• Guest, we are doing a new map (refresh) for Herocraft. Gather your friends and get ready! Coming next Friday, 06/28/24 @ 7PM CT play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Removing Creeper Explosions

Onep

Stone
I don't see how creeper explosions help support any element of enjoyment on this server. If anything it is a hindrance to the players who can't region their own structures. Creepers destroy the natural terrain and create obnoxious pitfalls. The explosions also destroy roads and bridges making it a pain to travel, because who wants to travel up and down roads repairing them? Creepers might be a fun mob in single player where you don't have to deal with the mistakes of others, but in a multiplayer setting where so much is considered "griefing" how can a mob built to grief be allowed?

Now, before I get the typical "LOL LERN 2 FITE DEM!" argument I'd like to point out that I am not always the person who has the creeper blow up on me. Sometimes it's the people who are standing by your building that cause the explosion. Maybe someone even kited the creeper there in the first place (and how can anyone prove that?)

I would also like to make a statement against the "THIS SERVER IS LEGITHARDCORE U DONT LIKE IT THEN LEAVE" argument. How do creeper explosions make this server hardcore? They can't be used to break into cities thanks to regioning (that isn't very hardcore now is it?) All they do is harass people who want to have a house or shop outside of a city.

Those are my arguments against creeper explosions. I'd love to see other people's opinions for or against creeper explosions.

elf_of_fire

Stone
With mob speeds increased to maximum overdrive, its neigh impossible for any non-rogue class to kill a creeper. All you can get off are two or three lucky hits, before it blows up.

T

Trok

I hate this so much, every time I'm off raiding bases, some creeper comes up and blows up, then I have to take time out of my day going back and forth repairing the base to what it was in the beginning... Its quite annoying.

richfish57

Legacy Supporter 6
I know creepers add a good level of "Oh shi-*explode*" to the game, but they -do- destroy the landscape. I would consider best solution to be if the explosions hurt players still, but didn't blow up blocks. No idea if it's possible though.

I've been on a server with it removed before, I still panicked at seeing creepers but when they just walk up to you and stand there pathetically it's kinda funny. But for this server that would just lead to free xp...So unless they can still hurt people, or removed entirely I think they should still explode

Psychokhaos

Legacy Supporter 3
In the 2.5.2 change log, Kain posted:
"Terrain damage via Creepers has been disabled for the time being"
Just thought I'd post that here for easier viewing. ;)

whitemagehealu

Legacy Supporter 7
Kainzo mentioned he's not against removing Creeper Explosions, but to be honest, I love watching people run from them and eventually die.

Doesn't have anything to do with terrain damage. lol Creepers can do damage to players without causing damage to the map. :s

Dsawemd

Wiki Team
Legacy Supporter 8
I was recently punished for the damage a creeper did to randomacronym's rail station as a result of the explosion that killed me from behind (I never saw the extent of the damage). I died and rage quit (I was close to lvling) and never repaired or pe'd the damage, so it was griefing. I only knew what happened after being punished because I asked random to show me where I griefed. I apologized and was only raped once by Lucky for this incident, so I got off easy, but it scared me to almost lose the community I love because of a creeper and my own forgetfulness.

Perhaps creepers could be reworked to destroy only certain blocks that no one builds (pretty things) with, like dirt, cobble, and sand.

Dazureus

Legacy Supporter 4
Is decreasing the blast radius practical? If you could do that, they could still do some damage without causing quite so much hysteria. It is a bit of a shame that they take out the natural landscape, though, and I'll agree that they aren't super-practical for a high-population multiplayer server.

whitemagehealu

Legacy Supporter 7
I was recently punished for the damage a creeper did to randomacronym's rail station as a result of the explosion that killed me from behind (I never saw the extent of the damage). I died and rage quit (I was close to lvling) and never repaired or pe'd the damage, so it was griefing. I only knew what happened after being punished because I asked random to show me where I griefed. I apologized and was only raped once by Lucky for this incident, so I got off easy, but it scared me to almost lose the community I love because of a creeper and my own forgetfulness.

Perhaps creepers could be reworked to destroy only certain blocks that no one builds (pretty things) with, like dirt, cobble, and sand.

lol - Being punished for something they turned on.

Dsawemd

Wiki Team
Legacy Supporter 8
lol - Being punished for something they turned on.
no, i was punished for not repairing it/pe'ing it, although at the time I did not know I could PE creeper damage, and like I said, i died from behind so I could not see the damage to the station, although I could have reasonably inferred that there would be damage to the area of the train station.

oh well its off for now. :)

whitemagehealu

Legacy Supporter 7
no, i was punished for not repairing it/pe'ing it, although at the time I did not know I could PE creeper damage, and like I said, i died from behind so I could not see the damage to the station, although I could have reasonably inferred that there would be damage to the area of the train station.

oh well its off for now. :)

Even if you petitioned it I've seen Apherdite say they won't repair creeper damage. Neither shall I. lol

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team

We don't ban on first offenses for grief any more. We ban for multiple offenses, if the punishment was too harsh for a very clear mistake - we apologize.