• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

So.... I have heard about this... and it is worrying me a bit...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evanist

Legacy Supporter 3
So today some of my friends told me about something that Mojang is supposely planning on doing... and with all the mods and what happens in this server, I am starting to get a bit worried with the changes. If you look at the front page of the MCF forums, you can find this:
From the mcf forums said:
Mojang responds directly to questions about the EULA (both current, and future versions), tackling a number of hot topics relating to servers head on. Hopefully, this will answer a number of questions that have been flying around for the last few days!

Owen: said:
Hello!

Let’s get one thing clear: we love it when Minecrafters host servers. Tiny or massive, running vanilla Minecraft or a heavily modded version, we think they’re all great. Playing with friends in persistent worlds is awesome. Everyone knows that.

Over the past week there’s been lots of discussion about Minecraft servers and your right to monetise them. Legally, you are not allowed to make money from our products. There has been one exception to this rule so far – Minecraft videos. We’re about to make a second exception – Minecraft servers.
Hosting servers can be expensive. We want to give community members a way to cover their costs. That said, we don’t want our players to be exploited, or to have a frustrating time unless they pay. The following rules, which may be tweaked at a later date, have been created with those points in mind.

You are allowed to charge players to access your server

So long as the fee is the same for all players, you are allowed to charge for access to your server. You are not allowed to split your playerbase into paying, and non-paying users, nor can you restrict gameplay elements to different tiers of player.

Basically, if you’re charging for access to your server, you are selling a “ticket” and there can only be one type of ticket, no matter how much people are willing to spend.

You are allowed to accept donations

You are allowed to accept donation from your players. You can thank them publicly, or in-game, but can’t give them preferential treatment for donating. You are not allowed to restrict gameplay features in an attempt to make money.

You are allowed to provide in-game advertising or sponsorship opportunities

Running servers can be expensive, with that in mind, you are allowed to put adverts in your Minecraft worlds to help with costs. Used within reason, adverts and sponsorship can be good ways to fund a server.
You are allowed to sell in-game items so long as they don’t affect gameplay
We don’t mind you selling items in game, but they must be purely cosmetic. Pets, hats, and particle effects are OK, but swords, invincibility potions, and man-eating pigs are not. We want all players to be presented with the same gameplay features, whether they decide to pay or not.
There is one exception to this rule – capes! We have a lot of fun making cool capes for extra-special members of our community and Minecon attendees. We’d like to keep them as exclusive as possible. So, yeah, no capes please, for free or otherwise.

You cannot charge real-world cash for in-game currency

We don’t mind you making up currencies which players earn through playing but you are not allowed to sell it for real-world cash. Remember – if the stuff you sell affects gameplay, we’re not cool with it.
Don’t pretend to be us, and provide your customers with loads of info!
If you do decide to monetise your server, you must clearly state that the purchase is not associated with Mojang, declare who the money is going to, and provide a purchase history and contact details. You should also check up on the legality of selling digital items in your specific region.
Thanks for reading!

As I hope you’ve noticed, these rules are making attempts to prevent Minecraft servers becoming “pay-to-win.” We hate the idea of server hosts restricting Minecraft’s features to players who have already bought our game! It seems really mean.

We’re hoping that these rules will give hosts opportunity to continue creating awesome Minecraft worlds, and for our players to enjoy them without worrying about cash.

Have a good day!

Knowing about the donater tiers and such, this is making me a bit worried slightly. I look at this and I don't know what this will do to this server. What is worrying me is LWC and such from the donater tiers.

I don't know what this will do, but I though it might be good to have this info out. It is said purely cosmetics as said, so we would need to try to keep it cosmetic wise if this even happens.

I hope you guys understand my worries a bit at the moment. I know that server wise donaters don't get too much of a power up, but if they go strict with this, then it might cause trouble.

TimForReal

AdminForReal
Rules Council
Architect
Herald
Event Team
Max Legacy Supporter
So today some of my friends told me about something that Mojang is supposely planning on doing... and with all the mods and what happens in this server, I am starting to get a bit worried with the changes. If you look at the front page of the MCF forums, you can find this:

Knowing about the donater tiers and such, this is making me a bit worried slightly. I look at this and I don't know what this will do to this server. What is worrying me is LWC and such from the donater tiers.

I don't know what this will do, but I though it might be good to have this info out. It is said purely cosmetics as said, so we would need to try to keep it cosmetic wise if this even happens.

I hope you guys understand my worries a bit at the moment. I know that server wise donaters don't get too much of a power up, but if they go strict with this, then it might cause trouble.
This has been talked about several times already, in game and forums. Kainzo and his team will worry about it, we're most likely fine.

Evanist

Legacy Supporter 3
I hope so.... I know how great this server is, and I do not want it to have juridical problems.

LightningCape

Holy Shit!
"You are allowed to sell in-game items so long as they don’t affect gameplay
We don’t mind you selling items in game, but they must be purely cosmetic. Pets, hats, and particle effects are OK, but swords, invincibility potions, and man-eating pigs are not. We want all players to be presented with the same gameplay features, whether they decide to pay or not."
----------------------
With this I think HC is for the most part fine if mojang decides to turn around and end minecraft as we know it. The amount of bullshit in these responses from mojang is unreal though. Starting to believe the rumors about this being used to promote realms. Shameless

Evanist

Legacy Supporter 3
This is like the 3rd thread about this same topic. Huh.
... 3rd thread? I was looking for it and did not see it. So ya.... probably talk inside the staff and such.
Still, I just hope that everything will end up fine... cause seriously I feel like this is kinda a backstab from mojang atm.

0xNaomi

Legacy Supporter 6
Retired Staff
"You are allowed to sell in-game items so long as they don’t affect gameplay
We don’t mind you selling items in game, but they must be purely cosmetic. Pets, hats, and particle effects are OK, but swords, invincibility potions, and man-eating pigs are not. We want all players to be presented with the same gameplay features, whether they decide to pay or not."
----------------------
With this I think HC is for the most part fine if mojang decides to turn around and end minecraft as we know it. The amount of bullshit in these responses from mojang is unreal though. Starting to believe the rumors about this being used to promote realms. Shameless
Since the thread topic is repeated, I hold no shame in repeating that we need man-eating pigs.

pure_autism

Legacy Supporter 5
... 3rd thread? I was looking for it and did not see it. So ya.... probably talk inside the staff and such.
Still, I just hope that everything will end up fine... cause seriously I feel like this is kinda a backstab from mojang atm.
http://herocraftonline.com/main/threads/changes-to-servers-herocraft-and-you.53069/
http://herocraftonline.com/main/threads/end-of-perks.52897/#post-415869

I win :D

But on a serious note, I hope this changes the shitty hardcore factions servers that are 130% pay to
win, boy do I hate those... This shouldn't affect HC at all, seeing as how we're pretty clean as far as perks go.

Evanist

Legacy Supporter 3
Ya.... only small things need to be changed.

Maybe lwcs... What I would sudgest if that does cause trouble would be everyone get 1 free lwc... but ya...

Status
Not open for further replies.