• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Spell Names

DaPGrey

Wood
  • [Plugin] - Skills
I've always enjoyed some good roleplay, and being a mage, I grew tired of the skill names being 'battery' and 'web' instead of actual spell names. I feel we could add another level of roleplay by giving the skills a spellname as well as their skillname.
Soes... I have translated some of the skill names into Greek, and changed some of the words endings to make it sound more mage-ish. I thought maybe the [Skill] could have the player shouting the spell? (They may need to be shortened a tad :3)

These spell names wouldn't replace the skills names, you would still do /skill [skillnamehere]. They would merely be 'shouted' by the player casting them, instead of (or in addition to) the [Skill] plugin saying 'xxBLAHBLAHxx used Drainsoul on Creeper' it would say 'xxBLAHBLAHxx shouts Afairophysique towards Creeper!'

Tell me what you think so far. (I'll add more spells later)

Afairophysique - Drainsoul
Toxikonum - Poison
Fthoro - Decay
Amanitarion - Mana Transfer (Dark Ritual)
Epanafortisus - Battery
Istobleko - Entangle (Web)
Apelpisios - Despair
Ginomaidisthanes - BecomeDeath
Volida - Fireball
Ekrixipyrokias - Fireblast
Klotsisius - Kick

DuskWolfMC

Obsidian
Creative, but I don't think I could handle the gibberish spell names. ARIMFEXINDRAWARPUS...

AEMFLAXAND-... I don't even knew what I typed anymore...

=o So confusing.

BrusLi44

Legacy Supporter 4
It's a good idea , but these greek names are so hard to read , maybe an english-ing wouldn't be bad .
IE : Afairophysique = Apheropys

Jasquan

Legacy Supporter 9
Herocraft isn't a RP server, it's a RPG server. The spell names for most of the spells are fine, and easy to understand.
The names are meant to be easy to understand, not having roleplaying value. Even in actual RP games (Dungeon and Dragons, and alike) they use proper names and not some greek gibberish that only greek understand. (Take Web for example. D&D 4.0)

EDIT: And to be honest, which would make more sense?
Kick vs. Klotsisius. It would be understandable with actual SPELLS but not really that much with skills. (spells; fireball, bolt, mend. skills; kick, envenom, bash)

EDIT2: The Thu'um is weak here.

what777

Max Legacy Supporter
Then I wouldnt understand what people were using on me and I can't easily counter it.
This is a RPG server not RP, we don't need Greek or whatever names for everything.

DaPGrey

Wood
what777 said:
Then I wouldnt understand what people were using on me and I can't easily counter it.
Hmmm, yes, I didn't think of that. I suppose that because I am the one that translated them, I know which is which very easily, but if someone uses, say, SuperKick (or is it called FlyingKick?) on you, you would know to try a ForcePull or something on them.

I did say...
DaPGrey said:
These spell names wouldn't replace the skills names, you would still do /skill [skillnamehere]. They would merely be 'shouted' by the player casting them, instead of (or in addition to) the [Skill] plugin...
So, it could still be done with you still knowing what skill they are using.. but that would, I believe become a bit spammy, and redundant.

I could, instead of basing them around the greek bases, base the spell names around their english variants? Fireball would be something like Fiehrorb but.. that just looks and sounds like you're spelling fire wrong.

In the end, it seems this idea isn't the best for this server :/ Thanks for helping me realise that.

::EDIT:: Isn't it a bit odd and somewhat hipocritical that, Jasquan, you said 'The Thu'um is weak here.'? First of all, it's hipocritical because anyone who doesn't play Skyrim or the Elderscrolls games, would not know what that is, when you were just complaining about people not knowing what words are... and secondly, very odd, as it translates into 'The DRAGONSHOUT is weak here.' yeah.. that makes sense?

DaPGrey

Wood
Mmm... there's a difference between nerdy and roleplay. But, if you're really that concerned about having a 'nerdy' reputation, you shouldn't be playing minecraft.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
While it's interesting - the only other language we'd be using would be LATIN. Since it is heavily referenced in the dark arts and various satanic (and catholic) rituals.

The thing I can take away from this is the want for skills to be more "lore/rp" friendly, I can agree with this and will be having change come in for this :)

DaPGrey

Wood
Righty then... tell me what you think. Also, on this I will give everyone the individual word meanings, as well as the 'spell' so necessary changes can be made.

Adficorpus - Drainsoul
Adficio - to Drain
Capio - to Take
Anima/Animas/Animus - Soul
Corpus/Corporis - Body
Infecio - Poison
Venefirous* - Poison
Inficio/Infeci/Infectum - to Poison
WILL EDIT AFTER SWIMMING TO ADD IN MORE WORDS

Jasquan

Legacy Supporter 9
Righty then... tell me what you think. Also, on this I will give everyone the individual word meanings, as well as the 'spell' so necessary changes can be made.

Adficorpus - Drainsoul
Adficio - to Drain
Capio - to Take
Anima/Animas/Animus - Soul
Corpus/Corporis - Body
Infecio - Poison
Venefirous* - Poison
Inficio/Infeci/Infectum - to Poison
WILL EDIT AFTER SWIMMING TO ADD IN MORE WORDS

Instead of actually being greek/latin, why not just make it more RP like, if that's what Kainzo wants..?
Actually... I can't think of any more RP-esque names for the skills o_o
Well, Jump could of course be leap. Leap is so mucher cooler than jump. ( leap1 )

DaPGrey

Wood
Yes, leap is definitely much cooler and rpg sounding than jump... I'll still write down a lot of spells and such and the Latin words, but I'll also try to think of simply 'English variations' if you will, of some skills.

leap1

Iron
Instead of actually being greek/latin, why not just make it more RP like, if that's what Kainzo wants..?
Actually... I can't think of any more RP-esque names for the skills o_o
Well, Jump could of course be leap. Leap is so mucher cooler than jump. ( leap1 )

You had to make fun of my name.... shesh... but your right. Anyway, Spell names and casting, should all be done within the classes of HeroCraft Correct? If memory serves me well... Skills, Feats, Classes, and Well as know as Powers or Ablility Scores all effect the spell mentally and phycially as its conjured. With that, you may have a Miss, and or an effect towards your enemy. Your Enemy may be weak or nonweak to the spell.

(Refrence DnD Player's Handbook Version 4.3)