• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Rant/Nostalgia/Suggestion Thread

Tjundis

ICE ICE ICE!
I didn't know where to put this, but it's been something that I've thought about many times. Big ass wall-o-text incoming.

I used to play a lot on this server, usually amounts more than would be healthy for a human being, and it was because the server was so interesting and lively. More recently, I think the server has been lively, surely there are a lot of players online, but it doesn't feel the same. I'm not saying this because not all of the same people play, or simply because I miss some of the towns I had been a part of in previous maps, but more so due to changes in the game. Some have been for good, creating new and exciting aspects, but I personally - and I know the group of players that I shared my time with - feel that some changes have limited the enjoyment on the server. Around DG was the most fun I've had on any minecraft server, but as the wipes came, new rules came into play.

I found that things that caused a little bit of drama kept things interesting, and promoted working together with townmates/friends. People would raid towns, as not all the chests could usually be locked, and other allied towns would come to their aid, being pretty close together due to the map size. Some people, including me, spent a large amount of time trying to find region holes to enter and raid in secret, placing a mark before leaving. Towns stayed on their toes to plug these holes, and would organise counter-raids if the initial raid was painful enough. I found these events to be fun, as too many times towns would talk a lot behind walls and not do anything. Even when things happened to my towns, be it raiders or backstabbing former townies, they were entertaining; sure you'd die a few times, but then you pinpoint the mark and box it in with lava, problem solved.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Changes were made:

-Marks were disallowed in other towns, making big group fights and raiding less plentiful, and 3 on 1 attacks on someone mining/wandering more plentiful.

-Map size was expanded, but the (although large) population remained the same, making a journey to raid less appealing. Especially if the town being under siege just didn't want to come out and fight. Tracks became more required, and people began to hunt miners more, some even if they were clearly noobs.

- Pickpocketing was removed, Gold was removed as the method of gaining currency, making chaos worlds like warshard less sought after, and therefore less pvp-provoking.

-After much complaining that there was pvp on an rpg/pvp server, a pve world with reduced xp gains was made for those that wanted to build, but they would still want to come to the pvp world to mine or level up.

-The server continues to divide, map stayed large, almost everything is lwcd in pvp worlds, pve world has full experience and is safe, so why build or leave valuables anywhere else? The spoils of pvp becomes usually no more than spell reagents and armor, as anyone playing smart only brings their gear into battle.

It is obvious that this is a biased view from a person that enjoys pvp, but why come to a hardcore rpg pvp server looking for pve when there are thousands of pve servers, most likely hundreds with a town plugin.

I miss sneaking around hunting miners, I miss actually having spoils of a battle, I miss frequent teamfights, I miss dome of death, I miss spontaneous world pvp, I miss the stealth factor of trying to break into a region and steal unnoticed, or pickpocket a diamond at the mob arenas.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In all honesty the goal of playing on this map was probably going to be becoming an engineer and creating sneaky traps in the pve world, but I just read that any damage directly or indirectly caused by a player in the pve world is prohibited unless defending your house.

That being said, I by no means think the server is bad, I love the class and boost system, and might play occasionally. I just wanted to get that off my chest.

TLDR: I really wish that gold, pickpocketing, smaller map size, boats, town recalls, the single pvp world with a chaos world, and DoD came back.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
@Tjundis
It's easy to live in the past - but progression demands change.

Several things were flawed with pickpocketing (dupes/etc) which is why it was ultimately removed. We may still bring it back, but its only "good" in a no-pvp environment.

Conflict can bring for some interesting gameplay but only if its clearly described and fair. Resource maps still heavily affect monetary gain, so not sure where this came about.

It's the goal of any server to appeal to its user base. Facts don't lie, we have 5000 unique logs in on PVE and only 2500 on PVP. So there's a large amount of users on Herocraft that direly do NOT want PVP and a great share that do. Don't think of it that we're cutting out more PVP, we're just enabling more people to play on the server.

Thanks for your feedback, I enjoy reading about old things and knowing how players feel about things we put in the game.

Tjundis

ICE ICE ICE!
Thanks for taking the time to read all of that, it is really easy to live in the past. I suppose I just miss how readily available raiding and pvp was back then. You run a damn fine server and I want to thank you for providing the stage for a lot of good times that I've had so far. I wish you a good night, you might see me in-game sometime in the near future.

Ellron23

Legacy Supporter 3
@TjundisFacts don't lie, we have 5000 unique logs in on PVE and only 2500 on PVP. So there's a large amount of users on Herocraft that direly do NOT want PVP and a great share that do. Don't think of it that we're cutting out more PVP, we're just enabling more people to play on the server.

You keep saying this but I think player retention is a much more impressive stat than one time logins. As in, how many players are still playing after a week or month on PvE or PvP. Care to share those metrics?

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Bring back north road pvp or some showdown's at Airbus's shop and I'll be happy.
While i love this - the conquest points provide similar gameplay - the removal of borderhopping removed the "hot spot" near no-pvp zones, though.

You keep saying this but I think player retention is a much more impressive stat than one time logins. As in, how many players are still playing after a week or month on PvE or PvP. Care to share those metrics?
1300 players have been active on PVP in the last 7 days.
1860 players have been active on PVE in the last 7 days.

4070 unique players have been back to Heroes Landing in the last 7 days.

We won't be sharing any information regarding player donations or store purchases.

I_Love_Miners

Legacy Supporter 5
yes, I would be much more curious to hear stats on time played on the pvp server vs pve, or money donated from people that play on pvp, or really any stat that would make me agree with a pve map even existing. but @Ellron23 is right, player retention is truly the only thing that matters when youre bringing in new players, and I think any server would much prefer to have 1000 unique ip's with 400 of them logging in regularly than 10000 ips with only 150 logging in. I mean, on any given day I log in, I recognize 60-70% of the names from bastion

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
yes, I would be much more curious to hear stats on time played on the pvp server vs pve, or money donated from people that play on pvp, or really any stat that would make me agree with a pve map even existing. but @Ellron23 is right, player retention is truly the only thing that matters when youre bringing in new players, and I think any server would much prefer to have 1000 unique ip's with 400 of them logging in regularly than 10000 ips with only 150 logging in. I mean, on any given day I log in, I recognize 60-70% of the names from bastion
We will never remove the PVE / RPG maps. It's the direction (appealing to all facets of gameplay) that the server is moving and a happy balance of both is good for the community. Several players would not be on Herocraft if there was "only" a PVP server.

We happily will continue updating both PVE and PVP gameplay though! :)

Last edited:

Faunherer

Legacy Supporter 4
While i love this - the conquest points provide similar gameplay - the removal of borderhopping removed the "hot spot" near no-pvp zones, though.
I love the conquest points because they are valuable targets, and encourage pvp in other spots around the map. The build themselves remind me of the old mob arenas (possibly was an old mob arena? Can't quite remember).

Is there any chance of mob arenas returning, with reduced or no exp from the mobs but small rewards after certain waves instead?

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
I love the conquest points because they are valuable targets, and encourage pvp in other spots around the map. The build themselves remind me of the old mob arenas (possibly was an old mob arena? Can't quite remember).

Is there any chance of mob arenas returning, with reduced or no exp from the mobs but small rewards after certain waves instead?
I would much rather throw in Dungeons that offer similar experience - the actual "mob arena" code is run on pretty dated things. I think something similar will grace Herocraft - either on central or adventure map.

The goal is to have fun and entertaining things while maintaining balance and fairness for everyone.

Faunherer

Legacy Supporter 4
I would much rather throw in Dungeons that offer similar experience - the actual "mob arena" code is run on pretty dated things. I think something similar will grace Herocraft - either on central or adventure map.

The goal is to have fun and entertaining things while maintaining balance and fairness for everyone.
Dungeons do sound more challenging...

Jrr_

Architect
Balance Team
Adventure Team
Legacy Supporter 3
@Tjundis get bloody @Celvick and the boiz playing again! Come on it would be so much fun! get back to me soon mate.

Jrr_

Architect
Balance Team
Adventure Team
Legacy Supporter 3

I need to get back working on these dungeons!

Northac

Obsidian
I like playing HC, and as someone who doesn't care for pvp much the pve map makes me very happy. When i first found the server to apply for white list it was advertised as a Hardcore RPG server (with some pvp ) a strait pvp server would not need the professions in the first place as well

WitchOnaRampage

Legacy Supporter 9
I'm really enjoying having both the PvE and PvP maps. I reckon almost all our town members use both maps, thoroughly.

Interesting to note that there are now 30 regioned towns on PvP (accounting for 520 players) and 5 or 6 on PvE (110 players).

I like to see game features that encourage players to strive for common goals - and mostly I mean the development of towns.

Town upgrades need to be doable - hard work, yes, but still within reach.

Last edited: