• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

The New Dragoons - An Analysis, Breakdown, and Suggestions

(Edited for sake of formatting and visual appeal)

Before I start this post, I want to make two points clear right off the bat:
1) Apples are broken. They do this thing where you keep chomping on them but they aren't consumed unless you're standing still.
2) If you have not played a Dragoon with the new changes, then you cannot speak with any sort of authority on how it affects the class. Just as I don't try to tell Wizards what they need and don't need in terms of doing their job despite never having played one, please do not try to come across as an expert. You will only make a fool of yourself. That being said, you are more than welcome to post feedback regarding what you as a member of your respective class experiences when in combat with Dragoons. Former Dragoons are welcome to chime in, but if you haven't been part of the skill cost experiments over the past few days, please be advised that the actual execution of the proposed changes has been far from what's listed on paper, and there are many factors to take into account.

I also request that anyone who wishes to add to this thread does so in an objective, professional manner. Please save insults, flames, and trolling for other threads. I love a good flamewar, but an objective discussion about the technical aspects of a class is not the place for one. Thank you for this courtesy.

THE DRAGOON

The Dragoon class, particularly its signature skill Jump, has been an object of controversy, and has held an air of mystery and elitism, for quite some time. With Kainzo's recent investigations and experimentations into class balance to take new factors, both from standard Minecraft and from his own inspirations, it's to be expected that the Dragoon class would receive a review and alterations based upon the evolution of the server. Change begets change, as the saying goes. In this post, I will endeavor to first define the role of the Dragoon, discuss the execution of its class role in the Herocraft world, and then examine why it is perceived in the light that it is. I will conclude by offering personal insights and suggestions that I have developed from considerations drawn from my experience as a Dragoon, be they buffs or nerfs, to facilitate a proper mixture of the Dragoon class and to assist the developers in making changes so that it may better fulfill the role they intend it to.

- THE ROLE

When in development or review of a class, the first step that must be taken to ensure optimum integration efficiency is to define the intended role of said class. Only after a definitive purpose has been decided upon can true balancing begin. Multiple factors must be factored into these design specifications, the most significant being how the class interacts with others, where it is strong, and where it is vulnerable. Because of this truth, the only logical place for me to begin my review of the Dragoon is to define its role. While I cannot speak for Kainzo's initial intentions for the class, I can make an educated guess based upon the long term capabilities and specifications that have remained constant during my time on Herocraft. My personal perception of the Dragoon's role, and thus the focus this post will be centered upon, is as follows:

The purpose of the Dragoon is to serve as aerial cavalry to harass and neutralize enemy ranged units while his teammates better equipped to deal damage engage heavier opposing classes from the front. The Dragoon is a tactical fighter, relying on his mobility to rapidly deploy to the point of his choosing on the field, where he may quickly make surgical strikes against his target before retreating to both regenerate mana and health, and to escape from the much greater damage dealing capabilities of the other Warrior and Rogue classes.

- OVERVIEW

My time in Herocraft has been spent almost entirely as a Dragoon, with the sole exceptions of the two times I had to level the Warrior path (thank you so much for Bite, BTW). During this, I have battled against every class in Herocraft (with the exception of Bloodmage, which I've never even seen in use), including other Dragoons of a higher level. During this, I have learned certain intricacies about Dragoon battle tactics that lead to victory, and those that lead to defeat. The key to success as a Dragoon is to know your role in a fight, what you can handle, what you can't, and the difference between when it's time to jump back and catch your breath versus when it's time to book it and get the hell out of Dodge.
Unlike other classes, most of a Dragoon's primary advantages (and requirements) are of a psychological nature. Tactical awareness and the ability to quickly adapt a maneuver while still maintaining contingency plans are the utmost of these. A Dragoon who becomes trapped and is unable to maneuver will quickly die if his enemy is capable of capitalizing on it.

Discipline and self-control come in second. To properly play as a Dragoon, you have to survive as a Dragoon. When entering an engagement, identify your opponents (using /hero who if necessary) and factor in all knowledge you have of them and their combat styles, if any. Our community is small enough that this is not a Herculean feat. After taking stock of your opponents, separate them into those who may be safely defeated, versus those who will not go down so easily. Decide upon your strike tactics, such as where you intend to launch from, how much damage you intend to do, when you intended to leave, and possible escape points should things go wrong during the strike. When you have made these calculations IT IS VITAL THAT YOU STICK TO THEM AND DO NOT DEVIATE UNLESS THE BATTLE SITUATION SHIFTS. When you leap into a fight, do only what you intended to do, and then exit. Resist the urge to pursue out of blood lust, especially a retreating enemy, as you will wind up using more mana and shifting further from your intended position on the battlefield, and your lack of ability to do heavy damage means it may take you awhile to finish him off, during which time the battle may change against you. Never allow the taunting of others to deter you from your attack plan. Those who complain of Dragoons using Jump to retreat don't know how the class is played, and may well be upset and frustrated because they didn't get their kill. You can use this to your advantage. If someone doesn't understand how the class is played, then it's quite likely they don't know how to efficiently fight against it. Never allow yourself to be flustered, never allow yourself to get angry, and remain calm at all times, even if you get ambushed. Never panic. A clear mind plots and executes tactics properly, while a clouded one tends to lead to mistakes, sometimes even unintended physical reactions like a misclick. Mistakes such as these are bad enough for normal classes. For a class that requires the level of precision and expertise that the Dragoon does, they can be deadly.

Conversely, as discipline is an asset required of a Dragoon, the lack of it in our opponents is something we can exploit easily, especially when it comes to fighting ranged classes. As evidenced by the numerous complaints of non-Dragoons who feel that Jump is overpowered, despite having no comprehension of how it is used, more than a few people are intimidated and/or frustrated by it, and are thus more likely to allow adrenaline to influence their combat tactics when they see it used. Heavy damage dealers who want to win a battle will become angered when you jump away to recover, and ranged classes who suddenly find themselves being hit in the face with a spear will frequently panic, disengaging and running in the exact opposite direction of their teammates in an attempt to escape, sometimes making a break for a Town Hall if one is nearby. If you do your due diligence as a Dragoon and assess the terrain surrounding the battlefield before the engagement, you'll have an advantage over them should you choose to pursue, which is only a good idea in specific cases like that of a high probability of returning to combat and further endangering you and your teammates. Another factor to take into account here is that sometimes a player who disengages from a battle and runs may hesitate to return to the fight if he escaped with his life, especially if he's on a kill streak, whereas after a death this will become irrelevant. With the recent addition of Graveyards, this is something else to consider. It's impossible for me to tell you exactly what to do in all combat circumstances. You will have to evaluate the situation for yourself and act on it accordingly, learning from the mistakes you make. This process is part of the path to becoming an expert Dragoon.

- IMPLEMENTATION

After review of the intended purpose (unless Kainzo had something radically different in mind) of the class, and the mindset required to best fulfill the role, we shall take survey of what mechanical tools the Dragoon has at his disposal. (DISCLAIMER: I'm writing this after work before going to bed. This list is accurate as of early Wednesday morning EST. Due to the constant tweaks being made, I'll refrain from posting specifics on mana and cooldowns, and just give generalizations.)

Weapon of Choice: Spear (Diamond Shovel): 7 Damage
Helmet: Chainmail
Chest: Iron
Leggings: Diamond
Boots: Chainmail

Max HP: 109.5
Max MP: 100 (Constant)

Skills:
Taunt - Standard Warrior skill, PvE (Irrelevant)
Disarm - Standard Warrior skill. 3 second duration, moderate mana use, 15 second cooldown.
Jump - Signature skill. Medium mana use, long cooldown, temporary lesser fall protection.
Tumble - Passive. Shared with rogues. Ignores falling damage from certain heights.
Cleave - PvE skill (Irrelevant). On the chance that this has been altered to affect players too, 12.6 damage to all forward targets. Medium mana use, medium cooldown.
Charge - This wasn't working properly when I tried it out. I'm told it's like old charge, but with a stun added in.
Impale - 15 damage + slow effect, medium mana use, moderate cooldown. Can be quite difficult to use at times.
Quake - When you take falling damage, targets nearby take 25% of the same. Passive. Not toggleable.
Super Jump - Huge jump. High mana use. Currently not working due to anti-cheat.

Summarized Dealing Capability:
Standard Attack - 7 Damage
Impale (moderate cooldown) - 15 Damage.

For purposes of comparison:
**Paladin**
Helmet: Iron
Chest: Diamond
Boots: Iron
Max HP: 134

Standard Attack: 5 Damage
Damage Abilities:
-Soulfire (Useless in rain or near water)
Defensive Capabilities:
-Disarm
-Shield
-Endurance
-Invulnerability
Utility Abilities:
-Lay Hands
-Pray
-Soulbond
-Revive

**Dreadknight**
Chest: Diamond
Leggings: Iron
Max HP: 123

Standard Attack: 6 Damage
Damage Abilities:
-Harm Touch
-Decay
-Drain Soul
-Empathy
(All magic based, bypass armor)
Defensive Abilities:
-Disarm
-Endurance
-Curse
Utility Abilities:
-Become Death
-Manafreeze
-Soulbond

**Samurai**
Chest: Chain
Leggings: Chain
Max HP: 107.5

Standard Attack: 10 Damage
Damage Abilities:
-Bleed
-Inversion
(Should Cleave become PvP, it will be the same as Dragoons, but will do 18 damage)
Defensive Abilities:
-Disarm
-Bladegrasp
Utility Abilities:
-None

Now that you've viewed the other warrior classes, you can see their purposes quite clearly defined by their equipment, attributes, and skills. With that in mind, let's look at Dragoons again in the same display format.
**Dragoon**
Helm: Chain
Chest: Iron
Boots: Chain

Max HP: 109.5
Standard Attack: 7 Damage
Damage Abilities:
-Impale
-Quake
Defensive Abilities:
-Disarm
Utility Abilities:
-Jump
-Tumble
-Charge
-Super Jump
Looking at that again after looking at the other warriors, you're probably starting to see a bit of an anomaly. If you're having trouble seeing this, compare each class by armor, HP, weapon damage, and skills in each category. I'm not going to waste my time or yours by comparing Dragoons to Paladins and Dreadknights. The lists above show quite clearly the extreme difference in defensive capability, and in the case of the Dreadknight, the extreme difference in damage dealing potential. Dragoons do have a slight advantage in terms of standard attack damage, but the Dreadknight can quickly outpace that with his skills, especially since they are magic oriented and bypass armor. However, at first glance, Samurai and Dragoons look pretty similar. Let's compare them more in depth. As some of the loudest complainers about Dragoons and Jump are Samurai, this is only fitting.

Category: Armor
Dragoon
*Chain Helm
*Iron Chest
*Diamond Leggings
*Chain Boots

Samurai
*Iron Helm
*Chain Chest
*Chain Leggings
*Iron Boots

Analysis: On initial observation, the presence of diamond armor with the Dragoon while not with the Samurai gives the edge to the Dragoon. Looking deeper, however, you can see that both classes still have two pieces of chain, with Samurai having Iron in the "weaker" helm and boot slots and chain in the stronger chest and leggings. The presence of iron over chain gives the Samurai the advantage there. Next, let's bring in chests. Dragoons have the advantage here, with iron compared to the Samurai chain. However, as Samurai are already at an advantage in two of the other slots, the Samurai is still ahead overall here. Then comes the game maker. The Dragoon's diamond leggings are vastly superior to the chainmail the Samurai gets. If both classes were equal before this, then the Dragoon would be the winner by far. However, up until you factor in leggings, the Samurai is still ahead. This makes the difference in Samurai and Dragoon defense smaller than it first appears.
Winner : Dragoon
Category: HP
Dragoon = 109.5
Samurai = 107.5

Analysis: A 2HP difference isn't even enough to talk about when you consider lag and other issues. For all intents and purposes, this may make a difference one time out of a thousand.
Winner: Push
Category: Standard Attack
Dragoon: 7 Damage
Samurai: 10 Damage

Analysis: The Samurai has a massive advantage here, and that three damage per swing racks up quickly. The math presents itself plainly: The Dragoon will have to swing three times to do 1 damage more than a Samurai who swings twice.
Winner: Samurai
Category: Damage Abilities
Dragoon: Impale, Quake
Samurai: Bleed, Inversion

Analysis: While the number of damage skills being equal may seem balanced, in practice, this is far from the case. In fact, the Samurai begins to show its massive offensive advantage even more here. Pushing aside the previously established standard damage, let's look at the skills. First, toss Quake out the window, as it's completely useless. For reference, it deals 25% of all incurred falling damage the Dragoon takes to all targets within a small radius. The near identical amounts of HP between the Dragoon and Samurai mean that a fall that would kill a Dragoon would deal only 27.5 damage (rounded up) to the Samurai. Lol. This leaves us with Impale, versus Bleed and Inversion. Impale is supposed to hit for 15 damage (I don't know if this is affected by armor or not) and slow the target for 5 seconds, costing 20 mana and having a 6 second cooldown. I believe it was intended to have an increased range over a standard attack, but in practice, it doesn't seem to. While not having played a Samurai, and thus not being able to accurately describe the abilities (come to think of it, I don't know any master Samurai who could talk about Inversion), I can run the documented numbers. If listed properly, Bleed deals 10 damage every three seconds, for ten seconds. It requires 10 mana, and has a 2 second cooldown. In terms of damage potential, this is superior to Impale due to its persistence over time. However, Impale has a slowing effect that can assist the Dragoon in getting in a few extra hits. Factor in standard damage dealing differential, and it's difficult to determine which attribute is superior. Personal experience with Impale leads me to believe Bleed is probably better, as Impale eats up a Dragoon's Jump mana and the Dragoon can't always stick around to take full advantage, but the power of slow cannot be ignored. I'd call this a push. That's all the Dragoon has for offense, but the Samurai still has one trick up his sleeve: Inversion. The application of Inversion in practice is not something I know anyone who can testify to, but if it really does do 75% of a target's missing mana and only takes 60 mana out of a pool where Bleed's 10% consumption and Disarm's 15% with a 15 second cooldown, this could hit REALLY fucking hard. I'm not quite sure where Mortal Strike and some of the other Samurai abilities went, but this is enough to give the Samurai the advantage.
Category: Defensive Abilities
Dragoon: Disarm
Samurai: Disarm, Blade Grasp

Analysis: Blade Grasp. The small advantage in armor a Dragoon has is now nullified by the Samurai's extremely effective signature skill, that makes them arguably the best melee tank in Herocraft while active. There's not too much to say here. Samurai wins, hands down.
Category: Utility Abilities
Dragoon: Jump, Tumble, Charge, Super Jump
Samurai: None

Analysis: This is where the Dragoon class is made. Its entire functionality is based around mobility. Its weakness in terms of defense and in damage dealing capability means that it cannot engage in prolonged combat against the other melee classes that have a much higher damage output, so the Dragoon must pick and choose his battles carefully. Its lack of ability to deal the damage required to bring down a class with even moderate defense immediately necessitates the need to make multiple strikes, getting in and getting out before being overwhelmed, and being patient to wait for their next opportunity. Mobility and tactics are the sole things the Dragoon has working for it as a class, so these advantages must be fully exploited. An expert Dragoon who has mastered this art is capable of bringing down multiple opponents of higher levels. The Dragoon's utility abilities are what makes the class. Without this, players have no other option than to run in and swing their shovels, becoming glorified Diet Samurai.
Winner: Dragoon
Overall Class Power
========
Dragoon vs. Samurai
Winner: ???

Dragoon vs. All Classes (including other Dragoons)

Despite the fact that I have spent a great amount of time comparing the implementation of the Dragoon class and how it relates to the other warriors, there is one hugely important factor that I cannot take into account. It is the most important factor, but it is the most abstract and most dynamic in change, and no one can make a reliable prediction as to the effect it will have in a battle. Nothing impacts the outcome of an engagement moreso than player skill. Be it reaction time, terrain familiarity, reflexes, or even teamwork with other characters, an underpowered class played by a skilled player stands a strong chance of victory against an overpowered class played by a bad player every time.

- PERCEPTION

The comparisons above do a fine job of showing the power of the other warrior classes, and the technical inferiority of the Dragoon on those levels. The Dragoon's power comes not from the tools it is given, as evidenced by the performance of skilled Dragoons in battle despite these disadvantages , but the potential in which they may be used by those dedicated to mastering the skill needed to use them. ALL classes have the potential to exceed their technical specifications. The difference is that while the other warrior (and other path) classes provide plenty of technical capability to perform their intended role, a Dragoon NEEDS to fully exploit what meager tools he is given to simply survive, and to prosper. It is merely a case of people who are content with settling to use only a fraction of what they are given being upset that other players are using their class to the fullest, and they don't like this. To draw comparison to another game, it's like the casual players in WoW complaining that they don't have access to the items that dedicated raiding guilds are pulling out of the high end dungeons they spend hours and hours in every week, wiping time after time as they learn encounters.

If you will notice carefully, there has been almost no complaint about a Dragoon's performance in melee combat. Nearly all complaints have been centered around Jump, specifically Dragoons jumping away from combat. This is not due to the Dragoon being overpowered. This is far from the case. If it was, there'd be complaints about how the Dragoon is brutal in combat and impossible to stop. There is almost none of that, with the sole true exception being a specced warrior in the midst of a group of unspecs. The issue most people are raising is the fact that Dragoons are always jumping AWAY from a fight. This is not an issue with class balance in combat. This is an issue with people feeling that all battles, solo or group, should end in a kill. The fact of the matter is that most complaints directed at Dragoons are not directed at Dragoons themselves, they're directed at the role Dragoons fulfill and the way they are employed.
That is not to say that these feelings are not justified. This is far from the case. As I have mentioned above various times, the Dragoon is a skill based class, requiring expertise to fully employ. A simple /hero who dragoon will reveal, at any given active time, at least a dozen Dragoons of various levels, if not more. There are a couple factors that play into this. My personal belief that the most significant reason there is such a surge in the Dragoon population is because of the Crafter to Profession change. Players that would have otherwise been dedicated crafters now have what is, in effect, a free class. In addition, players who were quite familiar with their class from Zeal now want to try something new, something fun. Jump is fun. Jump LOOKS fun. There's no denying that. Couple that with the extended opportunity to try out new classes on the test server, and you have an environment where players gravitate toward the Dragoon class simply because they think it will be fun to play. My girlfriend was one of them before the changes prompted her to shift to Dreadknight. Now, compare what I have just said to what I have said throughout this post. "Dragoons require a large amount of skill and expertise to play," versus "Many people on this new map have chosen to try out Dragoons because they think it will be a fun class." You should be seeing where I'm going with this.

When you try to reconcile a class that requires great degrees of precision and discipline to play effectively with a large group of casual players who chose a class because they think it will be fun, you are left with one thing: A large group of casual players who are not as strong in combat as they could be because they haven't invested the time and training needed to properly fight. Some of these players may eventually begin to harden up and become absolutely lethal, but the vast majority of people playing Dragoons will never reach that level of commitment. They should not be faulted for this. Many players play Herocraft to have fun, to get away from normal stress. Those who sit down for six hours writing an essay to fully analyze and explain a class are much less common.

Returning to my point, however, is that you will have a large group of players who don't capitalize upon the true strength of the class, instead relying upon standard hack and slash tactics while only making use of their strongest technical assets from time to time. As they do this, they don armor only slightly heavier than unspecced warriors get (rarely taking advantage of this as diamond leggings are expensive), run into better armored, better defended, and more damaging opponents, trying to rapidly click their mouse to deal a seven damage hit and occasionally use an impale to add to the damage as their opponents shrug off their blows and tear into them. See my Diet Samurai comment above. As this battle progresses, it will inevitably turn from their favor. When a "Diet Samurai" Dragoon is in the middle of a fight and begins to lose, it is likely that that Dragoon will do what most players do when they believe they no longer can win the fight: They run. This is the point where their opponent has won the battle, and is now likely in pursuit to finish them off. Again return to the idea of casual players, that chose the path of the Dragoon just to have Jump for freedom, fun, and as an escape mechanism. Unless that Dragoon has run out of mana, they'll likely attempt to use Jump to escape. This escape can be tremendously difficult to pursue, especially against Dragoons who learned how to jump solely to escape. The conclusion of the battle may be a victory for the opponent, but it is incredibly frustrating to watch an enemy rush off over the horizon (except when they turn to look to see if you're pursuing them and they fall off a mountain. Lmao) Believe me, I understand this well. When I was an unspecced warrior back in Zeal, I got to deal with Pandaman doing it all the time. However, it does not take away from your victory, which is what you must remember. The victory is the important aspect. The kill is merely the icing. Accepting that will greatly decrease the frustration you feel when an opponent flees.

The sheer number of casual players playing Dragoons currently means that incidents like these will be more common than they would otherwise be. Don't view this as a bad thing. After all, a win is a win. Instead, think of it like you would as, say, someone on defense in a Rush round of Battlefield 3 or other shooter. Dragoons are like snipers. They're a high precision, high expertise class. However, in most FPS games where there aren't restrictions on the number of snipers, you'll often see more of them than all other classes combined. Despite their sheer number, most of them will be absolutely useless and serve as nothing more than an annoyance. In that mix will be a couple GENUINELY good snipers that assist their team by marking targets and only taking out enemies during the contesting of an objective to remain concealed. Those are the ones you have to worry about. The rest, while annoying, present far less of a threat than someone rushing toward you with an auto shotgun (Samurai).

- SUGGESTIONS

I've always been one of an open mind, even when it comes to my own class. I'm every bit as willing to accept a nerf as I am a buff if it's genuinely merited. I personally think Dragoons were fine as they were. However, if changes, positive or negative, are necessary, then role of the class must be examined.

Dragoons have three areas of focus:
1) Maneuverability to dictate terms of the fight, striking when the time is right and pulling back to wait.
2) Identifying, targeting, and neutralizing vulnerable enemies while avoiding dangerous ones, fighting through attrition.
3) Lasting long enough while in close combat to deal enough damage to make a difference.

Two of these areas should be considered primary, with the third as secondary.
The first of these is pretty obvious. Our mobility and tactical strike capabilities are what makes us who we are. This must not be impaired. Jump must remain accessible and usable in combat. I will admit that a "learning curve" of jump progression is perfectly reasonable, however, a maximum level Dragoon should be able to move with just as much mobility as before. 15% mana with no more than a 2.25 second cooldown at level 55 is perfectly reasonable. Tumble is fitting, and should stay. If Jump HAS to be censored, then a supplemental mobility skill must be put in as well. A sprint style ability that increases run speed and normal jump height, with a moderate mana cost and moderate cooldown would do nicely, but testing for balance would be required. This would allow for an alternate method of entering and exiting combat, as well as providing maneuverability, without the extreme nature of Jump. Superjump also needs to be looked at (if it hasn't already been adjusted while I've been working on this).
Our ability to deal damage and bring down targets has always been a weak point. With the nerf to our armor lowering the amount of time we can spend in a fight before retreating, our ability to deal damage also needs to be revisited. However, damage isn't the only way a class can have an effect on a fight. Impale is a wonderful skill, but the slow is worth more than the damage. Impale is the first skill that should be looked at regardless of class focus, as it no longer seems to have the range it used to. The increased range should be restored, maybe even a detection cone replacing a ray trace in order to help cope with lag. Cooldown could be increased to 8 seconds to balance this. The stun inflicted by the new Charge (if it's working yet) is a nice addition, but some damage would be good too. Quake is another ability that could be altered. In its current form, it's pretty useless (though I did use it on a chicken to hit Master). Instead, Quake could be turned into an active skill, where the Dragoon rockets to the ground and deals AoE damage and a debuff, like stun or disarm or something. Maybe even an extended Disarm with greater mana cost and greater cooldown than the normal Warrior one. Hell, even a straight damage or DoT would be cool.

Alternatively, raising our standard damage to 8 would also be something to consider. I should clarify that I'm not suggesting the implementation of ALL of those ideas, just one or POSSIBLY two. Raw damage dealing capability and status effects are both to be considered. Throat stab for a silence, Intimidate for a mana drain, Dominant Strike for debuffs... all sorts of possibilities. Those are merely suggestions, however, the Dragoon's offensive arsenal really should be given a second look. We need something else at our disposal if our staying power in combat is going to be reduced.
Combat endurance is the third and final focus point of the Dragoon class. The Dragoon must be able to put up with some punishment while in the mix, as our low damage dealing capabilities mean we must be in close combat for longer to dish out the damage required. Like I said, I have an open mind about my class. In this particular area, I can see justification for a nerf. Full iron armor and diamond leggings are tank level armor, and are even more effective with enchantments and the new implementation of armor. It is perfectly reasonable to reduce this down to its new levels. Hell, if you want to take the Final Fantasy Tactics inspiration
URL]

instead of the heavier Final Fantasy IV Kain-style, then you could give us back our iron helmets but push us back to leather boots (PLEASE DON'T KILL ME, KAINZO). While our dedicated defensive skills are limited solely to the disarm we share with other warriors, this isn't necessarily a bad thing. When it comes to Dragoons, I subscribe to Mr. Miyagi's school of thought: The best way to handle an attack is to not be there. We have our mobility for a reason, and it should be our primary defense. We get in, make our strike, and get out, hopefully before we get stuck in a fight we don't want to be in.

Some Dragoons will make the argument that we need a way to break roots and snares. I can see both sides of this argument. While such an ability WOULD increase Dragoon survivability, it would also drastically hamper the efforts of those who are intelligent enough to hit us where it hurts most, which is our mobility. Every class needs a weak point, and the Dragoon's is, and should always be, getting stuck in a prolonged engagement. If you're dumb enough to get caught, or your opponent is smart enough to catch you off guard, then you deserve the difficult battle you're going to have to fight just to survive. My personal opinion is that an ability like this is not only not needed, but should be avoided.

- CONCLUSION

This analysis has taken quite some time to compile, and I thank you for reading it. It is my sincerest hope that the efforts I have taken to present it are of benefit, and that my observations are given some measure of thought by both players and developers. I have remained open to the thought of both addition and subtraction of benefits to the Dragoon class, and all suggestions I have made have been with the sole intent of optimizing the class so it may better accomplish the role it is meant to fill, and thus bettering the enjoyment of Herocraft for our server as a whole. I do ask that those who read this article also remain open to the idea of any change that may be made to the Dragoon class. I also restate my request that any discussion in this thread remain civil, and centered around the Dragoon class, keeping flames and trolling for other areas. And finally, I also humbly request that, if nothing else, if you read not a single word nor acknowledge a single thought nor heed a single suggestion...

Please, at least fix the apples.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
My god. I read apples are broken. Looking into Apples (May be an MC server issue)

Dragoon's are the master of aerial combat. They should have a longer reach (spear) and should have the ability to avoid combat by jumping into the sky. (SuperJump). They should be agile for Knights wearing plate (Iron/Diamond) and be able to jump and take little fall damage (Tumble)

malmenca

Diamond
Firstly, I applaud your in depth review and analysis of the situation. I've done some testing with a dragoon but not nearly to this extent. Secondly, one of the many things I have thought aboot was to force dragoons down into wearing some leather and iron, as opposed to the diamond, chain and iron. Seeing as armor is very powerful it doesn't seem fitting for a manuverability/utiliy class to have the tanky potential as the other warriors. I've faced a dragoon with 3+ town members and he (the dragoon) can sit there and kill us all by tanking our hits and just one by one mowing us down. Once he gets low/ armor is broken he just jumps away 4-12 times and eats/gets new armor and comes back to rape us again. (Not looking to bash anyone, just something I've taken note of).

I think you may want to consider putting jump into the defensive category aswell as utility. I do realize they don't have any "defensive" skills, but jump beats all frankly. Jump is the equivalent to a samurais bladegrasp at 55 (Bladegrasp blocks a % of attacks which increases by level to I think 90%.) because you can avoid all damage for a period of time (until someone catches up or you end up reengaging in the fight.) The way to combat dragoons as Ethan said is to get them locked up (Root, etc..) and beat on 'em. It is not difficult to kill a dragoon when there is someone who can root but not many classes have that ability and it seems without it they are nigh unkillable. (Several times has my town been facing a solo dragoon,usually 3 or 4 of us beating on the dragoon with stone swords. Up until recently when a townie leveld to wizard did we start actually killing him.)

On a sidenote: People feel that utility isn't the best option (Best defense is a good offense... etc..) but it is the versatility that the dragoons have that make them relatively balanced. Jump, as I said above, could be categorized as an offensive/defensive and utility skill seeing as it depends on how the user uses it.

I think, for the most part what you have said is correct, fucking awesome, and a great tool in which the dragoon class will get its changes as need.

Diffuse

Legacy Supporter 4
Just saying that nothing but paladin/dk beat dragoons in a 1v1 fight as it is. Samurai is a toss up with inversion, but I have no experience with that yet (are there even any mastered sams?). Healers not worth mentioning, casters have nothing to deal with us getting in their face (except maybe beguilers but what can they even do after piggy?), rogues get destroyed with systematic disarm/impales.

Dragoons are in a damn good place and the only reason you should ever feel weak is because dreadknights and paladins are really dumb because of armor being op.

PS:It kills me inside to use 21 mana for jump.

Dazureus

Legacy Supporter 4
Too long, read anyway. Excellent piece. I would consider adding a little variation in the text to mark out different areas, though.

I certainly hope this is effective! Jump ought to be easily accessible to Dragoons at basically any time, and the other suggestions are great.

My god. I read apples are broken. Looking into Apples (May be an MC server issue)

Dragoon's are the master of aerial combat. They should have a longer reach (spear) and should have the ability to avoid combat by jumping into the sky. (SuperJump). They should be agile for Knights wearing plate (Iron/Diamond) and be able to jump and take little fall damage (Tumble)

I acknowledge this. The amount of damage we can put out becomes less of an issue when our ability to remain in combat is greater, and when we're able to jump out to recover. I recognize that Dragoons will jump out of combat when we're running low on HP or armor. This is what the class is intended to do. It is our primary (and currently only) combat asset. Tactical maneuvering is a powerful weapon.

Yes, it's very hard to kill a Dragoon one on one. It is NOT hard to beat one back, especially with weakened armor, as our light damage allows enemies (especially armored ones) to get up close and stay there for a while. If you want to kill a Dragoon, you have to take away his combat advantage. Just as Rangers are destroyed up close, a Dragoon that can't maneuver comes down quite quickly. Dragoon coming after you? Root him, or have someone else do it. Unable to Root or otherwise take away his mobility through abilities? Go inside. Seriously, it's that simple. Go inside. As I mentioned, player skill factors in significantly, and Rogues are quite capable of beating a Dragoon with their status effects and superior damage. I disagree with the statement that only Paladins and Dreadknights can bring down a Dragooon, but what class can they NOT bring down? I've gotten into a couple fights with Samurai of lower level a few times, and with similar armor but much lower damage output, I HAVE to jump away in order to recover. I don't have a choice in the matter if I want to continue fighting.

Armor is stupidly overpowered right now. A single class should not be penalized for a mechanic that affects all classes, especially if said class is meant to be a tank, and ESPECIALLY if they do as little damage as they do. If damage output is to remain low, full iron and diamond legging armor levels should be restored to compensate for increased time required to deal effective damage.

With regards to weapon reach, I do think Impale should have a longer range. It would help us quite a bit. If you mean increased range with standard attacks... I'm not quite sure how I feel about that. While it would give Dragoons an asset that, with tank level armor and viable jump, would make us a strong and solid class, it might open up a can of worms that would be a detriment to the server overall.

List of suggestions:
=================
1) Jump -> If flat performance is out of the question and scaling has to be factored in AND Jump needs a nerf, then scale performance over 45 levels at these levels.

--Recommended--

Level 10: 33 mana, 4.5 second cooldown
Level 55: 15 mana, 2.25 second cooldown
Reductions: 0.4 mana/level, 0.05 second/level

This would put Jump at 25 mana with a 3.45 second cooldown at level 15, 20 mana with a 2.85 second cooldown at 35, and 16.25 mana with a 2.4 second cooldown at 50. When you consider the abilities that all other classes get at 55, maxing out at this and getting Superjump are more than fair.

2) If our ability damage is not being increased, restore us back to our Knight level armor (iron and diamond).

3) Increase the range on Impale so that it can hit from a few blocks (5 or 6 maybe? Factor in diagonal reach) away. IF it's possible to increase our attack reach, then this is something that should be evaluated carefully. I'm cautiously in favor of it, as adding a little reach would fit the class role better, but it would need to be tested to see how it affects things. Doing this would also help counterbalance the nerf that Jump is getting.

4) Turn Quake into something useful. I personally would love to see an attack where the Dragoon rockets down from the sky and slams into the ground, dealing AoE damage and a status effect. You could use the timer used to determine the temporary safe fall Dragoons get after normal jump to determine how long the Quake drop lasted, and deal damage based on that and level.
=================

Again, these are just suggestions, but the recent changes have drastically weakened our class's ability to do what we're meant to, and this really does need to be addressed.

Armor has been slightly modified/balanced in 1.1

We've been dropped to chain helmets and boots without any modification to our offensive capabilities, and a massive hit to the core element of our class. A MASTER Dragoon now requires 20 mana and a 5 second cooldown to use Jump. It's almost pointless to Jump at all until level 30, and even then, it's still a huge hit. Meanwhile, Dreadknights have had their armor upgraded from full iron w/diamond chest to iron chest with diamond helm AND diamond boots, and there are genuine complaints about them being nearly indestructible in combat, while nearly complaints against us are centered around us jumping away from combat to regroup, which is exactly what we're intended to. We have our weakness. It's easy to exploit. Take our maneuverability, or use magic. Don't punish the class because other players who play classes the Dragoon is strong against simply want to add to their killstreak instead of learning how to handle a situation.

Look at the post I took a day to write. Look at each class's total capabilities. Dragoons simply cannot compete now, at all, with the other warrior classes. On top of this, I'm told that chainmail production is once again going back to be an alchemist only skill. This, in effect, makes it even harder for a Dragoon to meet their full defensive value. Samurai are even worse off in this category, but at least they have Blade Grasp and a higher damage dealing potential to compensate. We do not. And if you think ROGUES are affected by the increase in Warrior armor, think about where WE are at. Rogues hit for 12 and have a wide variety of offensive skills. We hit for 7 and have impale. Warrior armor affects our ability to bring down targets much more than that of rogues.

Our core skill that our entire fighting style has been reduced to the point where it is is actually less than that of a wizard even when fully upgraded (Blink only has a 2 second cooldown). Taking that away, taking our armor away, and not giving us any additional offense is effectively making us the new Bloodmages, and even they have a good amount of utility now.

Dragoons are effectively disabled. A level 55 Dragoon's maneuverability is now less than half of what it used to be. For those who are still leveling (Zoomsz and I are the only masters, the next down is around level 40 I believe), Jump is useless. We have had no increase in our damage dealing capability, FURTHER crippling us against anyone wearing armor, and still making it extremely difficult to bring down an enemy target. And on top of that, our lower armor decreases the amount of time we can spend in combat even further.

To put this into perspective, it takes a 55 Dragoon 14 hits to kill an UNARMORED 55 Ninja, 12 if you can get an impale off. It takes the same ninja 11 hits to kill an unarmored Dragoon, and that's before Garrote and Blackjack come into play. When the Dragoon starts to lose and needs to retreat, he jumps, possibly hitting the ninja with an impale to slow before doing do. At this point, the 55 Ninja pops escape artist and One, and then runs after the Dragoon at twice normal speed swinging for 12, who is running at normal speed while he waits for his 5 second cooldown to come up. Sure, he can drop down a hill if one is available for some measure of defense, but the Ninja has tumble as well. Meanwhile, it's entirely possible that the Dragoon is also taking damage over time (which is messing with his ability to execute that precision jump he only gets to use every five seconds), so pursuit might not even be necessary.

Jump's current state means that Ninjas can chase down a retreating Dragoon and catch him. As can Bards. As can Wizards. And that's all assuming he's not snared or rooted.

I'm going to sum this up as best I can.

Your masters of aerial combat are spending almost all of their time on the ground. They have the same reach as everyone else, and deal less damage with their diamond weapon than the unspecced Rogue path does with their iron, and an ability that does around the same damage as bite with a slow instead of DoT. They are unable to avoid combat, as even full Dragoons can only jump every five seconds, and superjump does not work (on the few times it DOESN'T rubberband, it just sends you straight up, and also takes 60% mana). They don't wear the armor of knights, they are just warriors who choose to wear fancy pants. We do, however, take little fall damage, but this makes Quake a useless skill.

You must consider this, Kainzo. Our class is NOT fine as it is, and the absence of anyone bitching about us in combat but getting pissy when we shift position, compared to what everyone is saying about Dreadknights (who don't need to run, as they just can't be stopped), should be a clear indicator of this. We need our jump back the way it was designed, and either the return of our armor, or a new, strong addition to our offense.

strongholdx

Legacy Supporter 6
@TheEthanEffect

Nicely done. Read though the whole thing and I loved it. Great style, nicely written, void of any spelling errors, and meaningful. THIS is how to make a suggestion! I applaud your deep review, and I LOVED the end.

Stronghold approved *STAMP* *STAMP*
Respect Gained
Bro points gained +71
Awesome Points gained +45
LEVEL UP

RumpTroll

Legacy Supporter 1
@TheEthanEffect
Agree. Im a level 23 dragoon and i have 8 seconds on my jump and 23 mana cost. Not very nice.

I think making dragoons basic lance damage 1-2 higher or adding another skill would balance the class. Also some reduction in mana cost and cooldown for jump would be nice, not to much but the end result should be maybe 1 second less cooldown and 5 less mana? Personally i dont care about the armor to much.

If a massive analysis and list of well thought out suggestions from someone who has played the Dragoon class for quite some time through each phase of changes isn't enough to highlight that there is a severe issue with the Dragoon class now, then perhaps those of you who feel that the class is fine need to see it first hand.

So, if you think the Dragoon class is, in its current form, fine as it is, I challenge you to level a Dragoon from 1 to 55 under how it is right now, both killing mobs and PvPing actively as you do so. Should a guide/mod/admin choose to take this challenge, I think there's a mod or something that lets you change the name you log in under, so you can experience the ganking and smashing you wouldn't normally experience if people knew who you are.

I've written all I'm going to write about it. There's not really that much more I can add to it that I haven't explained anyway. If what I say, and what the other Dragoons are saying, isn't enough to convince you that there's a serious problem with our class thanks to Jump (and Impale now seems to have a stamina cost, further affecting our ability to use our one damage skill) being crippled, then you just have to see it for yourself.

Responses of, "Oh, I don't need to play the Dragoon class. I know what I'm talking about," will only serve to expose you as an idiot, because until you actually do invest some serious time into the class, you don't. Period. And if you're one of the, "I have no interest in playing the Dragoon class," crowd, then you have no place in trying to alter how our class performs.

Diffuse

Legacy Supporter 4
Oldish thread at this point, but I'm decimating everything but paladins, dreadknights and geomancers atm as a dragoon (I also never wear anything but iron chest/legs). Stamina costs on things like impale don't hurt a huge amount, but rather it is more of an annoyance. Dragoons are in a fine state imo and might even be OP when compared to anything but the other warriors.

phasedenergy

Legacy Supporter 7
After reading (and taking a fair amount of time to do so) all the opinions and information on this subject (and a few others).
And hearing what a fair number of players have had to say, I have a bit to offer...might be right, might be wrong....it`s just an offering...those who feel trolling and insulting are valid forms of replying....please don`t.

"Dragoons are in a fine state imo and might even be OP when compared to anything but the other warriors."

lol...some would say a cave spider is OP compared to anything but warriors......not really a reason to degrade it to the point of useless compared to it`s previous state (or the current state of other warrior classes) though....by reading the stats..one could almost believe there were too many people choosing (or intending to choose) Dragoon, and someone felt the other professions needed some positive P.R.

Being a hardcore pvp server, should how Dragoons used to be, not be the benchmark for balancing the other warriors?

But then again, that is not really how it works here is it?

We are not going for balance and fair chance to duel......it very much looks like the "hardcore" is all about who can get a class nerfed to useless (because it is a shared opinion amongst a number of players, that this action happened as a response to a few complaints), while some players stalk low levels so they don`t have to worry about taking damage while gaining exp ( same thing...some very passionate feelings out there about this)...hey, since spawners are now ...not allowed to be used for levelling, should stalking anyone who has not reached at least level 10, also not be allowed for levelling?....but I digress....those who complained about that kind of thing going on are probably just...what...whiners I guess.

"Several times has my town been facing a solo dragoon,usually 3 or 4 of us beating on the dragoon with stone swords."

Is this the kind of thing that caused the judgement against Dragoons?....any idea how long it takes to kill a passive with a stone sword?
And yet, a warrior class is supposed to be easier?....why would you even consider going after ANY warrior with a stone sword? really.
unless you are a high level camping a graveyard lol.

End Of Line.

Post formatted to be a MUCH easier read.

Shouldn't be.
The mod, or getting ganked and spanked?

Oldish thread at this point, but I'm decimating everything but paladins, dreadknights and geomancers atm as a dragoon (I also never wear anything but iron chest/legs). Stamina costs on things like impale don't hurt a huge amount, but rather it is more of an annoyance. Dragoons are in a fine state imo and might even be OP when compared to anything but the other warriors.

I'll refer you back to this:
Overall Class Power
========
Dragoon vs. Samurai

Dragoon vs. All Classes (including other Dragoons)

Despite the fact that I have spent a great amount of time comparing the implementation of the Dragoon class and how it relates to the other warriors, there is one hugely important factor that I cannot take into account. It is the most important factor, but it is the most abstract and most dynamic in change, and no one can make a reliable prediction as to the effect it will have in a battle. Nothing impacts the outcome of an engagement moreso than player skill. Be it reaction time, terrain familiarity, reflexes, or even teamwork with other characters, an underpowered class played by a skilled player stands a strong chance of victory against an overpowered class played by a bad player every time.

A player's skill is a huge factor in the outcome of a fight, but each class has a set technical "cap" that only allows for so much. The cap of the Dragoon is much lower, so if your opponent is as good at playing, say, a Samurai as you are a Dragoon, you're probably going to lose that fight, even if he's a lower level.

phasedenergy

Legacy Supporter 7
"@TheEthanEffect - you can't login with a name other than your MC-name on HeroCraft. if this was the case then people could easily exploit or multi-log."

I got the impression he meant : change the displayed name.....not entirely sure though as printed words are notoriously uninflected, and are subject to the reader`s current state of mind and perceptions (which, before anyone says anything, are not necessarily the same thing).

@TheEthanEffect - you can't login with a name other than your MC-name on HeroCraft. if this was the case then people could easily exploit or multi-log.

I seem to remember a nickname plugin or something that can change the name you show up as. Not sure what the specifics are, but that's what I'm referring to. Not sure on the specifics of it, but it's ringing out in my mind that it's possible for admins. I know it's possible to do it through chat, as that's just changing the string that's echoed in console, but I can't remember if you can do it to display names over characters or not.