• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Starting a hamlet... maybe

Shadeslayer365 and I, FingerSpazem, have been playing on herocraft for quite a while now and we might be thinking of starting a new hamlet. We haven't thought of a name or allegiance, but we could use some help on how to run a hamlet. Coin donations would be very appreciated because we still aren't very experienced and have not earned many riches. Although it is a donation so it is not required. Recruitment will not begin until the hamlet has officially claimed a region because the town itself should be built with the ideas of fellow town members, but a small group shall be with us during the early stages to help protect the hamlet in its most vulnerable state. Our hamlet will enforce most rules other towns have listed and our state as a town will flux ate due to the fact that we will be good, but not all acts of evil will be frowned upon. For example if someone were to trespass on the land such as an adventurer, we would have every right to kill him or her. Once again we are not very experienced, so players who have played on this server longer could give us some tips on how to survive our early days, expand our kindness, or even conqueror those who oppose us. All replies will be read and thought upon and I thank you for your time.

Our small group will contain people who would like to help lead our town. A requirement is required. For one of them: you will need Skype or Teamspeak 3. This makes communication much more easier for us. Once again we thank you for taking your time reading this.

Dreamcycler

Legacy Supporter 5
If you haven't played long enough to understand a lot of the mechanics, and you have no where near enough coins to start. I wouldn't reccomend making a town quite yet.

Dreamcycler

Legacy Supporter 5
^^^
I really do think you should wait until you have the materials and money to leave your town. Else you will be camped by higher levels and lose everything now lwc'd

Vongard

Legacy Supporter 7
why the negativity, if you and a friend feel that you have what it takes to create a town do it. Hell if i feel that you will become a suitible threat im willing to offer up a 1K DONATION

My main suggestions would be this:
1 Do not disclose your towns location until it is secure
2 Create strong friendships you will need ATLEAST 4 trusted members to run a sucessful town
3 Never underestimate the value of a single player if somone is making a large impact to better the town reward them before some other town is lucky enough to get them
4 Realize that one of the main places that you will be fighting other players is AT OR NEAR your town. make it defendable
5 AIRLOCK SYSTEMS.
6 AIRLOCK SYSTEMS!!!
7 USE FUCKING AIRLOCK SYSTEMS!!!!!!!!!!

To sheepcry: Maybe we are leaving because when we're on the only thing that we can do is level. I know leveling is important later in the game but still we feel bored. However we will stay in the town.

To Dreamcycler: We will take your advice on doing the wait game and maybe make some new friends that will be trustful. I'm kinda looking at Sheepcrys and Jori :)

To Vongard: We Appreciate your donation and will take all your advice. However I don't know what an airlock system is :p

Shadeslayer365 if your reading this, is there anything else I missed?

malikdanab

Legacy Supporter 8
5 AIRLOCK SYSTEMS.
6 AIRLOCK SYSTEMS!!!
7 USE FUCKING AIRLOCK SYSTEMS!!!!!!!!!!

Anymore airlock systems and there wouldn't be any air to lock in! You will just create a vacuum and suffocate anything within it.

Dreamcycler

Legacy Supporter 5
Good luck on the town finger, I would donate some diamond blocks but I just put 30 in townbank andim running kinda low on em. I could help out in other ways though

Just to be clear, we're not making the town yet. We are thinking and talking about it. However we would like some guidance after I clear it over with Shadeslayer365.

To Ellron23: We are not making a town yet. Just thinking of how we're starting it, we're not going to make it Immediately.

To Canada_Blue: I will go over your help with Shadeslayer365. This is a group idea we made not a solo thing.

To Dreamcycler: Thanks pal :)

xexorian

Admin ZeeZo
Retired Staff
Just to be clear, we're not making the town yet. We are thinking and talking about it. However we would like some guidance after I clear it over with Shadeslayer365.

To Ellron23: We are not making a town yet. Just thinking of how we're starting it, we're not going to make it Immediately.

To Canada_Blue: I will go over your help with Shadeslayer365. This is a group idea we made not a solo thing.

To Dreamcycler: Thanks pal :)

I'll be blunt first off, and then I'll recommend some things to you. Also, you could've just came to me in-game or on TS3 since I kind of you know, am your King. :p You may not know it but I am a nice guy and I do try to help people, even people who want to leave my kingdom for precarious adventures in town management.. lol. ^_^

In my opinion: you have no where near the experience to do this, as it takes literally paragraph upon paragraph of me explaining things and mechanics to you that you HAVE NOT experienced. Furthermore, you don't have the group yet, combat levels up, resources for it, or even really know a lot about it. The wiki isn't enough.

I recommend you do not listen to canada_blue. If you want my reasons for this opinion (negative) then click the spoiler below.

He has been trying to make town after town work and fails miserably. Partly because he can not resist trolling, and even if its just the little things, they add up and he pisses people off. I've also seen him do some very sketchy shit like locking random noobs in his trading shop and forcing them to buy "something" to let them out. Then, going as far as telling them to buy even more and continuing to harrass them afterwards. He has a bad reputation in my eyes.. Primarily because he's hungout in TS3 and said some shit while he probably thought I was cool with it, and I'm not. (No offense canada_blue, but you should've acted more appropiate. Also, this isn't meant to slander you directly however I do not want you recruiting noobs from an OS town into more of your twisted "plans")

However, that said I can give you some actual ADVICE rather than an opinion.

• I also advise you to actually read everything on the entire wiki, not just the town rules, and then go think about the mechanics of all the hero skills after you've seen how they work.
  • Do not use glass, iron bar, fence, nether fence, etc. ANY block that acts like a fence or glass blocks. Use double thick layered walls around your town vault, LWC's, and even cover those with not one, but two dirt for the ultimate protection.
  • Use double "Air Locks" these are 2 doorways, they're both filled with 2 dirt blocks each, and do not EVER open both at the same time. EVER. I repeat, EVER. Open one side. Let yourself in. Check your surroundings and close it up. Double check your surroundings. Open the other side. And make sure all areas near your doors are very well lit at all times.
  • When clearing floors and digging farms, keep all your areas lit or you will violate the dark room rule and they might backfill your land with solid stone.
  • For recruitment I recommend low/no taxes.
  • For town plots I recommend either free storage or cheap plots that people can afford as newbies. But if you go cheap enough that they can vote for two days and buy it, you'll get your space filled with lots of cobblestone homes and it'll end up ugly.
  • If you seek some PVP, I recommend defending your territory from "Invaders" but I wouldn't be hardcore about it. Just if they're poking around too long. Be sneaky and see what they're doing and try to jump them.
  • Run on donations, and have a few managers setup as recruiters, region managers, architects, spies, etc. Useful ranks, (all unofficial, we can't make custom ranks in HTTP yet.)
  • Try to familiarize yourself with any known plugins you know about the server, and what it uses. There isn't a list I can think of where to show you what some of them are, but you might be able to ask around more about town protection, region protection, chest protections, and /town commands among other things. edit: yes I know some of this is on the Wiki.
  • You'll also need to understand travelling around on herocraft is a bit different than most servers, including vanilla.
  • You can walk / run on foot. You can use herogates. You can use ports, teleports, groupteleports, depending on your class. You can mark / recall, and now there is the new runestone system (expensive imho). There are also dragons you can travel like flight paths, called Dragon Travel. I believe that one is a donor perk. There are movement enhancing skills like Accelerando from Bard, and One from Samurai, as well as things like Blink, and Jump. Those help you get around faster and get into things. =]
And that's just the tip of the iceberg of town management.. I don't have time right now to give you more advice. You also have already stated some good ideas on town management I can see that you've picked up. That's about it for now..

Edit:

Final things to consider:

Logistics - How do you gather your materials? Can you travel safely?
Politics - Alliances, Your enemies will be many.
Resource Management - How can you protect your resources? Is it exploitable? Can people join you and grief it all and get banned, only to have you completely suffer? HINT: USE LWCS! Use townbank! (not refundable! so before you do, make sure you're going through with it!)
Region Management - Is your area safe from Area Effect spells, and skills that can hit you through walls? Is it exploitable?
Storage Management

ShadowRavynn

Max Legacy Supporter
  • For recruitment I recommend low/no taxes.
    • This works really well, advertising no taxes, I have been doing this for a couple months or more. However, if you DO choose to do this, be prepared to mine alot and completely foot the bill for your town.
  • For town plots I recommend either free storage or cheap plots that people can afford as newbies. But if you go cheap enough that they can vote for two days and buy it, you'll get your space filled with lots of cobblestone homes and it'll end up ugly.
    • this is also true. Everyone wants to build. Always. Especially new people to the server. I would recommend setting up an "INN" of sorts - free to noobs until you find out if they are staying or not. It gives them space to store their stuff and they feel like they have something. Then you can either upgrade them to larger apartments and/or they can buy a plot to build a house on. I recommend laying out your town and having plots and everything planned out as much as possible before you start building and outline plots with signs of cost to buy and size of said plot.
  • If you seek some PVP, I recommend defending your territory from "Invaders" but I wouldn't be hardcore about it. Just if they're poking around too long. Be sneaky and see what they're doing and try to jump them.

Politics - Alliances, Your enemies will be many.
When you claim your land - which is the second part of creating your town - it will announce your location to the entire server. Your enemies - which is a whole slew of peeps, will come running to your location and camp you and make it so you cant do any building or anything really except hide out. Yes, you can try to go mining or something on a different world... but one word... RANGER....
Resource Management - How can you protect your resources? Is it exploitable? Can people join you and grief it all and get banned, only to have you completely suffer? HINT: USE LWCS! Use townbank! (not refundable! so before you do, make sure you're going through with it!)
My personal routine for this - I use a personal region within my town for my treasury. if you keep blocks on it - and YES use LWCS for the most valuable of even this area - only the people who have both town and personal region perms - can access these chests.

Just my two cents!

CanDoBlue

Legacy Supporter 6
I recommend you do not listen to canada_blue. If you want my reasons for this opinion (negative) then click the spoiler below.

He has been trying to make town after town work and fails miserably. Partly because he can not resist trolling, and even if its just the little things, they add up and he pisses people off. I've also seen him do some very sketchy shit like locking random noobs in his trading shop and forcing them to buy "something" to let them out. Then, going as far as telling them to buy even more and continuing to harrass them afterwards. He has a bad reputation in my eyes.. Primarily because he's hungout in TS3 and said some shit while he probably thought I was cool with it, and I'm not. (No offense canada_blue, but you should've acted more appropiate. Also, this isn't meant to slander you directly however I do not want you recruiting noobs from an OS town into more of your twisted "plans")

I love xexorian for all of his kind thoughts about me. Everything in the Spoiler is TRUE. I have done all of those things to players. I love to have fun in Herocraft, it's a GAME. Anyways, I look out for Me & Mine. Join the family or get messed with, the choice is clear.

P.S. I wish there was a way to make that my Sig.

Dreamcycler

Legacy Supporter 5
I love xexorian for all of his kind thoughts about me. Everything in the Spoiler is TRUE. I have done all of those things to players. I love to have fun in Herocraft, it's a GAME. Anyways, I look out for Me & Mine. Join the family or get messed with, the choice is clear.

P.S. I wish there was a way to make that my Sig.

<3
Anyway finger I would listen to xexo's advice. I really think you should wait on making a town, save ya alot of suffering

Okay so based on what you pro's are saying, I should wait before making our hamlet. I'm not sure if Shadeslayer365 will follow me or even listen to your advice but I will. Thanks for your advice.

To Canada_Blue: I will listen to my king on what he said about you, sorry.