• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

The Elders Scrolls

Aerokii

Legacy Supporter 8
I got into the whole elder scrolls thing pretty late, with Oblivion. When I first played it on the PC it seemed pretty great- the grahpics were good, the world was interesting and open, and the ability to mod it was new to me as well, and very awesome!

Fast forward three years to my second playthrough. Even with DLC, the main storyline seems incredibly short/uninteresting, where you're pretty much just a bodyguard for the world's most boring bastard child of Jean Luc Picard Sir Patrick Stewart Uriel Septim. The majority of the game seems contained within side quests, and every 10 or so minutes you come across another oblivion gate that wants you to walk into a generic environment and close it.

At first I at least thought the levelling system was unique- until I realized that they've been doing a close variant of it that debuted in Japan under the title of "Final Fantasy 2". Combat is incredibly mundane for an rpg, as it usually includes a variant of "hit them with a weapon or spell more times than they hit you.", and that open world that I loved... you never really affect or change it. It all just feels so static when compared to other rpgs or games in similar settings.

But my biggest, most hated complaint? The voice acting. I think it's great that they took time to put a voice to every part of the script, but if you're going to do that, at least make sure that two people that sound exactly the same despite being different races are never standing right next to eachother. It just seems like they blew the entire voice budget on Sir Patrick Stewart and then picked 5 people off the street to finish the rest of it.

Ugh. Despite all that, I'm really looking forward to Skyrim, and when it comes down to it, I'm very hopeful that it ages better than oblivion does.

Jackrox256

Obsidian
@GaidenFcous

Ahhhhh, a fellow Morrowind fan. I don't miss Morrowind though...cause I still play it heaps! My computer can just barely run it, but the constant crashing doesn't get me down! :D

GaidenFocus

ICE ICE ICE!
Don't want to ruin any surprises for anyone!
So i played skyrim this weekend, and it seems alot better than oblivion already. There is actually a crafting system! Or at least an interesting one. I like how you can upgrade your weapons and armor. Also i like how they combined picking your sign, picking your class/specializations into the new "perk point" system. the graphics are awesome, the combat is alot more entertaining as far as melee. DECAPITATION! I will admit though i'm not very far into the storyline, but i have explored a bunch of caves and mines. mining ore is awesome!

also get ready crashes. any veteren elder scrolls player knows this, nothing has changed!

over all seems like a huge improvement.

GaidenFocus

ICE ICE ICE!
Also i have noticed a few bugs(?)

1. when you are creating your character, sometimes when you move his head around you are unable to manipulate the bars on the left hand side, and have to go up top and go to the next field and then back to that one to be able to use it again.

2. When trying to dual wield spells i think you are supposed to be able to right click the spell for your alt hand and left click for your main hand. if you have a sword or any other weapon in your hand it wont work. if your hands are in motion it wont work. you should empty your hands, then bind a spell to your right hand, then your left hand.

3. there is a doorway where you cannot pass it, even though it is big enough for you to get through. just strike it with a weapon or destruction spell. i think it was supposed to be spider webs but it didnt render on my computer for some reason.

hope this helps anyone having the same issues!