• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Rangers...?

arcanegrove

Obsidian
Hey guys, gonna start by saying, I have never played ranger nor do I wish to.

So, I've heard a lot about rangers wanting more mobility/fun factor, which has lead me to making these ideas. Firstly, I ask why hasn't rangers been giving any type of movement buff/skill? It seems that many rangers would like ice arrows be reduced, and a speed skill given. Rangers have possibly the WORST speed issue in minecraft, because of their bow making them move slow. I have seen an idea for reducing the speed factor of pulling a bow, but nobody having any idea if that is possible.

Thus, I now ask if it is possible to cancel out the bow-pulling by giving the ranger a windwalk/one skill. AKA, making ranger move normal speed by giving them speed buffs.

Or, if its possible, make a skill for "Quick-shotting". This skill would act as if the ranger pulled his bow fully back, but only requires him to pull for 1/4-1/2 the time. Maybe do more damage? Cooldown?

Or just give them back flip, which would be boring...

I think these would mostly fix rangers' mobility problems

Multis_Revenge12

A frightening Cactus!
I don't like "quick shoot" they already do about 2 hearts to casters :/ and it can be exploited to shoot faster as well.

madpear

Legacy Supporter 5
I'm not really a fan of "arrow draw speed up" skills either. Otherwise, I agree 100% with everything arcanegrove said. All the experienced players I've spoken to say the same things as well, NOT just people currently spec'd to Ranger and wanting more power.

Dsawemd

Legacy Supporter 8
Ranger arrow damage is bouncing around, it was 240 the other day LOL!

Since apparently Ranger is experiencing in-game balance changes based on how easy Staff thinks it is to land an arrow in slightly increased lag, why not take this week to try out "-20 arrow damage, Ranger with a speed/mobility skill"

Delfofthebla

Legacy Supporter 4
Retired Staff
In my opinion, while Ranger is a really weak class right now, it is close to being viable. It just needs a few small pushes to get it in the direction it needs to be.

1. Give Rangers the Backflip skill, and then call it Disengage.
So, currently, rangers have no mobility, and no "raiding" viability. As a Ninja player, I can say that backflip has gotten me out of a fair amount of shit, and has also aided in me being able to catch other players. It's not nearly as powerful as Jump due to the fact that it only goes backwards, but I believe that because a Ranger can still attack from a distance, this would synergize with them very well. It would give them stronger defenses when being attacked, while also buffing their ability to deal damage due to the ability to create a gap between you and your opponent.​
It fits the "theme" and it's just what they need. It may feel cheezy, but I don't really believe that it is. I think that the mechanic of "Backflip" is much more Ranger-esque than Ninja-esque anyways.​

2. If possible, allow them to move at full speed while pulling back an arrow.
This is a pretty insane change that I'm not even entirely sure is possible (from a programming standpoint). If it is however, it would be an amazing addition to the Rangers arsenal. This would allow them to actually "hunt down" targets, and even freely switch targets as they need to.​
Currently, the Ranger class is 100% reliant on landing ice arrows from start to finish. Players are just too fast, and without an ice arrow, it's difficult to land shots. With Ice Arrow applied, because you are slowed while you prepare your shots, both you and your target are essentially moving at the same speeds. I think it's a tad silly that a ranger that is focusing a target is just as hindered as their target. This proposed change would allow them to have some leeway in terms of accuracy, allow them to switch targets without too much drawback, and actually hunt a prey that they have initiated on.​
Granted, if this WERE to be added. Ice Arrow has to be nerfed to compensate. The slow on Ice Arrow is one of the strongest in the game, and if they were to have unhindered movement combined with it, I don't think it would be very balanced.​

-----

In the end, the ranger still has a very lacking amount of "skill usage" compared to other classes. Many of their arrow types are worthless or lacking, and the Wolf skill is silly and pointless. The basic strategy for all fights is to pop ice arrow and just spam your left clicks until you've killed the target. A mere one skill use. Altering the balance of his other abilities is a perfectly reasonable decision, and probably a desirable outcome. It's just that, well, I think rather than adding in basic damaging abilities all over the place, the structure of how the Ranger "plays" should be evolved instead.

madpear

Legacy Supporter 5
It looks like the Track CD was not changed from 120 to 60.

Also, whatever happened to the "targeted" mobility skill that was coming for Rangers?