• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Strength and Agility, Weapon Damage and Bow Scaling

Delfofthebla

Legacy Supporter 4
Retired Staff
I had originally planned to post this in this thread: http://herocraftonline.com/main/threads/general-balance-concerns-discussion.45690/ however, I'll be having us discuss a lot of nitty gritty technical stuff about the attribute system itself, so I figured it was better off in it's own thread.

I believe our current system of Strength and Agility are faulted, from a balance perspective. Strength is supposed to be the "melee" stat, however, very few melee bother putting many points into it. Why is that? Well, because left click attacks, the primary form of melee damage, is already at a very high level, even without strength. Additionally, the damage increase from Strength is very low, meaning the attribute is not very valuable. The defensive statistics are much more rewarding, from a player perspective.

The same can be said about Agility, but the true issue is with Ranger. A ranger can focus on a very tank or caster type build, while still maintaining very high bow damage. They don't actually need any Agility points, which is not how we want it.

So, the system needs to change, and I don't just mean a few number tweaks. We need to discuss exactly how we think the attributes should effect these things, and then decide what numbers to attach to them.

Let me give a quick example of how weapon damage works for a random class.
This is Ninja:
Code:
item-damage:
  Iron_Sword: 33
  Diamond_Sword: 39
item-damage-level:
  Iron_Sword: 0.29
  Diamond_Sword: 0.3
The "item-damage" is the base damage that they deal with a weapon. At level 1, this is the exact weapon damage they deal. The "item-damage-level" is a multiplier that is added to the base damage. If the ninja is level 50, with a diamond sword, he would deal 39 + (0.3 * 49) damage (53.7). Notice how the first level is omitted from the multiplier.

However, with attributes, all we did is stick another number to the equation. Currently, strength is a "global" modifier. Meaning that regardless of what tool or weapon they are using, the damage will increase based on their strength. The current number for this multiplier is 0.35. If the Ninja is level 50 and has 30 strength, he will deal 39 + (0.3 * 49) + (0.35 * 30) damage with a diamond sword, which factors out to 64.2. The 30 strength gave him an extra 11 damage or so. Not bad, but not necessary, provided their are better incentives for the class.

Bow damage works in the exact same way, but with agility rather than strength. I'll post numbers for reference, but keep in mind that these numbers make absolutely no fucking sense at all. The "true" damage seems to go far beyond the final number due to arrows dealing damage based off of their velocity.

Here is Ranger:
Code:
projectile-damage:
  ARROW: 10
projectile-damage-level:
  ARROW: 0.4

At level 65, they do 10 + (64 * 0.4) projectile damage,which equals 35.6. Projectile damage is increased by 0.185 per Agility. If the level 65 Ranger also had 30 agility, he would deal 10 + (64 * 0.4) + (30 * 0.185), or 41.15 bow damage. It's up to you guys if you ever really wanna experiment with those numbers, but I haven't tested them in a while. Keep in mind that Bow Strength increases arrow velocity by 20%, further enhancing the final damage number. I would say that a ranger with that much agility would be dealing around 210 damage per shot, but I can't say for sure.

CARRYING ON

As you can see however, levels offer much more advantages than attributes, even though they are gained from the same actions. In very early stages of Attribute Development, I had removed all "per level" aspects of Herocraft, and replaced them with attribute based alternatives. However, due to the ever-drawing release date of the new map, and my lack of any major assistance, I decided to revert the changes. The current balance situation is undoubtedly due to this decision, but it was made to preserve what little balance we had left at the end of Bastion.

Anyways, I am of the opinion that there is little to no dependency on Agility or Strength for melee or ranged classes, and that it is an issue that needs to be resolved. There are several ways that I believe it can be done, but before laying those out for everyone, I'd prefer to gauge the thoughts of the team.

• Do you agree that this is an issue?
  • If not, what do you think the real balance issues are right now. Are there any?
  • If so, how would you solve it?
  • With your proposed method, how will it affect other classes than the primary ones you thought of it for?

malikdanab

Legacy Supporter 8
I've felt that both strength and agility have been lackluster. As a physical class it's better to be more tanky than it is to have higher dmg. One reason I find it a problem is that both Strength and Agility give a static amount. of damage. This means that classes with a lower base are getting a better deal since the percentage gain is higher.

For Example:

Ninja @65 does 65 + (Str * 0.35)

Paladin @65 does 48 + (Str * 0.35)

If we say that both classes have 30 strength

Ninja: 65 + 10.5 = 75.5
Percentage Gain: 11.6%​
Paladin: 48 + 10.5 = 58.5
Percentage Gain: 12.1%
Possible ways to fix STR/AGI:
  • Make STR/AGI increased damage multiplicative
  • Make each class have unique rates at which STR/AGI increase dmg
These are just my 2 cents. Hopefully we can have a civil and productive conversation about this topic, because I believe it's something important that should be addressed :)

BulkPhase

Obsidian
Sort of what Malik said, I mean, multiplicative increases on strength/agility would be fine but it would have to be in small percentages of course. Possibly make each class gain more from strength/agility separately from the others. IE: Berseker gains more weapon damage per strength point then a Paladin.

I agree that the strength/agility thing is an issue although theres only limited options on how we can approach it.

victim130

Legacy Supporter 8
I had originally planned to post this in this thread: http://herocraftonline.com/main/threads/general-balance-concerns-discussion.45690/ however, I'll be having us discuss a lot of nitty gritty technical stuff about the attribute system itself, so I figured it was better off in it's own thread.

I believe our current system of Strength and Agility are faulted, from a balance perspective. Strength is supposed to be the "melee" stat, however, very few melee bother putting many points into it. Why is that? Well, because left click attacks, the primary form of melee damage, is already at a very high level, even without strength. Additionally, the damage increase from Strength is very low, meaning the attribute is not very valuable. The defensive statistics are much more rewarding, from a player perspective.

The same can be said about Agility, but the true issue is with Ranger. A ranger can focus on a very tank or caster type build, while still maintaining very high bow damage. They don't actually need any Agility points, which is not how we want it.

So, the system needs to change, and I don't just mean a few number tweaks. We need to discuss exactly how we think the attributes should effect these things, and then decide what numbers to attach to them.

Let me give a quick example of how weapon damage works for a random class.
This is Ninja:
Code:
item-damage:
  Iron_Sword: 33
  Diamond_Sword: 39
item-damage-level:
  Iron_Sword: 0.29
  Diamond_Sword: 0.3
The "item-damage" is the base damage that they deal with a weapon. At level 1, this is the exact weapon damage they deal. The "item-damage-level" is a multiplier that is added to the base damage. If the ninja is level 50, with a diamond sword, he would deal 39 + (0.3 * 49) damage (53.7). Notice how the first level is omitted from the multiplier.

However, with attributes, all we did is stick another number to the equation. Currently, strength is a "global" modifier. Meaning that regardless of what tool or weapon they are using, the damage will increase based on their strength. The current number for this multiplier is 0.35. If the Ninja is level 50 and has 30 strength, he will deal 39 + (0.3 * 49) + (0.35 * 30) damage with a diamond sword, which factors out to 64.2. The 30 strength gave him an extra 11 damage or so. Not bad, but not necessary, provided their are better incentives for the class.

Bow damage works in the exact same way, but with agility rather than strength. I'll post numbers for reference, but keep in mind that these numbers make absolutely no fucking sense at all. The "true" damage seems to go far beyond the final number due to arrows dealing damage based off of their velocity.

Here is Ranger:
Code:
projectile-damage:
  ARROW: 10
projectile-damage-level:
  ARROW: 0.4

At level 65, they do 10 + (64 * 0.4) projectile damage,which equals 35.6. Projectile damage is increased by 0.185 per Agility. If the level 65 Ranger also had 30 agility, he would deal 10 + (64 * 0.4) + (30 * 0.185), or 41.15 bow damage. It's up to you guys if you ever really wanna experiment with those numbers, but I haven't tested them in a while. Keep in mind that Bow Strength increases arrow velocity by 20%, further enhancing the final damage number. I would say that a ranger with that much agility would be dealing around 210 damage per shot, but I can't say for sure.

CARRYING ON

As you can see however, levels offer much more advantages than attributes, even though they are gained from the same actions. In very early stages of Attribute Development, I had removed all "per level" aspects of Herocraft, and replaced them with attribute based alternatives. However, due to the ever-drawing release date of the new map, and my lack of any major assistance, I decided to revert the changes. The current balance situation is undoubtedly due to this decision, but it was made to preserve what little balance we had left at the end of Bastion.

Anyways, I am of the opinion that there is little to no dependency on Agility or Strength for melee or ranged classes, and that it is an issue that needs to be resolved. There are several ways that I believe it can be done, but before laying those out for everyone, I'd prefer to gauge the thoughts of the team.

• Do you agree that this is an issue?
  • If not, what do you think the real balance issues are right now. Are there any?
  • If so, how would you solve it?
  • With your proposed method, how will it affect other classes than the primary ones you thought of it for?
I honestly can't think of anything else that could be wrong atm. With Dragoon, their base damage Plus the defensive attributes are strong and Ranger hardly needs anything to just tear into everything. These are both products of STR and AGI scales not being a factor at all. So if we were to reduce Damage of all classes (Maybe more on warriors and rogues) that's stats not being placed into defensive areas. Same as AGI for rangers.

Part of me feels like all classes have this problem though and I'm afraid to see the secret balance issues pop up. Basically what I think we will see is Ranger and warrior specs needing to delve into more str or agi to be strong offensively. Though what do we do to casters? We really shouldn't ask they place some strength in to get to a decent hit damage. But then we end up making "sword mages" viable. Or maybe, I'm not a huge numbers guy.

I think its something we will need to do extensive tests on no matter what, but those are my concerns.

leftovers5

Legacy Supporter 8
Sort of what Malik said, I mean, multiplicative increases on strength/agility would be fine but it would have to be in small percentages of course. Possibly make each class gain more from strength/agility separately from the others. IE: Berseker gains more weapon damage per strength point then a Paladin.

I agree that the strength/agility thing is an issue although theres only limited options on how we can approach it.
I am of this opinion as well. Shifting value gains per attribute point to be based on class. Lower the strength bonus for rangers and increase the agility bonus, for example.

malikdanab

Legacy Supporter 8
While not ENTIRELY on topic, I think the same thing can be used for all attributes. I was thinking that the amount that each stat gives would be unique to each class. For example

Current Endurance:
0.75 armor value and 1 stamina regeneration

Endurance for Paladin:
0.85 armor weight and 0.9 stamina regeneration

The concept of this is while str, agility, and intellect have a percentage modifier on a class/skill basis, skills like Con and End are the same for all classes. The first thing to facilitate this would to remove all base/negative stats on classes.

I'm not too sure on the idea myself. Just though I'd show off some brainstorming I did to produce some discussion on the topic.