• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Reason's to kill

phatfinger5

Glowing Redstone
Well the second guy had fireballs... The first has been trying to kill me.... And wondering if you like my idea?

deadfoe51

Stone
We are working to deter this behavior. We may outright just stop giving exp on pvp kills. I'm not certain.
You could always take my idea into account if you're trying to go more RPG and less PVP you can make it so that you need a valid Roleplay reason to attack/kill someone.. I've seen it done in many RPG servers and those servers are great.

deadfoe51

Stone
Well the second guy had fireballs... The first has been trying to kill me.... And wondering if you like my idea?
Your idea about the crafterlike class sounds like a factions mod (Factions mod isn't too badif you put restrictions and rules on it) and the highwayman just sounds like a person you can be in RP.

Carbash

Legacy Supporter 6
I feel you should wait it out, even if you lose all your loot you still are gaining levels. This is a very early stage of the map and this kind of thing happens. Do yourself a favor and start looking for towns to join, consider donating to get lwcs so you don't lose your belongings. There are many ways to avoid being attacked. Mine under an ocean most people wont bother you there. If you are looking to kill mobs keep moving, don't stay in one place too long.

Carbash

Legacy Supporter 6
I say this having been a complete noob last map and realize what you are going through. Don't build in the open, don't hide chests in obvious places. You can remove blocks to look for chests (as long as you replace them) so don't hide them in obvious places (under stairs)

phatfinger5

Glowing Redstone
Your idea about the crafterlike class sounds like a factions mod (Factions mod isn't too badif you put restrictions and rules on it) and the highwayman just sounds like a person you can be in RP.
I just realized that does sound like factions for the crafter thing, but you can level up and get buffs for it so you can get attacked in it less, or the do less damage in it, but can still break stuff etc.

The highway man does not have to be called that, but can work on that basis.

P.S. it would alert you if someone is in your territory.

phatfinger5

Glowing Redstone
Oh and the highway man or whatever you call him, also gets buffs, say more damage in the wild, or more damage in say a town when those are brought back, or even have more "highway man" class types, like a thug (more damage in a town" or an assassin (more damage crouched. Although now this sounds like stuff for karma or more classes.

phatfinger5

Glowing Redstone
You can remove blocks to look for chests (as long as you replace them)
You could hide it under obsidion as they would need a diamond pickaxe to mine it and replace it, and they can't use dia picks right away so they would be greifing. Then again you can't use it right away either... Just realized that and now feel dumb :p

Archestro

Legacy Supporter 6
We are working to deter this behavior. We may outright just stop giving exp on pvp kills. I'm not certain.
I'm not really into pvp, but maybe making XP proportionate to the level of your opponent is worth considering. So basically if a lvl 12 kills a lvl 10 he gets decent XP, but if a lvl 20 kills a lvl 10 then next to nothing. Just a thought.

Play nice out there;)

ThatAintFalco

Portal
I kos.

Why? Because it's fun. Makes things intereseting after killing mobs for god knows how long. I don't really care if I die, or if I do kill a person. In a role play sense I could be like,

"Detarbilate was a very innocent child. He picked grass, and sheered sheep with his widowed mother. On one dark and stormy night, a group of muscular men raided his small abode. They broke the fragile wooden door, and entered Detarbilate's dirt shack. The barbaric like men swung deep into Detarbilate's fleash until the ground was paved with her blood. Immediately after, they tore off his mother's clothes and began to eat her decaying flesh, right in front of young Detarbilate's eyes. Horrified by the event, Detarbilate hid underneath his bed, whilst the men were occupied eating the corpse. When the group vanished into the darkness, Detarbilate crawled out from under his bed and was reborn. He vowed to kill anyone he sees, in hopes of killing one of the barbaric scoundrels whom killed and ate his dear mother."

j2gay

Legacy Supporter 6
I have a suggestion that I think would deter this behavior as well as eliminating GY camping, as well as some other PvP balancing issues. Not quite sure how you would code it but I think its doable. Imagine a system where, when a player Kills another player within 2 levels of themselves They are awarded 40 exp. Exp then scales up or down based on level to level comparison between the players. For the first 20 levels it scales by 4 exp if killing up and 2 exp if killing down, from then on it scales by 8 or 4 respectively. Say for instance a level 32 Ranger kills a Level 34 Beguiler 40 exp is awarded. That same 32 ranger Kills a lvl 42 Dragoon they receive 80 exp. A lvl 32 Ranger kills a lvl 54 paladin they receive 120 exp, a lvl 64 wizard they receive 200 exp. On the flip side if the 32 ranger kills a lvl 20 ranger they receive only 20 exp, a level 10 ranger 0 exp. If they kill a lvl 10 lost soul they lose 120 exp.

How this can be done: I am not a coder, I do however believe it is possible to code. If I were to write an excel function to process the data with A representing the player who achieved the kill and B representing the player who was killed it would look something like this
EXP= IF((A-B) <3>-3, 40, (IF(A-B)>3<23, ((A-B)*-2)+40),(IF (A-B)>23,(A-B)*-4),(IF(A-B)<-3>-23,((A-B)*-4)+40),(IF (A-B)<-23,((A-B)*-8)-40),40)
I know that Excel formulas don't exactly translate to MC java but I think you get the idea.

What this will do for the HC experience:

1. There will no longer be any benefit for Level 60 Specs to Camp the homes and GY of new players looking for easy kills. While it may remain profitable and worth the exp loss to murder a low level who is out mining or such, in the hopes that they have loot, it will no longer be beneficial to pursue them after the first kill. Some may say that granting 0 exp for killing low levels would accomplish the same. They are mistaken. there are far too many players who enjoy harassing others and who would gladly spend their time killing newbs and noobs exp or not. However they would not wish to lose levels for the sake of said harassment.

2.There would now be a substantial benefit for Low level players to band together in large numbers and pursue higher level players in the hopes that they be the one to deal the final blow. This will encourage more PvP while creating a balance factor for the high level players who make their living going around solo attacking small groups of low levels who can be easily dispatched of.

3. Improve the overall balance and general player experience for all players in the HC community. By making it less desirable for players to kill every random player they come across, or to use lower levels as exp farms, the amount of friendly and cooperative interaction can be increased. It would now be more beneficial for high level players to assist and mentor new players. Players would still be allowed to be a**hats if they desire, it would just be far less profitable. PvP would still be possible for those who seek it, albeit more difficult to achieve that unstoppable feeling PvPers get from noob hunting. the PvP that occurred would likely be more balanced and hence more difficult. Player retention would be higher as new players would have a better chance to become established before being bullied off server.

j2gay

Legacy Supporter 6
Pretty tired she. I wrote that function so its probably ass backwards. I will fix it tomorrow.

Diavolo1988

Legacy Supporter 6
j2gay, your idea sounds good. However, I don't think one should lose exp for killing a low level. The main reason for killing someone should be to get their loot.

This server is certainly a PVP-server. However, it is also an RPG-server. In my impression Herocraft has been trying to become sort of a MMORPG of minecraft, and it has succeeded in that. However, if the goal is to not have everyone on the server either killing or fleeing from people they meet that they don't know, perhaps some changes could be made. Then again it is hard to make a script to know if something is war between two cities/kingdoms, defense from someone attacking you, or plain robbing/killing random people for loot and exp, so I don't see an easy fix for this. I have heard talk of some karma system, and j2gays suggestion seems like something that could be tried out.

For "evilness" to be more of an RPG thing, one could have staff/some new appointed council brand people who have been acting very lawless as criminals, making something visible on their name or something, and/or have some "officers of the law" hunt the criminals down. However, that would limit the pvp aspect of the server, and I think it would make it less fun for most people in the server.

When it somes to people being ganked by high levels, I would only say: "this is a hardcore server, people get killed and robbed if they can't defend themselves. Join a town, get friends and increase your combat abilities. It is supposed to be hard, but it is not impossible"

j2gay

Legacy Supporter 6
After talking with @Archestro about this idea I think a simpler solution would be better. A simple equation where A is the player making a kill and B is the player being killed. Exp=((A-B)*-3)+40 Similar effect easier to understand and code.