• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Smiths

draconis99

Holy
Retired Staff
Max Legacy Supporter
I would like to propose a change to the game that is going to be very contraversal. Many people will disagree with this change because it would make the game more difficult for them. I also belive that even though these people will disagree openly with this change, they will still have a reserved part of them that has to agree that this change makes sense.

Proposed change:

-Smiths should not have the transmute skill.
-Smiths be the only profession to be able to craft chainmail armor, diamond armor, and as well diamond tools (excluding miners. they should be able to craft diamond pickaxes as well).

Balancing professions

-Alchemists are the only players able to craft potions - all players may use them.
-Enchanters are the only players able to enchant - all players may use them.
-Masons are the only players able to build bridges and lifts - all players may use them.
-Engineers are the only players able to place pistons, redstone repeaters, or ICs - all players may use them.

and the other professions should have unique things too

-Merchants (were and should be again IMO) the only players able to create trade shops - all players may use them.
-Farmers should be the only profession able to breed and spawn animals.
-Smiths should be the only profession to be able to craft all things related to diamond.

Shops allow the easiest access for income. Animals allow for the easiest form of gaining leather and food. Lifts, bridges, and redstone contraptions allow for the best creations of home designs, functionality, and defence. As well, potions and enchants allow for players to fight at maximum potential, and it only makes sense that diamond weapons and armor be counted in the list of granting maximum potential in combat.

If the average player wants top notch edge over his opponents, he should buy potions, enchants, and diamond gear to have the advantage.

Roleplay Purposes

Smiths are the master crafters of all things metal. It makes no sense for every profession to be on par, or even better than crafting things having to do with metal (alchemists and chainmail) than a blacksmith. Blacksmiths should have skills in crafting metal beyond that of normal people. They are professionals in their trade and should be respected as such, yet in their current form, they can do almost nothing anyone else can't do.

-All players can repair items, and arguably as or more efficiently in most cases than the "repair" skill. Vanilla repairing by combining items together to increase durability is arguably the same cost as a smith's "repair" skill, creating one full durability item at half cost. And while the "repair" skill allows for some items to retain their enchants, vanilla repair is more beneficial in many cases because of the xp gain from it.
-All players are able to craft any item a blacksmith can create (more than a blacksmith with professions).

Smiths were the people villagers went to in order to obtain that skillfully crafted item to get the job done better than any ordinary person could craft. Smiths were able to work with metals and had access to forges in order to craft different metals. I believe such should be the case here. Smiths should be the only profession allowed to craft diamond armor (which is only used by 3 classes) and diamond tools (which is their way of giving players the upper hand in battle at a purchase, much like potions or enchants).

Players could still craft leather and iron, giving them normal proficciency, but diamond should be reserved for smiths.

Economical Purposes

Of the actual crafting professions, smith is at the bottom of the food chain. Alchemists can sell potions, enchanters can sell enchants, engineers their toys, masons their crafty work, and it only makes sense that smiths should be able to sell something to make people's lives easier as do the others. As it stands however, smiths live off of cooldowns and charging people paltry fees for these cooldowns. Giving smiths the ability to craft the best of gear for classes would allow for them to actually make some sales and feel like a crafting class.

Diamond gear is relatively useless by how available it has become. Iron gear, and iron in general is even more worthless. By making diamond gear and tools only craftable by smiths, the value of diamond objects will increase, stimulating the economy. It adds to the importance of taking care of your items, and makes those enchants more significant. As well, with only smiths able to craft diamond armor and tools, it causes players to craft more things out of iron, thus increasing the price of iron and stimulating the economy further.

Results

By taking away transmute ore and granting smiths the ability to be the only profession able to craft diamond armor and tools, we:
-Better balance out the profession
-Make smiths feel more like smiths
-Stimulate the economy and create better prices and trade

Yes, this does mean that you will lose the ability to craft diamond things if you are not a smith or miner. Please keep the whining about that to a minimum and view the benefits as a whole instead of seeming like a whining red-headed step-child as your wants and needs are insignificant when compared to the community as a whole. Constructive criticism only.

Halizu

ICE ICE ICE!
You certainly put a lot of effort into this! I couldn't agree more regarding your suggestions.

_KittyGotWet_

Banned
As painful as this seems for some people, I agree. This would benefit the role play purposes and economical purposes, just as he has stated. I agree with everything here but the what you've said about Merchants and Miners. Well, I kinda agree about Miners as long as TNT can't be used in harmful pruposes.

Hydroking77

Legacy Supporter 7
I'm not trying to troll, but one diamond is not a metal, and two every profession is a "master crafter".

LordSeven

Legacy Supporter 7
I think this change would be good for the economy, will encourage more social interaction.
I also think this should apply to gold as well as diamond.

Glent

Glowing Redstone
If they can craft diamond equipment, why wouldn't everyone be able to make chainmail? That makes no sense. Also, saying that vanilla repair is equal or "arguably better" than Herocraft repair is silly. In vanilla if you combine two about-to-break diamond swords you get one very damaged diamond sword, whereas in herocraft if you use a diamond to repair the sword you get it to full durability.

ICherry_girl

Glowstone
The smart thing about this suggestion is that most classes don't even need it so it won't be a major catastrophe, but the players who do need diamond tools/armor etc.. will definitely request it in trade chat.

I love this idea, and I support all endeavors of it.

draconis99

Holy
Retired Staff
Max Legacy Supporter
If they can craft diamond equipment, why wouldn't everyone be able to make chainmail? That makes no sense. Also, saying that vanilla repair is equal or "arguably better" than Herocraft repair is silly. In vanilla if you combine two about-to-break diamond swords you get one very damaged diamond sword, whereas in herocraft if you use a diamond to repair the sword you get it to full durability.
Point taken. I could have gone further on what I meant and stated the benefits and such of repairing, but this post was about crafting diamond and chain gear and tools. ;)

Faunherer

Legacy Supporter 4
I honestly wouldn't want all diamond tools to be creatable only by smiths. Maybe smiths can create all of them, and professions can only make their trade tool (farmer-diamond axe or hoe, miner-diamond pick, enchanter-diamond hoe).