• Guest, we are doing a new map (refresh) for Herocraft. Gather your friends and get ready! Coming next Friday, 06/28/24 @ 7PM CT play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Remove "randomness" in general from the game.

what777

Max Legacy Supporter
I wish to remove/change all spells that are based on a percentage value, for example blackjack can win or lose a fight depending on how much/if it procs at all.

Anyways, I got a few ideas for skills I know that have a percentage value.

SmeltGold: Smelt 4 Gold ore for 5 Gold Ingots with a 60second CD. (This does NOT speed up smelting, just makes it not random).
BlackJack: Remove the ability, but a good stun on Smoke (After becoming visible next hit stuns for 2-3 sec or something?)

Anyways, any other ideas please post here.

lioIIoil

Legacy Supporter 7
I wish to remove/change all spells that are based on a percentage value, for example blackjack can win or lose a fight depending on how much/if it procs at all.

Anyways, I got a few ideas for skills I know that have a percentage value.

SmeltGold: Smelt 4 Gold ore for 5 Gold Ingots with a 60second CD. (This does NOT speed up smelting, just makes it not random).
BlackJack: Remove the ability, but a good stun on Smoke (After becoming visible next hit stuns for 2-3 sec or something?)

Anyways, any other ideas please post here.

How about remove black jack and make backstab have a stun.

Delfofthebla

Legacy Supporter 4
Retired Staff
I'd like to move towards removing it, but to be honest, I think Kainzo is wanting to add more of it.

I find randomization to be really lame, and it was originally introduced to RPG's to simulate fault or skill to a character. Since this is a first person action based game, I see no need for us to maintain a randomization factor for combat based abilities. Out of combat stuff, well, it's whatever I guess.

Either way: Java sucks at randomization from what I've seen--I don't trust it for damn.

Techmight

Stone
Either way: Java sucks at randomization from what I've seen--I don't trust it for damn.

Amen, brutha. I don't ever enjoy this "randomized" kind of stuff in games. It's been terrible since the days of DOS, when I started gaming with my dad. ._.

To illustrate the perspective a bit easier I'll say this: If we HIT, we HIT. If we MISS, we MISS. If we do hit, then the ability that relies on a successful hit should be completely applied. Not have its' efficacy randomized.

Out of combat stuff would be a bit more acceptable for this randomized sort of thing, I'd suppose. But with CraftBukkit and other plugins, we could do so much better to make crafting dynamic and somewhat random. Perhaps an actual forge/smeltery, a-la Tinker's Construct?

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
The method in which blackjack works is horrible and you should not base your perception of "random" on it.

Not interested in removing randomness - with the coming updates, expect more randomness (but in a different manner) such as item-damage on weapons doing a spread.

what777

Max Legacy Supporter
The method in which blackjack works is horrible and you should not base your perception of "random" on it.

Not interested in removing randomness - with the coming updates, expect more randomness (but in a different manner) such as item-damage on weapons doing a spread.

Why do we need randomness? It makes the game based on RNG. TF2 has random crits too, but in competitive servers it is disabled for the reason that randomness makes it less skillbased.

RaekinTheBored

Legacy Supporter 7

I agree with you on moving towards less randomness, but Tinker's Construct has far too many items that will break pvp (as it's not a fully finished mod), and may require players to mod their .jar or use the Technic Launcher. Currently, HC is available to any user as soon as they purchase Minecraft and I can't imagine why Kainzo would want to lose any of the crowd.

Techmight

Stone
I meant that mainly the forging mechanics would make their way in. Not the customizable weapons or other aspects.

The key would be to separate and/or differentiate the forging/smelting mechanics of Tinkers' Construct enough to make it friendly and balanced for HeroCraft, not just a ripoff of TC slapped onto a server. But personally I would LOVE to actually own a blacksmithing shop that actually requires manual smelting that isn't just done in a menu. It would do wonders for immersion. Your point about HC being pick-up-and-play is noted. I'm not entirely sure how we'd be able to do something as expansive as that without requiring clientside mods. :/ oh well.. We can dream.

Or play the Hexxit server, I suppose. Diggity.

RaekinTheBored

Legacy Supporter 7
I meant that mainly the forging mechanics would make their way in. Not the customizable weapons or other aspects.

The key would be to separate and/or differentiate the forging/smelting mechanics of Tinkers' Construct enough to make it friendly and balanced for HeroCraft, not just a ripoff of TC slapped onto a server.

Indeed, basic Minecraft's simplistic craft in seconds does take the fun out of crafting. Something with more depth would be nice, but Heroes is already pretty restrictive on Vanilla Mechanics. Still, would give more value to a Smith.

Or play the Hexxit server, I suppose. Diggity.

Not to get too far off topic here, but can you imagine Hexxit with Hero Classes? : P

TheBrute2001

Legacy Supporter 5
Indeed, basic Minecraft's simplistic craft in seconds does take the fun out of crafting. Something with more depth would be nice, but Heroes is already pretty restrictive on Vanilla Mechanics. Still, would give more value to a Smith.

Not to get too far off topic here, but can you imagine Hexxit with Hero Classes? : P

With hero classes it would be extremely more enjoyable

Fireballs raining down from my chocobo

-P.S. YOU ARE ALIVE!?!

Xhazed

Portal
I so agree with what what777 said cause sometimes i loose a fight cause blackjack wount work as much as i would want it to do but sometimes i would easilie win a fighr because i got plenty of stuns, so this is not fair for me or for the other player, 1 because you cant trust it and secondly because it barely randomizes it properly or i get a shit ton of stuns or i get none at all.

Techmight

Stone
With hero classes it would be extremely more enjoyable

Eeexactly. It would be insane. That crappy half-class, half-specialized armor bit with the Thief, Tribal and Scale armor would be gone. They'd actually mean something with Hero Classes. Gaaah I would greatly enjoy that. :D

Erm, anyway... Perhaps another road we could take is something like Skyrim? It is mostly menu-based, but at least you get to see the animations and such occurring in front of you as the crafting progresses. IE, I could see my siiick Drow skin pounding out his latest batch of diamond weapons. I think I might die.

Ultanian

Portal
I think some randomness is good. For Critical Strikes and such. (If you don't like random abilities, don't rely on them. When it comes to chance always expect the the worse, so the good feels much better.)

RaekinTheBored

Legacy Supporter 7
I think some randomness is good. For Critical Strikes and such. (If you don't like random abilities, don't rely on them. When it comes to chance always expect the the worse, so the good feels much better.)
This makes sense in a standard MMO, or in turn-based RPGs as there is not much action just the simple auto-attack and try not to fall asleep. This randomness to skills makes it more exciting and adds the illusion of skill (or luck). However, Minecraft is basically a first person shooter. The skill ascept is clearly there already as some will hit and some won't due to their own skill. I can understand this adds another curveball (variable) to the game where the outcome is not pre-determined, but without more of it, it just makes playing Ninja in a fight a gamble.

A stun from hitting enemies in the back (i.e. Gouge) would be much more ideal. Perhaps if it could be coded to only work while sneaking, but I do not know how difficult this would be. Honestly, a skill like Blackjack but instead does critical damage is something all combat classes should have if plans are to add more randomness. At least that would make every fight an exciting gamble instead of merely those with Ninjas involved. All or nothing. Thoughts?

what777

Max Legacy Supporter
This makes sense in a standard MMO, or in turn-based RPGs as there is not much action just the simple auto-attack and try not to fall asleep. This randomness to skills makes it more exciting and adds the illusion of skill (or luck). However, Minecraft is basically a first person shooter. The skill ascept is clearly there already as some will hit and some won't due to their own skill. I can understand this adds another curveball (variable) to the game where the outcome is not pre-determined, but without more of it, it just makes playing Ninja in a fight a gamble.

A stun from hitting enemies in the back (i.e. Gouge) would be much more ideal. Perhaps if it could be coded to only work while sneaking, but I do not know how difficult this would be. Honestly, a skill like Blackjack but instead does critical damage is something all combat classes should have if plans are to add more randomness. At least that would make every fight an exciting gamble instead of merely those with Ninjas involved. All or nothing. Thoughts?

No please, Ninja's already bad enough. It really ruins fights if you are lucky or unlucky. If you are lucky the enemy stands basically no chance, if you are unlucky you just dont get any stuns and probably will lose.
If all classes have this aspect to them only the RNG will decide if you will win or lose.
In games with items/gear etc you can balance critical since you trade something else for being able to have more chance to crit, in MC this isn't possible I think. For example in LoL some items have critical strike chance but have lower other stats, so it is balanced.

Xhazed

Portal
They should just make it so if u hit a person with a bone you get a 2 sec stun but there were to be a cooldown