• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

The State of Herocraft

colley619

Legacy Supporter 4
So it looks like I'm back again after a long hiatus (College is hard, yo). I've been with Herocraft on and off for just a few days over 5 years now and I definitely remember hero crafts low and high points.

It seems to me that Herocraft is currently on the low end of the player base. I logged in a couple times over the past few days to only find about 70 players max online. Before I took a break last, I believe we were breaking 120 in the afternoon no problem. I tell ya, this really concerns me as a long time player. Most of my favorite mine craft memories are on this server and when the community is large, the fun of townships and wars are endless.

I think we really need to push to gain back a large player base, be it advertising on mine craft forums or just telling your friends about it that enjoy the game. Now having only been back a few days now, I could be getting ahead of myself here. But I'd like to know what you guys think about the state of the game right now.

Last edited:
We're struggling to retain our nicer, more mature players. We're becoming woefully outnumbered, so much so that we're struggling to try and get to, and assist, new players before they're preyed upon and harassed to the point of quitting.

We could use you on Herocraft, if you're one of the players who likes to help newbies, rather than frustrate the newbs - as well as nicer, longer-standing members - into quitting. :)

radicater11

Legacy Supporter 3
It's really not Herocraft's fault entirely. Minecraft is just a less popular game, so there are less over all players to pull from. Also, the player base's age has slowly shifted down over the years, and this server just doesn't interest the younger crowd. The important part is that donation money is still flowing in, and if Kainzo's not worried, neither am I.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
So it looks like I'm back again after a long hiatus (College is hard, yo). I've been with Herocraft on and off for just a few days over 5 years now and I definitely remember hero crafts low and high points.

It seems to me that Herocraft is currently on the low end of the player base. I logged in a couple times over the past few days to only find about 70 players max online. Before I took a break last, I believe we were breaking 120 in the afternoon no problem. I tell ya, this really concerns me as a long time player. Most of my favorite mine craft memories are on this server and when the community is large, the fun of townships and wars are endless.

I think we really need to push to gain back a large player base, be it advertising on mine craft forums or just telling your friends about it that enjoy the game. Now having only been back a few days now, I could be getting ahead of myself here. But I'd like to know what you guys think about the state of the game right now.
I'm always up for new ways to spread the message of Herocraft but people need to understand the nature of the server and that its not "carebear" there will be pvp fights, etc.

The decline is largely due to Minecraft in general lessening but I'm not quitting because of it. Herocraft has always had really high highs and very low low's - its the nature of the RPG system we have, but I hope to remedy that to keep a stable, consistent community active that enjoys the server we provide.

Start bumping our http://hc.to/MCF posts / posting youtube videos, etc.

For Quality over Quantity, I would suggest getting to know people on Strictly-PvE Servers, and not just spamming them with an Ad...but getting to know them, and if they're a mellow, chill, relaxed group, maybe slowly introduce the idea to them. Let them know the Anarchical structure of the game, but let them know that there are mellow, mature players who are desperately trying to recruit pleasant players into the Herocraft member base, and that newbies will be well looked after if/when they join. There are a few neat spots I'm working on recruiting from, but my biggest issue is that I can't always be online when they come online, so they're just getting picked off by the predators.

If your mature, level-headed, mellow players do wind up joining, let me know, and I will get some starter gear set up for them. Good stuff, too! :)

For Quality over Quantity, I would suggest getting to know people on Strictly-PvE Servers, and not just spamming them with an Ad...but getting to know them, and if they're a mellow, chill, relaxed group, maybe slowly introduce the idea to them. Let them know the Anarchical structure of the game, but let them know that there are mellow, mature players who are desperately trying to recruit pleasant players into the Herocraft member base, and that newbies will be well looked after if/when they join. There are a few neat spots I'm working on recruiting from, but my biggest issue is that I can't always be online when they come online, so they're just getting picked off by the predators.

If your mature, level-headed, mellow players do wind up joining, let me know, and I will get some starter gear set up for them. Good stuff, too! :)
I think it's funny hearing you saying stuff like this as if you're a mature, level-headed, or mellow player.

I don't think the way to go about this to recruit from other servers. Currently we get plenty of new players. So far the problem isn't getting them here, it's getting them to stay here.

The way to go about it would be to lure them in with simple PvE content and have towns draw them into the more PvP based community. I do think that all the new changes such as conquest points are large steps in the right direction though.

I don't think the way to go about this to recruit from other servers. Currently we get plenty of new players. So far the problem isn't getting them here, it's getting them to stay here.

The way to go about it would be to lure them in with simple PvE content and have towns draw them into the more PvP based community. I do think that all the new changes such as conquest points are large steps in the right direction though.

I actually agree. I also think a positive step would be to find a way to immerse the player in the PvE element, before introducing to oppressive an element of PvP, but in a way that doesn't undermine the PvP element of the game. We also don't want people to join, taunt and harass the PvPers, but be able to walk away unscathed as a result.

I'm sure that Happy Medium exists out there, but it's our job - as the players - to put our heads together, and come up with a decent proposal to submit to the Staff.

Assuming this hasn't been done already. Japanese schools are some of the most hardcore and competitive institutions in the world, but they still give their students ample opportunity to be instructed, and to try out what they've been taught and study, before throwing then face first intoo a Practical Exam.

Right now, we expect people to join Herocraft with Herocraft-specific skills and knowledge, which isn't setting them up for success. I want to give everyone a fighting chance, but keep the "Impossible" difficult rating, and all without spiting the PvP players who have stuck with the server over the past half a decade.