consider the pros and cons of each class when looking at OP abilities. Things like "rangers are geared towards ranged combat" and "Paladins are made to tank damage" should be considered.
Step 4. Consider the problem form your opponent's perspective:
Too often do fixes cause more harm then good, crippling it's PvP ability or removing key features. It's good to consider the smallest changes that can be made in order to balance out the class and what abilities could stand a little "trimming" so to speak.
*protip: asking a buddy who plays the class in question is a great way to solve this

Section 4.) How do I let others know about my opinion?
If you wish to report an ability/class as OP then the two proper places to do it are /ch OP in game and the suggestions section here on the forums (Forums > Public > General > Suggestions) ore rarely in Bug Fixes (only if an ability/class functions improperly, not OP broken). To communicate your findings, make your writing as detailed as possible about the problem but try to keep it well organized and as concise as possible (a summery section works fine too). Section 3 provides a good framework to work from when communicating the problem but there's plenty more you can talk about as well. For a good example of a proper suggestion thread post, check out This thread by TheEthanEffect.
*protip: Keep OP discussions to /ch OP and the suggestions forums. Use constructive criticism only. Failure to do so will result in being swiftly "owned in the face" by Kalkyte

Well, that's just about all I had to say. I'd love to hear feedback, suggestions, et cetera about how I can make this guide better. But please remember that I don't claim to be an expert on gauging what's OP and what's not (since I knd of suck at PvP ^^'). And a Special thanks for those of you who read the whole thing!

Kalkyte

Legacy Supporter 5
Maybe a section on how to explain why something is OP and where to post it.
IE post a new thread in suggestions that details exactly why something is OP. Not 'hey root is OP fix it'. I think just writing out your thoughts on your main points (steps 1-4) would be sufficient to explain why you think something is OP.

The suggestions forum and /ch OP are the ONLY places you should discuss any matters pertaining to something that is OP. Do NOT argue or target other players. Constructive discussion only. No 'you just suck at PvPing, it isn't OP'.

I will own you in the face if you pull that shit. You will end up looking like the elephant man when I'm done with you.
Jokes....but seriously, don't.

Razael6

Legacy Supporter 3
@Kainzo should sticky this thread in like bug reports or suggestions.
7s0d07avp190.pnh

m371hqty10ek.pnh

GreekCrackShot

Legacy Supporter 7
"GreekCrackShot is the most OP PvPer on this server"
:D

I agree mostly, but I also agree with KainBullet in saying that if you are caught at a disadvantage fighting a PvP'er who knows what they're doing, and you're a complete noob, then if you lose badly, it could be that you just suck at PvP.

strongholdx

Legacy Supporter 6
Jwall, I fucking love you. You have explained my thoughts on the overuse and misuse of the term OP.

STRONGHOLD APPROVED *STAMP*
Bro Points +30
Awesome Points +150
Badassery points +95

LEVEL UP

agentjwall

Godly
V1.2 is out!

Maybe a section on how to explain why something is OP and where to post it.

Section 4 now talks about how to communicate that a skill is OP.

I will own you in the face if you pull that shit. You will end up looking like the elephant man when I'm done with you.

Quoted

@KainBullet --Grammar mistakes fixed, thnks for catching those.

I agree with KainBullet in saying that if you are caught at a disadvantage fighting a PvP'er who knows what they're doing, and you're a complete noob, then if you lose badly, it could be that you just suck at PvP.

"Losing?" section removed since it was too similar to "experience of each player?"

Jwall, I fucking love you. You have explained my thoughts on the overuse and misuse of the term OP.

STRONGHOLD APPROVED *STAMP*
Bro Points +30
Awesome Points +150
Badassery points +95

LEVEL UP

Level 2 WOOT!