• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

The Winter Olympics of 2014

Fjordsen

Legacy Supporter 6
What's your opinions on the opening ceremony?
What events are you going to follow?
What outcome do you predict for the events you will be following?

I'll start.

The opening ceremony was pretty good, not as good as Bejiing in 2008 but better than London 2012. One disappointment was that I didn't get to hear Putin declare the games open in english :( A bit too much russian used in the ceremony tbh, but the show was pretty good.

I will be following all the cross-country skiing (Including the Biathlon), the alpine skiing, ski jump and some Nordic Combined.

Just so you can get the idea on how the top of cross country skiing is like, here are the current world cup standings:

Ranking2.JPG

Duerr (AUT), Harvey (CAN) and Jespersen (NOR) are wild cards that can turn either way, if they have a good day they can all compete for medals or even gold. Northug, who is by many considered the most controversial and greatest racer in the world will be interesting to follow. He had a bad start on the world cup season, but if his body is doing good the next couple of weeks we can expect him to harvest gold after gold. Another person who is not on the list that we can mention is Dario Cologna who just recovered from illness and who got a second place in his first world cup race this season only a week before the Olympic Games.

ranking1.JPG

The two marked in red (Hermann and Kikkan Randall) are specialized sprinters and will compete for gold in the sprint competition though I highly doubt that they will be relevant in any other competition except for perhaps the team competitons.

As you can see from the rankings, the strongest team is by far Norway right now and I am 99.9% sure that the team competition is already a secured 4x gold for Norway. Marit Bjoergen is definitely the strongest racer amongst these right now and the only reason she isn't in first ranking is due to illness during Tour de Ski earlier this season. The only dangerous racer amongst these is Justyna Kowalczyk who can perform really well in classic competitions.

Who else is hyped for the olympics and who else are going to follow the Cross country skiing?

Last edited:

Fjordsen

Legacy Supporter 6
Summer Olympics are the only Olympic. Girls volley ball, hnnng
All the summer sports combined is still sleepingly boring compared to a winter sport such as cross-country skiing.

/Biased opinion

But yeah, girls volleyball...

SurvivalManZ

ICE ICE ICE!
The opening cremony was decent, but when the countries came out, I was a little confused. In front of all the countries, they had a woman dressed all in white with really weird ice antler things on their heads. Whats up with that?

I will definetly be following the snowboarding half-pipe.

jan9f

Legacy Supporter 3
I don't care much for sports but I've looked at more the political side of the olympics. Honestly the tension is pretty high. If something goes horrible wrong there could *potentially* be another world war. And we all know how the last world war involving Russia (USSR at the time) went

Fjordsen

Legacy Supporter 6
I don't care much for sports but I've looked at more the political side of the olympics. Honestly the tension is pretty high. If something goes horrible wrong there could *potentially* be another world war. And we all know how the last world war involving Russia (USSR at the time) went
Something goes wrong, such as?

There was no world war during the cold war, so I don't see why there is a chance now. Russia and the US still has tens of thousands of nukes and nobody wants war between factions who both has nuclear weapons.

Glacial_Reign

Portal

There was no world war during the cold war, so I don't see why there is a chance now. Russia and the US still has tens of thousands of nukes and nobody wants war between factions who both has nuclear weapons.
North Korea really tried to puff their chest out at the US.

jan9f

Legacy Supporter 3

Such as a bomber. And I was referring to the cold war as a result of a war with Russia as well as the issue with Germany and the Berlin Wall. The cold war happened as a result of WWII, and WWIII probably wouldn't be great especially with the technology today

Fjordsen

Legacy Supporter 6
Such as a bomber. And I was referring to the cold war as a result of a war with Russia as well as the issue with Germany and the Berlin Wall. The cold war happened as a result of WWII, and WWIII probably wouldn't be great especially with the technology today
A terrorist bomb would only make the relation between Russia and checnya suffer. I don't see why Putin would declare war on someone because of a terrorist attack. And there's no way a participating nation would actually bomb an olympic event.

jan9f

Legacy Supporter 3
A terrorist bomb would only make the relation between Russia and checnya suffer. I don't see why Putin would declare war on someone because of a terrorist attack. And there's no way a participating nation would actually bomb an olympic event.
True, but still. My point is, tensions are high due to the Olympics.

Jonsoon

Legacy Supporter 8
umhVJT2.png

STDs4YouAnd4Me

Legacy Supporter 8
Laugh... Out... Loud