• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Some quick leveling changes

Irishman81

Senior Staff
Guide
Architect
Balance Team
Legacy Supporter 7
Just wanted to get some thoughts down on the forums because we can't get anything concrete in ts.

Currently, the amount of experience needed to get from level 50 to level 60 is around 42% of the total amount needed to level a class. The amount of experience granted for killing the regular mobs in a tier 6 dungeon is 390 per mob, and it's not like the mobs are easy to kill, they average around 4,600 health. The elites as well do not put out nearly enough exp, with a meager 850 experience for 8,400 health. Not to mention that they have a skill "hungering maw" which is 95% of the time unable to be dodged, deals around 1.5-2 hearts, and has a insanely low cooldown of around 3-5 seconds.

Also going into mob skills, the amount of times I have been killed due to fall damage by being tossed 4 times in a row by mobs is insanely high, and there needs to be some sort of global cooldown on a player once they have already been tossed. I think teleporting to a player is absolutely fine and prevents exploiting, just as long as the cooldown on that skill isn't insanely low as well.

Moving on to the bosses, the amount of skills or at least the low cooldowns of these skills make bosses very very challenging, even with a large coordinated group. Often the boss can focus down a single player in a very short amount of time, adding in several teleports, tosses, and lock on skills; combined with the large amount of regulars/elites surrounding the boss, making even group leveling a challenge. I know I pretty much always ignore the boss in the dungeon, as the amount of exp granted for the amount of death/loss of time they cause isn't really worth it.

Now don't get me wrong, quests are incredibly helpful and make the tremendously long leveling process shorter, but I think that quests in conjunction with higher base exp rates for mobs will make the leveling process much more desirable and fun for the playerbase.

What would I do to fix these concerns?
  • Increase the exp granted for killing regular, elites, and bosses in t5+ dungeons by a considerable amount (I would have to kill almost 1.1k regular mobs to get max level with a class)
  • Lower the rate at which Mobs can toss a player
  • Decrease the damage and Increase the cooldown on the skill Hungering Maw
  • Slightly decrease the cooldown of the quests in a dungeon. I think 6-8 hour cooldown is more than fair
  • Spread out the spawnpoints for mobs in some dungeons: I find myself getting surrounded very quickly sometimes
@Balance Team @Kainzo @xexorian

Irishman81

Senior Staff
Guide
Architect
Balance Team
Legacy Supporter 7
Just wanted to get some thoughts down on the forums because we can't get anything concrete in ts.

Currently, the amount of experience needed to get from level 50 to level 60 is around 42% of the total amount needed to level a class. The amount of experience granted for killing the regular mobs in a tier 6 dungeon is 390 per mob, and it's not like the mobs are easy to kill, they average around 4,600 health. The elites as well do not put out nearly enough exp, with a meager 850 experience for 8,400 health. Not to mention that they have a skill "hungering maw" which is 95% of the time unable to be dodged, deals around 1.5-2 hearts, and has a insanely low cooldown of around 3-5 seconds.

Also going into mob skills, the amount of times I have been killed due to fall damage by being tossed 4 times in a row by mobs is insanely high, and there needs to be some sort of global cooldown on a player once they have already been tossed. I think teleporting to a player is absolutely fine and prevents exploiting, just as long as the cooldown on that skill isn't insanely low as well.

Moving on to the bosses, the amount of skills or at least the low cooldowns of these skills make bosses very very challenging, even with a large coordinated group. Often the boss can focus down a single player in a very short amount of time, adding in several teleports, tosses, and lock on skills; combined with the large amount of regulars/elites surrounding the boss, making even group leveling a challenge. I know I pretty much always ignore the boss in the dungeon, as the amount of exp granted for the amount of death/loss of time they cause isn't really worth it.

Now don't get me wrong, quests are incredibly helpful and make the tremendously long leveling process shorter, but I think that quests in conjunction with higher base exp rates for mobs will make the leveling process much more desirable and fun for the playerbase.

What would I do to fix these concerns?
  • Increase the exp granted for killing regular, elites, and bosses in t5+ dungeons by a considerable amount (I would have to kill almost 1.1k regular mobs to get max level with a class)
  • Slightly decrease the cooldown of the quests in a dungeon. I think 6-8 hour cooldown is more than fair
  • Spread out the spawnpoints for mobs in some dungeons: I find myself getting surrounded very quickly sometimes
@Balance Team @Kainzo @xexorian
Also wanted to quickly add, I haven't just been leveling alone. I've tried leveling alone, in a party ranging from 3-8 people, even with boosts haha. I think if we incorporate these changes the leveling experience will be 10x better for everyone.

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
1: Yes
2: Yes
3: Please god yes
4: No opinion, haven't really touched quests too much
5: Yeah, I've walked to fight one mob and been surrounded by 4-5 in no time

joshtsai

Legacy Supporter 2
I've spent a decent-ish amount of time in the dungeons, with the most time in Redhand Keep and Ivory City. So most of my experience comes from there.(honestly my knowledge about the other dungeons pretty much stops at where some of the bosses are and where the portals to the next dungeons are)

As for the cool downs for the mod skills:
I agree. The mobs simply output massive amounts of damage. Although pve damage is higher than that in pvp, it can still take a long while to just kill one mob.

As for leveling exp:
The only reason why it's so easy to get to the 40s is because of the low EXP needed. While this is an interesting concept, one designed to make the leveling experience harder while not taking away from the pvp abilities of classes(classes have most of their skills at the lower levels) it can also be very discouraging for people trying to level. The level 50+ grind is a real thing and because of it most people just give up in leveling. It just stands that the exp to be gained doesn't make a dent in your exa bar. To me this is very discouraging to other players. If you are lucky enough to be in a group that understands how to do quests it can be a lot better. But it seems like a lot of players don't want to team up with other people and form proper alliances. I believe those people have yet to go into the higher leveled dungeons perhaps out of fear for pvp. But the point still stands that you need a focused group to tackle higher levels quests.

Overall the system to me is very unbalanced for higher leveled classes. I think it should be hard, but not at the point where people give up on finishing their classes.

Irishman81

Senior Staff
Guide
Architect
Balance Team
Legacy Supporter 7
So increasing the exp is something we can definitely do.

However, the quests exp will not be increased.
Wasn't my intention no. What about the cooldown on quests? Maybe not the one for bosses but the elites/normal ones is a tad too long. The quests also reset upon death which is somewhat discouraging.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Wasn't my intention no. What about the cooldown on quests? Maybe not the one for bosses but the elites/normal ones is a tad too long. The quests also reset upon death which is somewhat discouraging.
We can decrease these to 8 hours. I'll need to look into it.