• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Technic issues

Myaras

Gold
I'm having issues with the Technic launcher on my Mac. I was able to download the modpack through it, but every time I try to log in I get an error, "failure to load". I can play the game using the standard Minecraft launcher.

Can any Mac users shed some light on this issue?

Myaras

Gold
No, thank you. I'd rather pay $2000 and have my computer last with limited issues for 5-6 years than pay $500-700 and have to constantly reboot, scrub for viruses, and replace every 2 years.

Having said that, I'm sure there are other Mac users around...

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
constantly reboot, scrub for viruses, and replace every 2 years.
Someone doesn't know what they're doing then. I'm running a 5-6 year old PC with Win 8 atm running the majority of games at 60+ FPS I don't have an issue with viruses because I know how to take care of my PC. Also those that say Macs don't get viruses are idiots and my point is only proven by the major security flaw in the Mac version of flash player causing a huge number of Macs to be turned into an enormous bot net.

But back on task.
If you're just going to troll don't bother posting.

Also gabizou any thoughts?
I don't know much about the Technic launcher and you built the mod pack. :p

gabizou

Sage of World Making
Architect
Legacy Supporter 7
There are some issues with the modpack that I can't locate, but it's more of an issue that Optifine is doing something wonky with OpenGL that the mac version of Java doesn't like. The next update should fix (for 1.5.2).

I'll just go ahead and revert the modpack without the latest optifine today and see how that works.

Myaras

Gold
Thanks for the update, gabizou.

As for Mac viruses: Danda, I am aware that they exist. However, I am heartened by the fact that there are far more PC viruses than Mac. I have been able to upgrade and keep PCs up to date for 5-6 years myself, but I prefer the reliability and ease of use of a Mac. My 5-year-old Macbook Pro (without upgrades) has handled better than any similarly-aged PC (with video card and hard drive updates) I've owned. To each their own.

gabizou

Sage of World Making
Architect
Legacy Supporter 7
I assume that the Technic Launcher works for you now?

Myaras

Gold
I have yet to try it again. I'd posted this from work. I've been able to run Herocraft from manual loading, but I'll attempt the Technic loader later this evening.[DOUBLEPOST=1367633745][/DOUBLEPOST]Yes, Technic works for me now. Thanks for the help!

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
As for Mac viruses: Danda, I am aware that they exist. However, I am heartened by the fact that there are far more PC viruses than Mac.
I'll grant you that there is a Huge number of Windows virus in comparison to Mac. Even with this fact it's still unlikely you will stumble into a virus unless you're trawling dodgey websites, opening random junk mail and downloading unknown installers from places.

but I prefer the reliability and ease of use of a Mac.
I'll grant you that OSX is designed for simplicity but I personally don't like the restrictive nature of apple. As for reliability as long as you use quality parts and treat your machine right you shouldn't run into any issues but I'll agree that you need to put in 0 effort to get a decent Mac together.

As you put it
To each their own.

P.S. Is nice to finally have a debate with someone that doesn't just go "MAC IS BETUR!" and actually provides reasoning behind it :p

Myaras

Gold
I try to be mature about it. ^_^

Alas, the technic loader has once again stopped working for me. I noticed the server upgraded to 1.5.2. I tried logging in with 1.5.1, and technic tried to update, but then it failed just like before. I upgraded Minecraft to 1.5.2, but the technic loader still doesn't work. Is this in anticipation of the HC upgrade tomorrow, or is there just a hiccup somewhere?

gabizou

Sage of World Making
Architect
Legacy Supporter 7
I try to be mature about it. ^_^

Alas, the technic loader has once again stopped working for me. I noticed the server upgraded to 1.5.2. I tried logging in with 1.5.1, and technic tried to update, but then it failed just like before. I upgraded Minecraft to 1.5.2, but the technic loader still doesn't work. Is this in anticipation of the HC upgrade tomorrow, or is there just a hiccup somewhere?
Try using the ModPack installer instead of Technic Launcher. I believe there are some issues with Optifine, I'm going to investigate in possibly using a different version of optifine.

Myaras

Gold
Nope...now I can't even get on the server using Minecraft.

Downloaded HeroModPack 1.3, unpacked and installed. Now when I try to get to the server my client crashes.

Do I need to uninstall anything before using the ModPack installer?

gabizou

Sage of World Making
Architect
Legacy Supporter 7
Try to force update, go through the installer and make sure to unselect Optifine. Then give it a try.

Dsawemd

Legacy Supporter 8
I just now updated the heroes mod when it offered, I can log in to the server fine, and I have optifine video setting options, but the shiny new menu interface is gone. I wasn't the biggest fan of it but it is gone, so reporting it along with the info that it IS possible to wipe ur minecraft, update the pack and login.

gabizou

Sage of World Making
Architect
Legacy Supporter 7
I just now updated the heroes mod when it offered, I can log in to the server fine, and I have optifine video setting options, but the shiny new menu interface is gone. I wasn't the biggest fan of it but it is gone, so reporting it along with the info that it IS possible to wipe ur minecraft, update the pack and login.
HeroModPack v1.3.0
- Removed VoxelMenu pending update from Mumfrey

Myaras

Gold
Attempted your latest suggestions, gabizou (unclicking Optifine during installation), with the modpack I'd downloaded during my last attempt. Received an unexpected error and crashed Minecraft.

Currently re-downloading the modpack.

gabizou

Sage of World Making
Architect
Legacy Supporter 7
Attempted your latest suggestions, gabizou (unclicking Optifine during installation), with the modpack I'd downloaded during my last attempt. Received an unexpected error and crashed Minecraft.

Currently re-downloading the modpack.
Did you force update before?

Myaras

Gold
Yes, I force-updated before using the manual installer with Optifine un-checked. No dice.

gabizou

Sage of World Making
Architect
Legacy Supporter 7
Yes, I force-updated before using the manual installer with Optifine un-checked. No dice.
Can you try to rename the minecraft folder to somethign else then starting minecraft then running the modpack installer with optifine unchecked and then see if that works?