• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Residence system discussion

Alator

Ancient Soul
Legacy Supporter 7
Remastered Tier 2 Supporter
I have been getting many comments about the new residence system, so I wanted to take some time to talk about it and get some more feedback.

FIRST: Residences have not been removed. Many people seem confused about this. The plugin titled Residences has been pulled out, and the personal housing system is now managed by Townships.

SECOND: Residences are managed by the Township plugin. They are otherwise not connected to player-built towns. You do not need to be in a town to have a residence, and you can have a residence and also be in a town.

Okay, now that that's out of the way, let me give you a rundown of how residences are priced out, and why I did what I did.

Residence Costs

There are currently 10 sizes of residences, from 9x9x9 for non-supporters to 27x27x27 for Tier 9 supporters. All residences currently cost 1,000 souls to place, with a 15 soul per day rent (a.k.a. activity monitor). Worried about the rent? Vote at three of the seven sites and you're good. hc.to/vote. The reasoning behind the flat cost for all residences is this: the way townships currently works, build permissions for structures is assigned by groups. I can create a group for various structures to be in, and then limit the number of buildings in that group a player can build. However, as far as I can tell, I cannot limit specific structures, only groups. What this means, is I have assigned each residence size to a different group, and then made it so non-donors can only build Shelters, Tier 1 donors can only build Tier1 residences, etc. Otherwise, I wouldn't have way to limit who builds what under the current system.

Under the old residence system, set-up costs were based on a per-block basis, as players could select the size they actually wanted to use. Higher tier supporters were given cheaper per-block fees, but allowed more blocks, so they would end up paying more for a max-sized residence, but less for a similar size to a lower tier.

So, I feel it would be highly unfair to higher tier supporters who want a personal residence to be forced to purchase increasingly expensive regions simply because of how much they have donated to the server. This seems counter-intuitive. Instead, their perk is that they are allowed a greater region size.

Region Effects

Residences can be given the same effects as any township region. Effects are things like denying block break, chest access, pvp off, TnT protection, etc. Currently, they have the effects of deny_block_break, deny_block_place, and deny_door_use. They do not disable PvP, and they are still able to be raided with TnT to keep them in line with the previous system and to not make them unfair in comparison to towns.

Discussion Points:

1. Do you agree with my analysis of residence costs? Do you have an alternate suggestions based on the limitations I have described?
  2. Do you agree with the current effects set?

Alator

Ancient Soul
Legacy Supporter 7
I still think chests should be openable. Dirt on top Ok! But blow the dirt off with Tnt? Forgot to place it back? You lost your stuff in a raid.
The only way to completely lock a chest should be LWC's. Which have a high cost for non-donors, and a slightly less high cost for donors as you climb the tiers.

Just my 2 cents.
Otherwise it all sounds good.

Currently, they have the effects of deny_block_break, deny_block_place, and deny_door_use.

CoolBeans279

Legacy Supporter 3
I have been getting many comments about the new residence system, so I wanted to take some time to talk about it and get some more feedback.

FIRST: Residences have not been removed. Many people seem confused about this. The plugin titled Residences has been pulled out, and the personal housing system is now managed by Townships.

SECOND: Residences are managed by the Township plugin. They are otherwise not connected to player-built towns. You do not need to be in a town to have a residence, and you can have a residence and also be in a town.

Okay, now that that's out of the way, let me give you a rundown of how residences are priced out, and why I did what I did.

Residence Costs

There are currently 10 sizes of residences, from 9x9x9 for non-supporters to 27x27x27 for Tier 9 supporters. All residences currently cost 1,000 souls to place, with a 15 soul per day rent (a.k.a. activity monitor). Worried about the rent? Vote at three of the seven sites and you're good. hc.to/vote. The reasoning behind the flat cost for all residences is this: the way townships currently works, build permissions for structures is assigned by groups. I can create a group for various structures to be in, and then limit the number of buildings in that group a player can build. However, as far as I can tell, I cannot limit specific structures, only groups. What this means, is I have assigned each residence size to a different group, and then made it so non-donors can only build Shelters, Tier 1 donors can only build Tier1 residences, etc. Otherwise, I wouldn't have way to limit who builds what under the current system.

Under the old residence system, set-up costs were based on a per-block basis, as players could select the size they actually wanted to use. Higher tier supporters were given cheaper per-block fees, but allowed more blocks, so they would end up paying more for a max-sized residence, but less for a similar size to a lower tier.

So, I feel it would be highly unfair to higher tier supporters who want a personal residence to be forced to purchase increasingly expensive regions simply because of how much they have donated to the server. This seems counter-intuitive. Instead, their perk is that they are allowed a greater region size.

Region Effects

Residences can be given the same effects as any township region. Effects are things like denying block break, chest access, pvp off, TnT protection, etc. Currently, they have the effects of deny_block_break, deny_block_place, and deny_door_use. They do not disable PvP, and they are still able to be raided with TnT to keep them in line with the previous system and to not make them unfair in comparison to towns.

Discussion Points:

1. Do you agree with my analysis of residence costs? Do you have an alternate suggestions based on the limitations I have described?
  2. Do you agree with the current effects set?
I can say i successfully made a 15x15x15 T3 one, and I'm very satisfied with it :D

I do think my T3 one is huge though, and for 1k i feel it was worth it. But 1k for a 27x27x27 one? that seems a bit too cheap. But since they are also donor perks i think the 1k price for all is a given.

Alator

Ancient Soul
Legacy Supporter 7
I can say i successfully made a 15x15x15 T3 one, and I'm very satisfied with it :D

I do think my T3 one is huge though, and for 1k i feel it was worth it. But 1k for a 27x27x27 one? that seems a bit too cheap. But since they are also donor perks i think the 1k price for all is a given.

I'm glad you like it! As far as cost goes, I compare a residence to a Tribe (smallest Township), as a single player can own a Tribe. Residences are cheaper to set up with a minimal daily tax. The primary benefits of a residence over a tribe are cost and the inability to be sieged (still can be raided, though, arguably easier than siegeing a town) and not needing to manage all the buildings/resources. Tribes are more expensive (about 2000 souls for a council room and a region) while being about 3x larger than the largest residence, and with a few hundred more souls and some good management, can even generate a nice profit.

Last edited:

Beau_Nearh

Portal
Here's my thoughts on it;

+Very fair price at 1000 for making this shelter
+Donator ranks do seem fair considering the levels of donations
+agree with the limitations they have (such as PVP on in them, TNT explosions on) (I'm guessing the PVP flag being on doesn't matter on the PVE island?)
+Not sure on the daily costs, would prefer it to be bundled in a cost bi-daily/ weekly (30 every 2 days OR 105 per week)

I think that's everything I've got to say about them

Alator

Ancient Soul
Legacy Supporter 7
Here's my thoughts on it;

+Very fair price at 1000 for making this shelter
+Donator ranks do seem fair considering the levels of donations
+agree with the limitations they have (such as PVP on in them, TNT explosions on) (I'm guessing the PVP flag being on doesn't matter on the PVE island?)
+Not sure on the daily costs, would prefer it to be bundled in a cost bi-daily/ weekly (30 every 2 days OR 105 per week)

I think that's everything I've got to say about them
I'll check when I get home tonight, but I believe the only Upkeep effects are daily and random. I could be wrong. I'll let you know.

Alator

Ancient Soul
Legacy Supporter 7
Yeah, there is currently only a daily upkeep effect.

Alator

Ancient Soul
Legacy Supporter 7
Thought so, would there be a possibility of linking the 'shelter' to a town bank just in case player funds drop to 0?
No. Residences are separate from townships, and are to be managed individually. Although who knows, this could happen anyway, the plugin does some funny things sometimes.

Beau_Nearh

Portal
No. Residences are separate from townships, and are to be managed individually. Although who knows, this could happen anyway, the plugin does some funny things sometimes.

Haha, alright. Once I set more things up ill post an update here on if it does or not.

Kenneth_Chow

Retired Staff
Max Legacy Supporter
Is it possible we add an option have have anti piston flag because there's no point in a protected area when a engineer can just use pistons to get in and take anything?

Jonsoon

Legacy Supporter 8
Is it possible we add an option have have anti piston flag because there's no point in a protected area when a engineer can just use pistons to get in and take anything?
The piston would be placed outside the region, so that would not really help.
Though, I am certain we have always been against this form of raiding. @Admins @Moderators

Kenneth_Chow

Retired Staff
Max Legacy Supporter
The piston would be placed outside the region, so that would not really help.
Though, I am certain we have always been against this form of raiding. [USERGROUP=9][USERGROUP=9]@Admins[/USERGROUP][/USERGROUP] [USERGROUP=12][USERGROUP=12]@Moderators[/USERGROUP][/USERGROUP]
The old RES plugin had a flag for pistons that would stop any block in the region to be moved by pistons despite if the piston was outside the region..so i'd assume it would be possible in towns 3.0

Alator

Ancient Soul
Legacy Supporter 7
There is currently no check for non-players moving blocks. It's something we need to add in.