• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Skill - Healing Lock

GhostOmar

Gold
Many clerics should notice that their keybinds exceed all other classes. For example, I am a cleric myself and I group with 3 other real life friends. I have their names bound to all my healing spells. It's a mess 1/3 of my keyboard is used just for healing. So my suggestion is to have a command to lock a certain player to all defensive spells of the healer. It could be something like /skill lock Shehab19. After typing that I could just use any healing command without a target and it will automatically target him. This will compacted all healer classes' skill binds from 4 commands per ally to 1. So from let's say /skill bandage Shehab19, /skill pray Shehab19, /skill chant Shehab19, and /skill dispel Shehab19 to just /skill lock Shehab19.

Roadkill909

ICE ICE ICE!
Many clerics should notice that their keybinds exceed all other classes. For example, I am a cleric myself and I group with 3 other real life friends. I have their names bound to all my healing spells. It's a mess 1/3 of my keyboard is used just for healing. So my suggestion is to have a command to lock a certain player to all defensive spells of the healer. It could be something like /skill lock Shehab19. After typing that I could just use any healing command without a target and it will automatically target him. This will compacted all healer classes' skill binds from 4 commands per ally to 1. So from let's say /skill bandage Shehab19, /skill pray Shehab19, /skill chant Shehab19, and /skill dispel Shehab19 to just /skill lock Shehab19.

An interesting solution to the key problem with antidote, pray, chant, bandage, dispel, and others.

Unfortunately with these skills it is incredibly frustrating to use no-arg key binds. If you aim your bind at an ally, and miss, you slow down and start healing yourself. You then have to cancel and try again. What further compounds the problem is that the targeted player system is incredibly sensitive. The slightest lag or movement of your allies will break it entirely.

Many users try to overcome this by implementing what I like to call "Key-Bind Hell." You bind all your allies to various items or keys. It requires five plus minutes of you being incredibly vulnerable and messing around with menus or commands. You may also have to redo all your binds when players leave or join the party.

Back in the mob arena days, some healers actually found "Key-bind hell" too frustrating, as parties would change with each new game. Healers would sit in the back, completely immobile, manually typing in commands as frantically as they could. Basically it turned the herocraft healer experience into a text-based MUD.

Unfortunately your solution still requires binding allies' names, which I have a great distaste for. I think we might be better off looking into improving the targeted-player system, removing the default heal-self option, adding in more AOE skills or skills like Ampul, or maybe altering Heroclient so that you can select the health bar of the partymember you wish to heal with ctrl+mousewheel or something.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
An interesting solution to the key problem with antidote, pray, chant, bandage, dispel, and others.

Unfortunately with these skills it is incredibly frustrating to use no-arg key binds. If you aim your bind at an ally, and miss, you slow down and start healing yourself. You then have to cancel and try again. What further compounds the problem is that the targeted player system is incredibly sensitive. The slightest lag or movement of your allies will break it entirely.

Many users try to overcome this by implementing what I like to call "Key-Bind Hell." You bind all your allies to various items or keys. It requires five plus minutes of you being incredibly vulnerable and messing around with menus or commands. You may also have to redo all your binds when players leave or join the party.

Back in the mob arena days, some healers actually found "Key-bind hell" too frustrating, as parties would change with each new game. Healers would sit in the back, completely immobile, manually typing in commands as frantically as they could. Basically it turned the herocraft healer experience into a text-based MUD.

Unfortunately your solution still requires binding allies' names, which I have a great distaste for. I think we might be better off looking into improving the targeted-player system, removing the default heal-self option, adding in more AOE skills or skills like Ampul, or maybe altering Heroclient so that you can select the health bar of the partymember you wish to heal with ctrl+mousewheel or something.
I wish there was a way to hold "alt" while right-clicking to make it so you can't heal yourself.

Roadkill909

ICE ICE ICE!
I wish there was a way to hold "alt" while right-clicking to make it so you can't heal yourself.

As I said, remove the default heal-self option. People can bind their own names. Two binds per skill is better than one for each party member and yourself.

I personally would prefer doing what The Elder Scrolls does: split Heal-self and Heal-other into different skills. Also we could add more targeted healing-over-time skills. Makes more interesting balance options and you can bring back that idea to make clearics self-healing options less powerful.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
As I said, remove the default heal-self option. People can bind their own names. Two binds per skill is better than one for each party member and yourself.

I personally would prefer doing what The Elder Scrolls does: split Heal-self and Heal-other into different skills. Also we could add more targeted healing-over-time skills. Makes more interesting balance options and you can bring back that idea to make clearics self-healing options less powerful.
Hmm, making it not target yourself auto, wouldnt be a bad fix... I think that's not a bad idea but not too sure how to implement it.

GhostOmar

Gold
I agree with you Roadkill909 but as you said

You may also have to redo all your binds when players leave or join the party.

With having the lock you will only have the need to change each name once not 6 times for 1 spell.

As for the not being able to target yourself I think that would be a great implementation. Which means you have to look at people and cast, in my POV it isnt that bad but people with slight delay would disagree. Also, Kainzo if it is going to be implemented make sure casting the same spell while channeling does not interupt it.

huntmoak

ICE ICE ICE!
One problem with this healing lock idea, Let's say you go to an event, healing your buddies real good, then ALL OF A SUDDEN, a ghast blasts it's fire ball at you, your down to 60hp, and try to heal, it doesn't work, why? Oh. it heals your locked player, Not yourself, you die, and your party loses its healer.

Haxnn

Legacy Supporter 3
One problem with this healing lock idea, Let's say you go to an event, healing your buddies real good, then ALL OF A SUDDEN, a ghast blasts it's fire ball at you, your down to 60hp, and try to heal, it doesn't work, why? Oh. it heals your locked player, Not yourself, you die, and your party loses its healer.

Then set a heal lock bind to yourself or just disable the skill (which I assume you could do) and fight normally.

0xNaomi

Legacy Supporter 6
Retired Staff
My use is far from the best solution, but for individual heals I have two binds - one with no name for self or in-your-face heals and another with the player mapped as $$f then having all others in that list.
Only issues are it stops when you use the macro to choose the player to heal and the code for that in the macro mod isn't the most stable.

GhostOmar

Gold
It would be smart if u lock yourself too..

Eldrylars

Legacy Supporter 8
Self Heal/Heal Other = Simple and great option
Healing Lock = Brilliant solution for simple targeted healing. Quick bind the healing lock to the names of the people in your party and then use your normal heal binds instead of 4 heal binds per player.

Current system with 4 binds per 10 person group = 36 binds
Healing lock implemented with a 10 person group = 14 binds