• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Rings around Cities -Visibility Issue

PvP is illegal inside of rings. Making rings out of materials that are clearly visible on the minimap would help avoid issues greatly.

Here's an example:

There's TWO different sets of rings in that minimap (made out of smoothstone). Can't see them clearly? Neither could I. And that's during the day. It's impossible to make them out at night in some places.

Perhaps if they were made out of obsidian or something dark and contrasty it would be easier.

Mikespillow

Legacy Supporter 7
Maybe you could take the half second out of your pk routine to look upward? It's not so hard, just push your mouse forward a bit.

Kaliven

Gold
Mikespillow said:
Maybe you could take the half second out of your pk routine to look upward? It's not so hard, just push your mouse forward a bit.

awww if only that worked... UNDERGROUND...

suuungkim

Stone
agreed with the whole visibility issue. accidentally killed someone within rings because it was hard to tell if the person was in the rings or not.

psychojake

Glowing Redstone
Hmmm, if they were made of obsidian, they would still be very light due to Zan's Map having higher things lighter colors.

psychojake said:
Hmmm, if they were made of obsidian, they would still be very light due to Zan's Map having higher things lighter colors.

You can turn that off though.

With it turned off obsidian rings show up VERY clearly. Doesn't change much for smoothstone though.

wolfgang784 said:
Maybe rings should be made of glass and lava by default?

It's not nearly as easy as you seem to think it is.

1. at night you can't even see them unless they're lit up regardless of material.

2. do you really think you have time to stop in the middle of a pvp event and stare at the sky for 10 seconds and count the blocks?

The other day I was sneaking up on a few guys outside of a town and was trying to determine where in the hell the rings where. Couldn't see them on the minimap or by looking up.

Seeing as PVP inside rings is a quick way to get banned knowing where they are clearly and by simple means (even if underground) is vital to a clean pvp environment.

AlexDaParrot

Legacy Supporter 5
Protip: Don't PvP close enough to an area that has rings so you don't have to worry about PvPing inside said rings.

On a side note, I like the way rings work at the moment. I also like the unit of choice given to anyone who has rings. The further work a town would have to do or the further a town would be limited because of PvPers who are not in the know would be excessive, and there would still be mistakes. It is like asking a police station to mark themselves on all the crooks' maps so that they didn't rob anyone within X radius where they can be punished actually. It is already marked with a huge ring in the sky, should we add noteblocks only playing in that radius as well just so that you don't by chance make a mistake because of being overaggressive? Hilarious.

wolfgang784

Legacy Supporter 3
Well we might just have to watch closely for now, realms is being worked on someone said isn't it? Or is it dead? because if it is mayors can real the entire ring with a welcome message to tell you.

Maybe towns could be forced to mark out the ring a bit? Just a 1 block high ring of cobble on the ground? That wouldn't be very hard and wouldn't take very long.

heres what i do keep hitting Z if u have the mini map till u get the full screen view even if your undwer ground u can still c it with the map and if your not underground then yea its not hard to look up and check

wolfgang784 said:
Well we might just have to watch closely for now, realms is being worked on someone said isn't it? Or is it dead? because if it is mayors can real the entire ring with a welcome message to tell you.

Maybe towns could be forced to mark out the ring a bit? Just a 1 block high ring of cobble on the ground? That wouldn't be very hard and wouldn't take very long.

Maybe a ring of redstone torches. I have no idea about the realms. I don't like the current square shape of whatever we're using now. Ends up going way outside of the rings on the corners for some cities (sky forge, looking at you)

Protip: Don't PvP close enough to an area that has rings so you don't have to worry about PvPing inside said rings.

PvP on this sort of game is a lot of work typically. In order to be a successful hunter you need to scour the lands and patrol certain areas regularly. 95% of the time any players who are on are inside of cities but they sometimes will stray outside the rings.

So with the PvP few and far between it sometimes necessitates coming near the rings.

AlexDaParrot

Legacy Supporter 5
In trying to get that extra kill outside the rings, you get the extra risk of possibly screwing up quite a good bit. That is a fair trade off as you are properly warned.

AlexDaParrot said:
In trying to get that extra kill outside the rings, you get the extra risk of possibly screwing up quite a good bit. That is a fair trade off as you are properly warned.

There's the added issue of visibility while underground.

Don't forget this affects the defending team too. If someone gets a little to close to your city and you kill them, it's your ass on the line too.

AlexDaParrot

Legacy Supporter 5
All I can say is don't PvP underground if you are close to a city. As someone posted earlier, realms will fix this issue with greetings. However, it won't be fun to make the complete circle around Artemis (A few hundred pylons of realming waypoints) just so that you don't come into our town and have an excuse to PvP our citizens on accident. Quite a sad world when you have to resort to hungering at a town's walls to PvP someone; I'd recommend looking around a bit more so you are 100% safe from PvPing inside towns who know how to realm decently when realms come out.

Ilsyde

Legacy Supporter 4
Just wanted to add that you can modify the block colors for Zan's minimap. The config file is under /bin if I remember right but can't double-check that from work at the moment. Every block has its own hexa color code, just look up the ones you want to edit and do it.
Not that I'd recommend changing standard stone from neutral gray to bright red... plus not everyone has the minimap installed.

Kaliven

Gold
If regions had a welcome text message, and an exit text message, and all Town owners were smart enough to set their regions at Y5ish on 1 corner and y125ish on the other, problem solved.

You can't break the rule if you CANT break the rule.

Surely accidents happen right?

Ravebear

Air
Kaliven said:
If regions had a welcome text message, and an exit text message

I thought of this, it would probably help, cuboid had this feature.

I guess you shouldn't rely on zans minimap and shouldn't be pvping on the edge D: