• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion [Server] Allocate Supporter Funds to Developers

leftovers5

Legacy Supporter 8
TheAncientTeam, hilltim1, MajorasMask, a few others, and I were talking and we decided that in the best interest of the server, a portion of supporter money should go to paying developers for their work. This gives them a real incentive to continue working on the server and fixing some of our current issues. Further, it's more practical than simply upgrading hardware.

-Left

TimForReal

AdminForReal
Rules Council
Architect
Herald
Event Team
Max Legacy Supporter
TheAncientTeam did bring up a valid point, figured it would make a good suggestion!

MajorasMask

Ungodly
Indeed. Less money should be going to swapping hardware ever week, and more should go to paying developers.

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
Just saying we do give hand outs to our devs.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Indeed. Less money should be going to swapping hardware ever week, and more should go to paying developers.
The hardware we purchased is for our side-grade servers. FTB|HeroGames|Creative.
So I dont think you or @Leftovers knows what's going on or misread what was stated several times.
----------------------------------------------------------

I'll make a point to state that when we do have extra and can spare, we usually "gift" our developers.

If we were to pay devs an "hourly" wage - it would be $1-2, a "laughable" at best rate.

The Herocraft Development team is and until we release an indie-game that is sold, will be a volunteer project.
Coders - can chime in if you want :)

Now if you think we should get free-lances to push projects along faster, that's a possibility, but our devs are trusted, experienced and know how to code, it just takes time.

TheYeti

Raaaawr!
Legacy Supporter 8
As a professional freelance programmer and a plugin dev I figured I would weigh in on this. As to hiring freelancers to advance project completion, that is a massively double edged sword. First off most freelancers aren't going to be familiar with the Minecraft community or how to create plugins for it. Yes, they could learn the API's that are needed but that is generally expensive and time consuming. Not only that, if they don't play Minecraft already, they aren't going to know how to test what they are developing or even have a way to test it. This means that freelancers would have to be found that have the knowledge needed, and that is an extremely small subgroup.

Next comes the pricing of freelancers. We are an expensive group. Add in development time on top of that. Most freelancers work on multiple projects & contracts at the same time. Which one gets priority depends on what the client is paying balanced by the deadline. The more you pay, the more priority that the project gets to get it done closer to deadline and the higher quality the work is.

To use me as an example, I am friendly with Kainzo and thus wouldn't charge him full price. Even still, he is looking at $1000+ to get me to create a single plugin, provided it is a simple plugin and could be completed within a week. If this was just some random person that I didn't know and I was charging my full price, depending on the complexity of what they wanted and when they wanted it by (which is usually immediately because people have no concept of development timetables or accurate deadlining) you are looking at $2000-$5000. And that is for one single plugin that takes me anywhere from 40-60 hours to make including testing, documentation, and development. That doesn't even include the time spent on project setup, paperwork, or design.

Currently there isn't much that can be done to reduce lag. What can be done is being worked on and explored, but the limitation lays majorly with the server software itself, that being the minecraft server. I'm sure Kainzo is doing everything he can to try to mitigate the problem and find solutions. He has some of the best programmers in the community "working" for him and on his team. Have faith that they play the game also and hate lag just as much as everyone else does.

Roadkill909

ICE ICE ICE!
On other servers the staff sometimes gives donation perks to developers depending on their level of work. It makes sense given that exclusive plugins and skills can at times be just as valuable a donation as money. It doesn't cost the server anything and gives the developers a nice incentive.

You might be able to entice a little more work out of the community by offering exclusive in-game titles or things out of the store for new skills, or even tier levels for whole plugins.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
On other servers the staff sometimes gives donation perks to developers depending on their level of work. It makes sense given that exclusive plugins and skills can at times be just as valuable a donation as money. It doesn't cost the server anything and gives the developers a nice incentive.

You might be able to entice a little more work out of the community by offering exclusive in-game titles or things out of the store for new skills, or even tier levels for whole plugins.
Programmers on the server inherit Tier 8 ($150) ... (or highest supporter tier)... and unlimited reserve.

This isn't advertised that often... they also get [Dev] titles, etc.

:)

madpear

Legacy Supporter 5
I wouldn't write code outside of work unless I really wanted to anyway. The theoretical amount I'm paid wouldn't make a difference since I'm doing it for love of the game and I'm quite certain a modded Minecraft server wouldn't make enough coin to make it worth my while if I were doing it for the money. That being said, 40 hrs a week is enough coding for me and I appreciate the work the volunteers keep doing to make this server interesting.

Zidane

Gold
I'd say TheYeti 's number is almost lowball.

Personally I charge clients ~100/hr (and yes I have people lining up) and 100+ hrs on the more extensive plugins is pretty much gurrantee'd.

Most of you don't realize that the Minecraft server was designed for ~5-10 players at any given time. Not...what....120+? Its hit its breaking point, end of. The only hope everyone has for a lag free experience is get behind SpoutServer and have the community help finish it.

Roadkill909

ICE ICE ICE!
Offtopic but..

The only hope everyone has for a lag free experience is get behind SpoutServer and have the community help finish it.

Zidane Ya'll ever get someone working on AI? I'm just about to finish an undergraduate course on AI and late next month I'll be looking for a way to practice Depth/Breadth/Greedy Search or Genetic algorithms in minecraft. Might as well contribute to a community if I can.