• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Temporary Suggestion for Dreadknights, Dragoons, Rangers, and POSSIBLY Disciples

Gonna make this quick and simple.

Sword using classes now have a huge advantage over non-sword using classes due to enchantments being the way they are. I propose that until we can get enchantments on all weapons, why don't we give Dreadknights, Dragoons, and Rangers the ability to use iron swords? They'd hit for the same damage as each class's respective normal iron weapon? Dreadknights and Dragoons would hit for 5, Rangers would hit for 4, and Disciples (if decided in their favor) would hit for 5 or 6.

The justification for this is not all that unreasonable. All of these classes (aside from Disciple) learned how to use swords during their respective training path. Keeping them at iron, however, would be more logical.

This would allow all classes to have access to weapon enchantments, at least until they can be properly added to normal class weapons. Thoughts?

ezmac

ICE ICE ICE!
DreadKnight speaking, I am at a bit of disadvantage to players that can use swords. Making enchantments meant for weapons on Axes could easily fix that, but Ethan's suggestion seems more simple to accomplish. Not being able to use iron swords always did bug me a bit.

Sleaker

Retired Staff
what enchantments are you talking about? all of the damage enchantments are disabled and do not work with heroes, so I don't see there being any issues.

Zoomsz

TNT
Fire aspect seems to be quite useful, and knock back would be adequate for a ranger. Agreed with this post, it makes sense considering that sword using classes would have an enchant bonus over non sword using classes. (Unless you like that Efficiency 3 while fighting)

Sleaker

Retired Staff
no seriously, Fire Aspect is now removed, and bows can have the knockback enchant.. We will not be giving out swords to everyone. We will either limit or change how enchantments operate.

The design is not to give everyone a boost to bring them back up to enchantment level. The design is to keep balance relatively the same as it has been. If new things imbalance something, they get removed/nerfed, not the other way around.

On a slightly related topic, the way enchantments are handled in MC is completely non-functional for a serious game. They are completely ridiculous, unbalanced, and were added with little balance thought. It is apparent they were simply added for SSP wow factor and to give extra options for people to do the enderdragon. (Potions are nearly the same)

I can't believe that notch thought they would provide any sort of balance in an SMP setting.

How exactly would giving each class access to iron swords that do the same damage as the class's standard iron weapon be boost in any way? All of the classes mentioned use swords during their path training anyway. I mean, sure, you'd be giving dreadknights and rangers an iron weapon that requires one less ingot, but I doubt that would make much of a difference.

I personally think knockback needs to go too, and we should do away with any enchantment that's exclusive to swords, and keep it out until we have a better system on the table.

Sleaker

Retired Staff
@TheEthanEffect - we wont give everyone swords because it's a design step back. instead of fixing the issue it hides it, and causes issues in the future when we go to remove the item. People come back and say, no no you can't take it away.

The issue is that swords with enchants are too good. Problem - enchants. Resolution step - deal with enchantments.

The current state is not: X, Y, and Z class are underpowered, so lets give them swords.

ezmac

ICE ICE ICE!
Every class having iron sword........ that would be ridiculous. I was just chatting about DreadKnights having iron sword in lower class, but not in spec'ed class which is odd. I get why Dragoon and Dreads would be able to use a sword, and maybe Ranger (but they have a lot going for them), but Disciple doesn't need iron swords.

I was talking about enchantments like knockback, axes can't have them. It's just a little disadvantage, but nothing to serious.

HollowSith

Diamond
Isn't that the appeal of being sword based classes though? When deciding a class, you need to consider if you can acquire an enchanted weapon and what exactly the enchanted item will accomplish towards your class. "Is it worth it?" If you chose dragoon or dreaknight you knew that you wouldn't be acquiring such enchanted weapons.

The idea of everyone having access to enchantments on swords is nice on the surface and appears to be nothing but fair. But having certain things for certain classes is what HC seems to enjoy. Being fair doesn't mean you all get the same items or the same type of skills as another class, that would be boring; don't you agree? Keeping some things separate is good for HC. Though having NOT been a DK or Dragoon, I won't pretend to know exactly "what's up". This is just my feel for it.

ezmac

ICE ICE ICE!
Isn't that the appeal of being sword based classes though? When deciding a class, you need to consider if you can acquire an enchanted weapon and what exactly the enchanted item will accomplish towards your class. "Is it worth it?" If you chose dragoon or dreaknight you knew that you wouldn't be acquiring such enchanted weapons.

The idea of everyone having access to enchantments on swords is nice on the surface and appears to be nothing but fair. But having certain things for certain classes is what HC seems to enjoy. Being fair doesn't mean you all get the same items or the same type of skills as another class, that would be boring; don't you agree? Keeping some things separate is good for HC. Though having NOT been a DK or Dragoon, I won't pretend to know exactly "what's up". This is just my feel for it.

That's just it though. I assumed that every warrior spec would just be an extension of that class. I think that warrior classes and maybe rogue classes should have sword enchantments especially if it says SWORD in the warrior class as its tool, but Rogues have the advantage of bows and bow enchantments. Casters and Healers have spells.

I wish knew that 'Master of Axes', or whatever it said, meant I un-learned the ability to use swords.

gooscar

Legacy Supporter 4
Rangers and Dreadknights are OP enough as is, they really don't need more to them.

donnymeyer

Obsidian
^ good point... this is one of the only advantage rogues and warriors and some of their specs have...

ezmac

ICE ICE ICE!
Rangers and Dreadknights are OP enough as is, they really don't need more to them.

They only adventage I ahve right now is Harmtouch and I can only use that once every fight. So, not that op while I am Alone.