• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Return of the "No building or griefing within 100 blocks of a town" Rule

Haxnn

Legacy Supporter 3
So, looking this over, we can change how much chunks costs, how many chunks you get at lower tiers, and how much tax is.

What would be good changes that would help you protect whatever you want protected?
@Haxnn @Yavool @victim130

So far my town hasn't had any issues with cost, but we also haven't attempted to reach the higher tiers yet so I can't say how that is going to go. Increasing the chunks at lower tiers isn't a bad idea because the players that want to build will benefit from it and the towns that just want a safe box will be unaffected.

However, in my opinion the biggest issue is still the chunks that need to be wasted to create a buffer space around the town in order to prevent pillars or grieving. Any chunk that is not being built on is a waste of a chunk. I am very grateful that Kenneth_Chow has been incredibly helpful in offering to remove pillars and griefing around the perimeters of towns, but no one likes to bother the admins and mods over something like that. As it stands I still very strongly believe that re-implementing the original, no griefing or building within 100 blocks of a town (or even 50 if 100 is deemed too much), rule would be the best solution to this problem.

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
So far my town hasn't had any issues with cost, but we also haven't attempted to reach the higher tiers yet so I can't say how that is going to go. Increasing the chunks at lower tiers isn't a bad idea because the players that want to build will benefit from it and the towns that just want a safe box will be unaffected.

However, in my opinion the biggest issue is still the chunks that need to be wasted to create a buffer space around the town in order to prevent pillars or grieving. Any chunk that is not being built on is a waste of a chunk. I am very grateful that Kenneth_Chow has been incredibly helpful in offering to remove pillars and griefing around the perimeters of towns, but no one likes to bother the admins and mods over something like that. As it stands I still very strongly believe that re-implementing the original, no griefing or building within 100 blocks of a town (or even 50 if 100 is deemed too much), rule would be the best solution to this problem.
The main issue is we can't police that.
If we enable the rule, we just get PE's anyway, it's never been something we punish for unless it was extreme.
How can we give you the tools to protect what you want protected. You don't have build in a whole chunk.

Dielan9999

Legacy Supporter 5
If we enable the rule, we just get PE's anyway, it's never been something we punish for unless it was extreme.
How can we give you the tools to protect what you want protected. You don't have build in a whole chunk.

One solution is to modify the wall height rule so we can make bigger walls. The further in region you build the taller the raider's pillars become because there are so many ways to jump far and not take fall damage in HC. If we are willing to punish for extreme pillaring then allow us to make walls only extreme pillaring can scale and set the expectation pillars need to be cleaned up by the players who made them.[/QUOTE]

Symbolite

Legacy Supporter 7

This used to be policed all the time.
And it was something that people were punished for, rather harshly might I add. Perhaps a little too harshly at times. I've been a Guide and a Moderator during these times, I know what the PE's looked like, I knew how stupid some of them were. I replied already to this thread stating exactly what the PE's were like. The old rules were perhaps not the best in that regard but they got the job done.

Anyway, I stand by what I originally stated in this thread back on page 1. Bring rules back but modify them in such a way that allows for the best of both worlds.

On the subject of pillaring and griefing, I entered a town last night and on my way in I removed some other raiders pillar because it was taking away from the beauty of the structure I was trying to loot. I also tried to enter someone's personal region that was built inside of an unregioned structure. Sure I poked holes in the structure looking for a way in but because of the way I have been brought up on this server and my personal like for the structure I was poking I did in fact replace every single block I broke out of respect of old rules, this server and the unknown player who put so much time and effort into their build. Only seconds were wasted in order to undo my actions and the actions of others. I think it's reasonable to ask others to do the same out of respect to their server. If they don't respect their server then they don't belong on this server.

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
This used to be policed all the time.
And it was something that people were punished for, rather harshly might I add. Perhaps a little too harshly at times. I've been a Guide and a Moderator during these times, I know what the PE's looked like, I knew how stupid some of them were. I replied already to this thread stating exactly what the PE's were like. The old rules were perhaps not the best in that regard but they got the job done.

Anyway, I stand by what I originally stated in this thread back on page 1. Bring rules back but modify them in such a way that allows for the best of both worlds.

On the subject of pillaring and griefing, I entered a town last night and on my way in I removed some other raiders pillar because it was taking away from the beauty of the structure I was trying to loot. I also tried to enter someone's personal region that was built inside of an unregioned structure. Sure I poked holes in the structure looking for a way in but because of the way I have been brought up on this server and my personal like for the structure I was poking I did in fact replace every single block I broke out of respect of old rules, this server and the unknown player who put so much time and effort into their build. Only seconds were wasted in order to undo my actions and the actions of others. I think it's reasonable to ask others to do the same out of respect to their server. If they don't respect their server then they don't belong on this server.
And if everyone was respectful and followed the old rules I don't think there'd be an issue, but not everyone was around when that was the norm.
At this point, Kainzo and the Admins would need to decide if these rules should be implemented. I could see:

1: Pillars being PEable, but really illegal, but staff would assist in cleaning them up
2: Instead of no building, I think it should be no destruction withing X of a town, and mayors can PE for staff to assist in clean up as with pillars

coming in. Though it's not up to me.