• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Some ideas for Scribe

Favith

Legacy Supporter 7
So I've been leveling Scribe just for the fun of it (level 35 currently) and, as expected, it's largely a waste. I had seen Kainzo say before that Scribe was a class that was just thrown together because he liked the idea of a scholarly profession and that changes would likely come. I've only ever seen one other Scribe online and he's been in his 20's forever, so clearly the profession just isn't that appealing in its current state.

I have a few minor suggestions that might help make it a *bit* more useful without making it crazy OP:

1) Limit book and quill creation (IE, player-created written books) to Scribes only. This may already be the case, I haven't actually asked a non-scribe to test and see if they can make a book. :oops: If it isn't the case it should be since other craft professions have exclusive use rights to things associated with their jobs (sticky pistons, chest shots, Craftbook ICs, etc).

2) Allow the SafeFallOther skill to be used on the scribe. Make the reagent cost higher if you need to in order to balance it out, but right now giving someone else SafeFall is less than useful. This might be marginally beneficial to a combat class that already has SafeFall for themselves, but for everyone else it's next to pointless.

3) I'm not sure if this can be done, but give scribes the ability to "copy" a book that they've written. I know there are SMP mods out there that can do this (and I know SMP mods won't work here) but I don't know if that concept can be coded into the HC architecture or not. This would encourage scribes to write books (I can think of a few awesome scavenger hunt ideas that my town could host for the server if I could mass-produce books easily) and serve a function more in line with their namesake.

4) Allow scribes to gain xp from creating books. A small amount to prevent mass producing one-word books (as if the leather shortage wouldn't do that already), but something. You can get a small amount of xp from breaking stone so a scribe should logically get some xp for making a book I would think. Maybe a little more for making bookshelves?

5) Gives scribes the "fishing" ability that farmers get. Why? I dunno--because Fishing is a pain and I really want it? :D We can say that Scribes have read a lot of BassPro magazine and by obtaining such great knowledge about fishing they can now fish as good as any farmer? Hey--it's a thought! (note: this suggestion is only half serious--please Farmers of HC, don't kill me!)

Just a few thoughts to make this profession more attractive without completely overpowering it. Like anyone else who even thinks about taking up Scribe I'm looking forward to the one ability it has that might be somewhat useful: Gills.

And I don't get that until I master the profession:eek: .

bfittipaldi

Legacy Supporter 7
This seems like it would be very helpful, most people don't go Scribe because they call it a "Useless Class". Some buffs would could really change that

mikehk

Legacy Supporter 6
damn you! im a farmer! i deserve that fishing! lol JK. IDK if they should get fishing, but i DO love the other ideas, esp the mass book producing, maybe use 1 leather to copy a book immediatly, so they can maybe make bookshops to sell or something, instead of 1 book every now and then.

Scribes are kinda hard to change. Minecraft is so limited on education. They should be able to make books alot easier then the current way. Maybe change it back to before using a new false book?